2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK BMW F10 Rear Coil Spring Broken

03-08-2017, 01:04 PM   #1
t_dawg1
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 5 Series F10

My car just back from oil service and brake fluid change today and the technician advised me that one of the rear cool springs has snapped at the bottom hence will need replacing asap. Anyone have this happen before and roughly what does dealer charge to replace? Car is 6 months into AUC warranty so should be covered by it?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2017, 04:47 PM   #2
MrPogle
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 550i M-Sport LCI

You would hope so. The worry is that they say it is damage not failure. Be ready to point out that there is no damage to the wheel which would be present if you had hit a pothole hard enough to break a spring.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 05:03 AM   #3
t_dawg1
Private
Rep

Well I phoned the dealer this morning and they have said it would be covered under the AUC warranty (phew). They even arranged a tow truck to recover the car from the house and a courtesy car too,so so far I'm really impressed by BMW Service??
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 05:04 AM   #4
t_dawg1
Private
Rep

There is the damage
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 05:08 AM   #5
t_dawg1
Private
Rep

This one is the other side which I hope they will replace too
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 05:10 AM   #6
t_dawg1
Private
Rep

Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      03-09-2017, 08:31 AM   #7
gtthree
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10 530d

Good news it is being replaced under warranty.

I actually had a similar snapped spring on the rear. It was picked up at the point of MOT which was after my AUC warranty had just run out.

The dealership had presented a video stating it had been broken for some time. I requested them to make a warranty claim. Initially the dealership refused claiming excess but is was an AUC warranty so no excess applies.

To be honest they never had a leg to stand on as they had serviced the car and changed the rear discs and pads the month before when the car was still in warranty.

I did need to drop them an email to remind them of this fact and that I'd been a loyal BMW customer both new (E92) and second hand with my current F10.

I have read about one other person having a snapped spring in the UK on another forum, but in that instance and mine they only replaced one.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 01:08 PM   #8
t_dawg1
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtthree View Post
Good news it is being replaced under warranty.

I actually had a similar snapped spring on the rear. It was picked up at the point of MOT which was after my AUC warranty had just run out.

The dealership had presented a video stating it had been broken for some time. I requested them to make a warranty claim. Initially the dealership refused claiming excess but is was an AUC warranty so no excess applies.

To be honest they never had a leg to stand on as they had serviced the car and changed the rear discs and pads the month before when the car was still in warranty.

I did need to drop them an email to remind them of this fact and that I'd been a loyal BMW customer both new (E92) and second hand with my current F10.

I have read about one other person having a snapped spring in the UK on another forum, but in that instance and mine they only replaced one.
Glad you got it covered free in the end mate. Mine has probably been snapped for a while too but I said it'd only just happened. They have given me a 16 plate F10 as a loaner which is great. The service manager also called later to say they only replace the failed spring and not the other one as this was the standard procedure. He assured me that it would not affect the rear ride height nor handling even though they will be different age wise. I'll have to to take their word for it and see how it goes.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 04:28 PM   #9
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by t_dawg1 View Post
Glad you got it covered free in the end mate. Mine has probably been snapped for a while too but I said it'd only just happened. They have given me a 16 plate F10 as a loaner which is great. The service manager also called later to say they only replace the failed spring and not the other one as this was the standard procedure. He assured me that it would not affect the rear ride height nor handling even though they will be different age wise. I'll have to to take their word for it and see how it goes.
Normal procedure under warranty is to only replace the broken spring.

I had a front spring fail on my 330d, BMW only replaced the broken spring, no problem with ride height or the handling. Only issue was the other front spring broke the next winter, at least that one was on my drive, so recovery from home.

Recently had a failed air spring on the F11, BMW only replaced the failed unit. Years back with my E39 touring, both air springs were replaced (under warranty) when one failed.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2017, 12:20 PM   #10
t_dawg1
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Quote:
Normal procedure under warranty is to only replace the broken spring.

I had a front spring fail on my 330d, BMW only replaced the broken spring, no problem with ride height or the handling. Only issue was the other front spring broke the next winter, at least that one was on my drive, so recovery from home.

Recently had a failed air spring on the F11, BMW only replaced the failed unit. Years back with my E39 touring, both air springs were replaced (under warranty) when one failed.
Ok thanks for verifying this
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2017, 12:21 PM   #11
t_dawg1
Private
Rep

£937.92 they have claimed from the warranty company?,is this not too much for just a spring,valet and wash?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-10-2017, 02:36 PM   #12
MrPogle
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Obviously. But this is part of the magic maths of warranties. Look through the forums and see how many people say "my warranty was great value because I had 3000 pounds of work done". In actual fact they had 800 pounds worth of work done. Unless the punter has to reach into his pocket and can walk away if he doesn't like the offer, the numbers become fantasy.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2017, 03:33 PM   #13
t_dawg1
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPogle View Post
Obviously. But this is part of the magic maths of warranties. Look through the forums and see how many people say "my warranty was great value because I had 3000 pounds of work done". In actual fact they had 800 pounds worth of work done. Unless the punter has to reach into his pocket and can walk away if he doesn't like the offer, the numbers become fantasy.
I still don't understand it Sir?
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2017, 03:55 PM   #14
gtthree
Private First Class
Rep

Well I actually ommitted a part of my tale earlier.

I actually had to pay for my spring replacement as the dealer "discussed" the issue with BMW UK.

From memory, the charge was around £250, including c£90 for the spring. But it was fully refunded it the end. This was for a single standard Msport 530D rear spring fitted. No KDS/Hunter alignment.

The quote Douglas Park have shown you there appears somewhat on the high side. So MrPogle's point appears to hold.

I'll look out the invoice at some point in the future.

If the car had not just came out of warranty I'd have looked at either ACS springs all round or a genuine BMW spring from Germany fitted elsewhere.

Last edited by gtthree; 03-10-2017 at 04:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2017, 03:26 AM   #15
Johnny Grabble
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 530d

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPogle View Post
Imagine how much less we'd pay for warranties if dealers charged the actual amount for the job and not the fantasy amount....
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2017, 05:30 AM   #16
MrPogle
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I still don't understand it Sir?
Imagine if the warranty company had said to you "We will replace the spring or give you £900. Your choice."

It's been discussed at some length recently but this is the reason why forgoing a warranty and saving up the premiums yourself can often be a viable long term option for some people. Basically, the numbers used when discussing warranty claims are not real, in that they don't bear comparison with what you would spend to get the work done. The premiums you pay for the cover, however, are real.

Obviously, it's not quite as simple as I have described because a warranty represents more than just free repairs.

It is quite feasible that the figure on your invoice will not be fully reimbursed. You pay nothing either way but the warranty company may well only pay the dealer a percentage of the quoted figure.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2017, 07:50 AM   #17
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Does appear rather expensive for a spring. Doesn't say what is included in that price. Loan car from the garage, KDS alignment?

The warranty company won't be paying a BMW dealer inflated prices, we can be sure of that.

Even service costs are debatable. I'm on a service plan, asked my garage what I'd have to pay as a customer for my last service, which included sparking plugs and all the filters. Was told it would be over £500 all in. BMW will not be forwarding £500 to the dealer's account.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2017, 10:36 AM   #18
t_dawg1
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Does appear rather expensive for a spring. Doesn't say what is included in that price. Loan car from the garage, KDS alignment?

The warranty company won't be paying a BMW dealer inflated prices, we can be sure of that.

Even service costs are debatable. I'm on a service plan, asked my garage what I'd have to pay as a customer for my last service, which included sparking plugs and all the filters. Was told it would be over £500 all in. BMW will not be forwarding £500 to the dealer's account.
The report did say they did a full vehicle inspection aswell plus a loaner 16 plate F10 520d from Enterprise which I enjoyed for a day or 2 and very good valet and wash....but then again £937 sounds rather high ?
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2017, 06:47 AM   #19
gtthree
Private First Class
Rep

Just a short update on the thread with the actual cost of my spring change in Nov 2015

The total fee was £193.55 +VAT

Split exVat
Labour £79.75 (11 units)
Coil spring £92.63
Spring pad £13.95
Spring pad £7.22

part numbers
B33.53.6.795.436 185958/Coil spring
B33.53.6.775.751 185958/SPRING PAD
B33.53.6.856.172 185958/Spring pad
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2017, 01:00 PM   #20
shiner
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 535D MSport Touring

It is a mickey mouse job to do and the part costs are very reasonable for coil springs. It it outrageous that BMW main dealers charge this much fro such a simple job - it really is daylight robbery and the figures they conjure up are a fantasy and discredit the industry.

An Indy would do it for £100+VAT. I had all four done on my Z4 by an Indy for £300. Took them 60 minutes.

2013 Z4 35is + tons of options. CURRENT
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 08:11 AM   #21
SixerIrish
Sixerirish
Ireland
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 520D

Broken Front Coil Spring

Hi Folks,

Just back from the BMW dealer and he told me that front coil spring is snapped. Will Cost €900 to replace, includes 3 hours of labour. I was very surprised because car only passed NCT two weeks ago. He says that ride height is slightly off, and that I should get it replaced ASAP. I dont have €900 to spend, any thoughts on how urgent it is to replace the coil spring of the car is driving ok?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 10:38 AM   #22
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW e-Golf !

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixerIrish View Post
Hi Folks,

Just back from the BMW dealer and he told me that front coil spring is snapped. Will Cost €900 to replace, includes 3 hours of labour. I was very surprised because car only passed NCT two weeks ago. He says that ride height is slightly off, and that I should get it replaced ASAP. I dont have €900 to spend, any thoughts on how urgent it is to replace the coil spring of the car is driving ok?
Find a good independent garage, and get the work done for a third of the price - maybe half the price at most.
Appreciate 0