2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications ISO: Mufflers + Diffuser

02-13-2017, 12:10 PM   #1
Ickdeep
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F10 M5 | '15 F15 X5

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [10.00]
2013 BMW M5 [SOLD]  [10.00]
2013 BMW 535i [SOLD]  [10.00]
Question ISO: Mufflers + Diffuser

Hey guys,

So next on me mod list is the rear. I've already got the high-kick spoiler and blacked out my badges. Next is the low portion. I do have the M Sport package so I've been thinking about getting a CF diffuser (eh on painted one) and new mufflers. The only thing about the mufflers is that I still want to be able to hold a conversation at low revs but loud when I'm "having fun". I'm not trying to break the bank(just graduated and starting my IT job).

EDIT: What the process of getting an M5 diffuser? Do I need to modify anything?

Thank you for your input!

Last edited by Ickdeep; 02-13-2017 at 12:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2017, 05:07 PM   #2
AMT92
Lieutenant Colonel
Iran
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M

Here's my setup. It's almost un-noticeable when cruising around but when you get on it, it has a phenomenal sporty and tuned sound to it. Adding a VRSF catless downpipe soon, I can only imagine how that will sound.

OEM M5 diffuser painted gloss black, OEM M5 mufflers w/ Cyba 3.5 inch gloss black slip on tips, resonator delete w/ x-pipe, 36 inch j pipes (also known as quarter length resonators). I had the j pipes made made for extra assurance that drone would not occur, probably overkill but I take clients around so it was worth it to me.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-17-2017, 01:15 AM   #3
mikekilpatrick
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW F10 550 Xdrive Msport

I went with a couple name brand cat backs on my 550 and was only happy with the sound of the Dinan mufflers. Only ones that seem to retain the German car sound. Thi si a wicked Setup above with the J pipes and the X crossover but I bet the muffler shop charged a pretty penny for it.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2017, 07:39 AM   #4
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Here's a few options for your diffuser choice. all come in carbon fiber but you can paint them as well. your OEM diffuser i believe just pops off and you just reinstall the new diffuser the same way. couple of things to keep in mind is some of the one's you order from Ebay are the tab issues. you may have to drill some holes in the tabs and install screws to keep them in place like what i did and other's have had to do to.

The MSport has a wide selection of diffusers to choose from whether you're looking for carbon fiber, single/quad tip configurations

as far as the mufflers do you want to do a quads or single? which ever way you decide will also determine what diffuser to go with because you don't want to pick a quad diffuser and you end up getting a single tip exhaust. as far as exhaust goes Dinan like mentioned above is pretty tame. Remus has actually a pretty good exhaust note to it which one of our site sponsor Mike sells them. alot of guys have also gone with the Megan's which has a pretty mellow tone to it and they come in single, quad tips as well as many different finishes ie black, burnt, chrome, ect...
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2017, 07:59 AM   #5
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Scheidmann has some pretty nice setups for exhaust.

here are the Megan Supremos

~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2017, 09:48 AM   #6
Ickdeep
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F10 M5 | '15 F15 X5

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [10.00]
2013 BMW M5 [SOLD]  [10.00]
2013 BMW 535i [SOLD]  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
as far as the mufflers do you want to do a quads or single? which ever way you decide will also determine what diffuser to go with because you don't want to pick a quad diffuser and you end up getting a single tip exhaust. as far as exhaust goes Dinan like mentioned above is pretty tame. Remus has actually a pretty good exhaust note to it which one of our site sponsor Mike sells them. alot of guys have also gone with the Megan's which has a pretty mellow tone to it and they come in single, quad tips as well as many different finishes ie black, burnt, chrome, ect...
Honestly, I've been trying to find a diffuser with single tips on each side. I don't really wanted to buy new mufflers/tips. And I think its just overplayed how majority of "modded" F10 all have dual tip exhausts.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2017, 10:13 AM   #7
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ickdeep View Post
Honestly, I've been trying to find a diffuser with single tips on each side. I don't really wanted to buy new mufflers/tips. And I think its just overplayed how majority of "modded" F10 all have dual tip exhausts.
just cosmetically makes the rear end better IMO with quad tips. one route i thought of going before picking up my Meisterschaft's was just swapping out the tips and having quad tips welded on my stock muffler because at first the wife didn't want me to change out my exhaust but she lost that battle i think the tips were like $50 for both sides and a welder was gonna charge me like $50 to weld them on.

Appreciate 0