2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK BMW Insured Warranty excludes software?

04-20-2017, 04:15 PM   #1
MrPogle
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 550i M-Sport LCI

BMW Insured Warranty excludes software?

Last week my engine started but was running badly and down on power. After 30 seconds I got an EML with the message to drive moderately and get it checked. The fault code was a camshaft sensor and I left it at the dealers for him to sort.

It is now sorted but the solution was not to replace the camshaft sensor but to patch some software in the engine management system. This cost 240 and the dealer claims that software fixes are not covered by the warranty. This makes no difference to me as I have a 250 excess but if I had opted for 0 excess, this would be a shock. Rather ominously the dealer said "we fix as many cars with software updates as new parts nowadays" which kind of implies that half of breakdowns aren't covered by the warranty.

The warranty booklet makes no mention of software to either include or exclude it. Anybody experienced anything similar?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2017, 03:47 AM   #2
morellomax
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M440i xDrive convertible

Surely if it's described as a software "fix" then that's an admission that there was something wrong with the software to begin with, rather than a problem caused by physical wear and tear, and therefore they're obliged to fix it for free regardless of what warranty you have ?

Or what they mean is that it's easier / cheaper for them to alter software to work around a physical problem that's developed after the car left the factory than it is to fix it properly....

Imagine if you had a misfire that only occurred above 3k rpm, and BMW's fix was to alter the software to limit revs to below 3k rpm !
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2017, 04:53 AM   #3
MrPogle
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

I agree. The policy says all mechanical and electrical components are covered so I suppose it comes down to the definition of software. I would say that it is a component of a modern car and definitely not mechanical but "electrical component" doesn't really sit well.

Today I rang the insurance people to try and get some clarification but didn't get anywhere. They said the claims department would judge each claim on its merits which sounds like they have no idea. An insurance policy either covers something or it doesn't. They may choose to pay you when they don't really have to but that counts as not-covered.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2017, 09:07 AM   #4
shiner
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 535D MSport Touring

My comeback to the insurer would be the car is failing to do what it is required to do namely, get you from A to B in a manner befitting a BMW driver's considerable outlay and ongoing investment in their brand due to a failure that is not down to wear and tear. As such, whether it is a mechanical component, electrical or computer SW, it should all work together to fulfill the objective of getting you from A to B.

2013 Z4 35is + tons of options. CURRENT
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2017, 04:01 AM   #5
Apples12
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 520D LCI auto

Hi,
which dealer was this??
Looking at the full insured warranty, no mention whatsoever is made of software being excluded...have you got in touch with BMW UK?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2017, 04:27 PM   #6
MrPogle
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

I haven't but it isn't anything to do with them. My contract is with the warranty company and they don't seem to be prepared to make a decision until I actually claim.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2017, 02:11 PM   #7
Fox530
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPogle View Post
I haven't but it isn't anything to do with them. My contract is with the warranty company and they don't seem to be prepared to make a decision until I actually claim.
This is the biggest issue really. I've found that the insured warranty is absolutely excellent but the hurdle is getting the dealer to make the claim in the first place. They often won't submit things they don't think will get approved and only after loads of faffing around do they actually do it and would you believe it, BMW Warranty are happy to authorise.
      05-12-2017, 02:01 PM   #8
Balster
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 530d MSport xDrive

Well, I claimed on mine today - whilst the car was in getting the condenser recall sorted, a control module failed and it IS covered under the insured warranty.

G30 530d M Sport xdrive, Adaptive Drive and with all of the important options.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2017, 02:02 PM   #9
Balster
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Looks like BMW's are like white goods, as soon as the initial warranty period expires, it all goes to pot.

Appreciate 0
      05-12-2017, 03:38 PM   #10
MrPogle
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balster View Post
Well, I claimed on mine today - whilst the car was in getting the condenser recall sorted, a control module failed and it IS covered under the insured warranty.
So the failure you had was not hardware related and merely required a newer version of the software and the warranty covered it?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2017, 09:14 AM   #11
Balster
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPogle View Post
So the failure you had was not hardware related and merely required a newer version of the software and the warranty covered it?
I will find out tomorrow when I get more detail, and report back. Along with how much it would have cost me if I did not have the insured warranty.

Appreciate 0