2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum 18 Month Review - 2015 535d xDrive

12-12-2016, 07:20 PM   #1
raddy
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 535d xDrive

18 Month Review - 2015 535d xDrive

Hard to believe it, I have been driving my first ever BMW for 18 months now. 2015 535d xDrive.

Here is my quick review of the car so far, in the areas that matter most to be me.

Performance and Ride- A

I absolutely love how the car handles. Every time I start to take the drive for guaranteed, I take my wife Honda out for a drive and BAM it hits me - Nothing drives like a BMW! That being said, I do find the car a bit heavy - which I do feel when taking corners at times. In comfort mode, the ride is smooth and enjoyable. In Sports Mode - its is savage, especially around bends on the highway. For a diesel, this shocks me! The steering is wonderful, even better in sports mode.

Overall, once my car passed 25,000 KMS - the performance just feels better. Only wish is for the car to be lighter. Apparently the G30 addresses this.

Family and Day to Day Living - A

Sometimes I wonder if I should have went with a 335 or 4 series Gran Coupe. However, once it comes to grocery shopping, daycare, family functions- the space of in the F30 is Fantastic. The Deep Trunk fits practically anything. And the back seat has enough for 3 adults. My daughter occupies the back and she has lots of space. Smartphone and Sunglasses Storage remains annoying.

Fuel Economy is phenomenal. I am averaging 7.5L-8.5L per tank with City/HWY driving. To get the type of performance I am getting combined with this fuel economy is truly great. I often asked, "What does the D in the 535 stand for".. when i answer diesel, everyone freaks out! BMW needs to promote the fact that they have this type of car as a diesel.

Luxury -B

Harman Kardon is my friend! I listen to lots of Jazz, Hip Hop, R&B, Reggae and Funk - it handles the bass without any distortion. All of my friends are shocked at the quality of sound. The steering wheel feels firm in my hand and has a nice presence to it.

The Exterior is perfect for me. not over the top, yet mean enough with M Sports Package. I especially like the lights and front grill blacked out.

My biggest concern surrounds the leather. While comfortable, I two areas that where leather is peeling. Around the arm rest, by on the door by the handle. I have used BMW's cleaners yet they are "peeling". Will bring it in the dealership shortly. Car has a bit too much wind noise as well.

More interior lighting options would be nice as well.

As well, there is a slight crack on the glass covering the dash.

Ownership Experience - D

I am watching friends who own Mercedes - Benz receive special back to school kits, having Santa days for kids, being invited to test drive new models etc - where BMW Canada or my dealership "Parkview BMW" haven't done ANYTHING!!! yes the car is most important yet is it normal for BMW to basically ignore you or is this my dealership? I mean the 535 is NOT a cheap car!

Overall Impression - A

I am now used to owning a BMW. This car is absolutely wonderful to look at and drive. When i put my foot, the car has spirit. When i need to cruise, it cruises. While others take curves slowly, I take them with EASE!! :-) some of the workmanship in the interior has been a concern. And the experience from BMW and my dealership has been a joke. if the last two points were addressed, I would give this car an A+ based on what matters to me and my family! I await to see the G30 in person and see what will happen next :-)
Attached Images

2019 BMW X3 3.0. xLine, Black on Black
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2016, 08:24 PM   #2
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

nice review!
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 1
raddy21.00
      12-12-2016, 09:48 PM   #3
thebmwjunkiee
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 535d M-Sport

Great review, I've had mine only 4 months but feel about the same. Very pleased overall

In regards to dealership, I think it varies greatly. I've had dealers completely ignore me after The sale before. A few dealers lost my first BMW purchase because they didn't think I could afford one at 19 apparently. Looked at cars for 45-60 mins without even being greeted. But my current dealership sends me all types of mail (including bday cards/offers, special invites, xmas cards etc) and always remembers me if I show up for service. I think BMW needs a more uniform program post sale to keep buyers feeling "valued" so they keep our business

2016 535d M Sport, Space Gray/Mocha
Past: '14 328, '08 335, '04 525, '91 M5, '95 525
Appreciate 1
raddy21.00
      12-13-2016, 08:01 AM   #4
raddy
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 535d xDrive

My dealership sent me some cheap postcard for the 1st year anniversary of my lease, LOL. nothing else. Zilch, Nadda..

BTW, your car looks great

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebmwjunkiee View Post
Great review, I've had mine only 4 months but feel about the same. Very pleased overall

In regards to dealership, I think it varies greatly. I've had dealers completely ignore me after The sale before. A few dealers lost my first BMW purchase because they didn't think I could afford one at 19 apparently. Looked at cars for 45-60 mins without even being greeted. But my current dealership sends me all types of mail (including bday cards/offers, special invites, xmas cards etc) and always remembers me if I show up for service. I think BMW needs a more uniform program post sale to keep buyers feeling "valued" so they keep our business

2019 BMW X3 3.0. xLine, Black on Black
Appreciate 1
      12-13-2016, 09:17 AM   #5
M5Beast_NYC
Major
Rep
Drives: 15 M5

Great news!! Glad to hear the diesel is holding its own in performance and reliability.
Appreciate 1
raddy21.00
      12-13-2016, 10:10 AM   #6
thebmwjunkiee
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 535d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by raddy View Post
My dealership sent me some cheap postcard for the 1st year anniversary of my lease, LOL. nothing else. Zilch, Nadda..

BTW, your car looks great
Thanks man, I love the color combo you have, my last car was dark graphite. But yeah, I've been there, you'd think they would try to keep you interested especially given you'll be returning the lease to them in a few years. One time I even had a sales agent that did wayyy too much. Called my cell phone at least 8 times per year (holidays, bdays, etc) and would start off pleasant but then dive right in to the sale pitch "so are you planning to re-lease with us in 2 years? I have some great deals right now, lowest rates in years! You should come look at cars early I can help you find a great deal". Came off very desperate, glad I found a dealership that is very relaxed and treats its customers like old friends

2016 535d M Sport, Space Gray/Mocha
Past: '14 328, '08 335, '04 525, '91 M5, '95 525
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2016, 06:43 PM   #7
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Thank you for the review

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
raddy21.00
      12-14-2016, 12:35 AM   #8
TheUtahX5M
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 M

I've got a 2014 535d xdrive and couldn't be Happier!
Appreciate 1
raddy21.00
      12-15-2016, 12:59 PM   #9
535d1420
Private
Rep
Drives: 535d

I have a 2014 535d and couldn't be happier. Gunning it at all times and getting 30mpg at gas prices cheaper than unleaded most of the times! How can you beat that
Appreciate 1
raddy21.00