2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Does this car have Integral Active Steering

12-26-2011, 06:03 AM   #1
Vladiik
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 m5

Does this car have Integral Active Steering

Hello does this car have integral active steering ? heres video

because its seems like it drifts in all corners
NOW F10 M5
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2011, 07:40 AM   #2
Losco
Second Lieutenant
Japan
Rep
Drives: F10 528i M-sport

that's because they're drifting it lol
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2011, 08:29 AM   #3
Vladiik
Private
Rep

Look
is this how car looks with integral active steering ? if so i would be ashamed to drive it lol
NOW F10 M5
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2011, 01:23 PM   #4
Vladiik
Private
Rep

any answers?
NOW F10 M5
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2012, 12:11 AM   #5
ibimmer954
Major
Rep
Drives: '23 i4 M50, '15 M3, '18 911

Garage List
I don't understand your question. IAS has to do with how the steering feels and the amount of effort you have to put into steering the car. It doesn't have to do with how you drive the car. You aren't going to be able to tell if a car has IAS based on how the driver is driving the car. You will only know when you sit behind the wheel and try to drive the car yourself.

My 535i features IAS. I have driven a 550i without IAS. In my opinion, the IAS really makes the car feel more nimble and more alive. It's especially useful in low-speed situations like driving around a parking lot and around tight corners. It takes a lot less effort at low speed to get the car to move in the direction you want. Clearly the non-IAS cars are designed such that they feel better at high speed with the tradeoff being they are more difficult to drive at lower speeds. Again, this is in a relative sense. I'm not saying non-IAS cars are hard to drive at low speed, just they are relatively harder to drive.

Remember, these are my opinions. Others was may feel differently. I do not regret getting IAS on my car.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2012, 04:13 AM   #6
delvek
Major
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2014 550i Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibimmer346 View Post
I don't understand your question. IAS has to do with how the steering feels and the amount of effort you have to put into steering the car. It doesn't have to do with how you drive the car. You aren't going to be able to tell if a car has IAS based on how the driver is driving the car. You will only know when you sit behind the wheel and try to drive the car yourself.

My 535i features IAS. I have driven a 550i without IAS. In my opinion, the IAS really makes the car feel more nimble and more alive. It's especially useful in low-speed situations like driving around a parking lot and around tight corners. It takes a lot less effort at low speed to get the car to move in the direction you want. Clearly the non-IAS cars are designed such that they feel better at high speed with the tradeoff being they are more difficult to drive at lower speeds. Again, this is in a relative sense. I'm not saying non-IAS cars are hard to drive at low speed, just they are relatively harder to drive.

Remember, these are my opinions. Others was may feel differently. I do not regret getting IAS on my car.
Well said except I notice an increase in handling and stability at high speeds 100mph over non-IAS equipped 550's.

There is a product video put out by BMW that shows the affects and physical mechanics of the IAS, it's somewhere in the forums if your interested.
      01-01-2012, 12:53 PM   #7
Vladiik
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibimmer346 View Post

My question wash , does car with active steering look like car in second video 7 series bmw watch it , its looks like its been damaged or its because it have a ias ?
NOW F10 M5
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2012, 02:29 PM   #8
ibimmer954
Major
Rep
Drives: '23 i4 M50, '15 M3, '18 911

Garage List
I don't get it. I don't see what's "wrong" with the car in the video other than the driver is tailgating the car in front of him. But either way, I don't see how you could ever tell if a car has IAS by watching someone drive it.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2012, 04:11 PM   #9
delvek
Major
Germany
Rep

Meh, I think I see what OP is hinting at (back end seems yo float independent of front) and this is not a characteristic of IAS outside of Russian mod shops.
      01-02-2012, 09:27 AM   #10
Vladiik
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by delvek View Post
Meh, I think I see what OP is hinting at (back end seems yo float independent of front) and this is not a characteristic of IAS outside of Russian mod shops.
Thanks i thought that was IAS , im going to order 535 with IAS NOW THANK YOU , so the car is broken ?
NOW F10 M5
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2012, 09:39 AM   #11
delvek
Major
Germany
Rep

I dont know what it is but it isnt how my car looks and I have driven behind my F10 with IAS when my wife was driving (scary but true). I do see the 4 wheel independent look the video has like its a shopping cart loose in a Netto parking lot.
      01-02-2012, 10:23 AM   #12
davesf
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 550xi DSB, black nappa

That second car video has hints that it might have IAS. if you watch the rear rim, it seem to leave the plane that is the side of the car. As for his inability to stay in the lane, who knows. FYI - my manual says you can disable IAS.

AFAIK, the tradeoff with IAS is NOT worse handling at high speed, but worse handling in variable speed situations (because IAS makes the steering angle dependent on both steering wheel angle and vehicle speed).

On a track or a variable speed twisty road (possibly like video #2), it might be hard to use the exact steering input required for your current speed, so there could be some sense of the car over-or-under steering relative to what you expected. I've never driven IAS in these conditions, though i read a post from an IAS owner implying this is the case.

I can't test any of this, because my 550xi has blissfully linear and smooth hydraulic steering which doesn't offer either AS (variable ratio) or IAS (four-wheel steering).

In conclusion, IAS provides tighter turning radius at low speeds and softer body movement in high speed lane changes. This makes it easier to handle both at low and high speeds, with the compromise occuring suring speed transitions. I personally liked IAS at parking lot speeds, but prefer the linear response of non-IAS for overall driveability.

Past [ 2005 Audi S4 ] [ 1998 Subaru Legacy GT ]

Last edited by davesf; 01-02-2012 at 03:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2012, 11:12 AM   #13
delvek
Major
Germany
Rep

Not sure where the rest of your last sentence was going but I am 100% pleased with the IAS (and my entire configuration) and feel at high speeds there is no better option for the current F10 configuration.

The only tempting tidbit of an xi was its slightly quicker launch, but then I thought about my driving and realized I left launches from red lights when I graduated high school and for me its all about rolling acceleration and the i is faster then the xi from that standpoint, if for any reason the sheer weight difference.

If I was going to drive my F10 in the snow throughout winter then I can see its benefits.

In the end, I put my faith in the BMW engineers who have gotten us all into (or want to be) one in the first place. They have not disappointed me yet. As for the 4 wheel illogical visual feedback, do you really think BMW would release a product like that and under what premise if you do?