2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum LCI disappointments: NO MORE M suspension (?), halogen turn signals on xenon lights

08-07-2013, 07:58 AM   #1
K-A
Nice
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S SportDesign

LCI disappointments: NO MORE M suspension (?), halogen turn signals on xenon lights

We have this discussion going on the other forum. [Warning, rant below]:

One thing that drew me into the 2013 M Sport F10 was the noticeably lower suspension that helps makes it drive how it always should have, i.e the dedicated M suspension on it. Based on a disproportionate, unanimous responses namely from those who came from or have driven 2011/2012 M Sport cars- it handles better and is more dynamic than the DHP/DDC options (and much more so than the base suspension of course), and rides exactly how this car always should have. Purely comfortable still, but dynamic and sporty for this chassis.

Now it appears as if BMW may have pulled it from the '14's, giving the new M Sports a 4x4 ride height which means it must be riding on a base (bouncy) F10 suspension (the ride height looks identical to the XDrive's who all ride on base suspensions, i.e never had the M suspension available to them).

I for one would be livid at BMW for pulling something that got SO much acceptance (finally) from the BMW faithful in terms of ride dynamism. I can only imagine BMW would pull it to try and keep making money from the DHP options as they never advertised or touted the M suspension (probably for that very same reason and the fact that it got said disproportionate more praise than the DHP and was "free" with the M Package for 2013 MY's).

I'd think others would want to know this and hope that maybe others can chime in on any altering information. On the BMW website and when you enter the LCI M Sport vins on the vin-decoder sites, it does not feature "M suspension" anymore like it did on the 2013's as one of the M Sport features. It'd be shocking if the '13's were one offs with this fabulous suspension (as I've said before, best overall suspension/chassis dynamic on a Sport-Luxury Sedan I've ever experienced). If what I "fear" is true, then the LCI M Sports are literally purely cosmetic, no handling enhancements.

Look at the vast differences in stance/ride height:

2013 RWD M Sport suspension:

2014 RWD M Sport with whatever the new standard suspension is on the package:

And as a warning to those getting the standard xenons on the LCI, they are a downgrade from the pre-LCI units as you get regressive (and IMO terrible looking) reflectors. What is with BMW's regressive approach to putting reflectors back in their cars when previous models had LED's? Horrible cost cutting maneuvers unbefitting of such a high-quality car like the F10.

Appreciate 0
      08-07-2013, 08:57 AM   #2
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

Still too early to confirm the suspension thing at this point. Like i said in another post that the main thing Bmw revised with the LCI was to address handling and vague steering so I'm not convinced that the 14's will handle any worse than the 13s. Below are several different BMW sources that indicate the Msport package comes with suspension and I seriously hope they didn't make that many mistakes posting wrong info all over their websites.

Here is what BMW.COM says about the Msport Package

M Sport package.

One of sporty aesthetics’ finest hours: the optional M Sport package presents the future-orientated dynamics of the BMW 5 Series Sedan at their most energetic.

Exclusive equipment details create visual exclamation marks while the M Sport suspension* streamlines driving dynamics and improves performance. The exterior components of the M Aerodynamics package reinforce the sporty appearance of the BMW 5 Series Sedan. Powerful air inlets give the flow-optimised front apron more presence. Side skirts with additional contour lines sharpen the vehicle profile; this is perfectly rounded off by the rear apron with exhaust pipe finishers in Dark Chrome and a striking diffusor in Dark Shadow metallic, which increases the contact pressure at high speeds. You have the choice between two M light-alloy wheels in Double-spoke design: the 18-inch 613 M or the 19-inch 351 M.

As soon as you open the door, the M door sill finisher with chrome inserts and the M logo draws your gaze in to the interior of the M Sport package, where further exciting features await. The Sport seats are covered in an exclusive cloth/Alcantara combination Grey Shadow/Anthracite with the M look (also optional in different leather). In the cockpit, the M multifunction steering wheel fits perfectly in the hand and allows the driver complete control. The interior trim strip, e.g. in Aluminium Hexagon and the BMW Individual headliner Anthracite add an athletic note.

*except xDrive models

Here is what BMWUSA.COM says about the Msport Package

M Sport
The M Sport ensures that your 5 Series Sedan will dominate to the Mth degree.
Unique design touches include:

M Aerodynamic Kit
19” light alloy wheels, double spoke design
M Steering Wheel
M wheels and suspension
Exclusive M colors and trims

Enjoy all these signature details for $3050

What BMW.DE says about the Msport Package (Google translate)

A great moment sporting aesthetics: The optional M Sport package, the ground-breaking dynamics of the BMW 5 Series Sedan presents in its most energetic expression. Exclusive features provide visual exclamation mark, while the M Sports suspension * tightens the dynamic driving performance. * Except xDrive models and ActiveHybrid 5
      08-07-2013, 09:39 AM   #3
ceb
NHTSA Nazi
Rep
Drives: 335ix

Be careful about posting info from the .de site. Options or option packages in Europe rarely equate to what we get in the US.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2013, 10:50 AM   #4
bubbahead
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 G05 40i Msport

BMW had 3 years to gather all the complaints and correct the issues. Thats what the LCI is for... The handling is not going to be worse than pre-LCI....if anything will improve. Even if the ride height stays the same, who knows what components they changed ...and it could still have Msport suspension. I think were all getting ahead of ourselves and thats with nobody even having done a testdrive.
2011 550ix msport
2009 e92 335i msport
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2013, 11:55 AM   #5
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

There are a few post on the F10 LCI test drive and they all say the handling is better.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2013, 12:17 PM   #6
Atl550
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 550i

Just spoke to my SA (been with BMW for over 10 years) and he said this comes up just about every year with the the only difference in discussion being the model. He told me that the m sport will have the m suspension on all 5 series models except x drives and people that ordered Dynamic Damper Control. Note that package ZDH (copied below from the ordering sheet) states ZDH will delete 704 when ordered with ZMP. I believe everyone knew that already.

ZDH Dynamic Handling Package
2VA Adaptive Drive Includes Active Roll Stabilization
and Dynamic Damper Control. Will delete 704 when ordered with ZMP.

I'm not saying his word is solid but he did seem to know what he was talking about.

I pick my car up at the PDC in SC Tuesday and I will confirm with them if my car truly has the m suspension or not. And if it does, then why is it raised (if it is truly raised).

Since I'm sure I will take a large number of pictures, I will be happy to send a few as well. But, by next Tuesday, I would think this might already be solved with the number of deliveries starting to take place.
2014 550i M-Sport | Jet Black | Ivory White Nappa Leather w/ Black Dashboard | Anthracite Wood Trim | 19" 351M Performance Tires | Exec Package | Cold Weather Package | Lighting Package | Side and Top View Cameras | Parking Assistant
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2013, 12:43 PM   #7
DH2117
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i M-Sport

I would bet money the m-sport suspension is gone. It isn't listed on the 2014 window sticker as part of the m-sport option and the car sits high like an xdrive in every picture I have seen. Are there any 2014 RWD M-Sport reviews by a car mag? I believe all comment on the standard suspension (available on the new lines and/or xdrive cars).
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2013, 12:51 PM   #8
grimlock
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F10 N52B30@255PS

It wouldn't surprise me if BMW wanted to make you get the DHP which cost more, especially if the Msusp for the U.S. did not cost a lot.
And to rub it in it would still be available in europe.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2013, 02:59 PM   #9
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimlock View Post
It wouldn't surprise me if BMW wanted to make you get the DHP which cost more, especially if the Msusp for the U.S. did not cost a lot.
And to rub it in it would still be available in Europe.
M-sport models in the UK have 3 or 4 suspension options, according to model.

M-Sport passive suspension as standard, VDC and Adaptive Drive on some models. Plus M-Sport suspension deletion (S0225), giving the option of standard suspension.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2013, 04:38 PM   #10
K-A
Nice
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DH2117
I would bet money the m-sport suspension is gone. It isn't listed on the 2014 window sticker as part of the m-sport option and the car sits high like an xdrive in every picture I have seen. Are there any 2014 RWD M-Sport reviews by a car mag? I believe all comment on the standard suspension (available on the new lines and/or xdrive cars).
I'm worried this is the case too, along with what grimlock said. I know the LCI is supposed to handle better, but I doubt testers are benchmarking against the M suspension specifically as it is a "rarity" in the grand scheme of at least U.S bound F10's and never got a proper magazine test. Putting my tin foil hat on I wouldn't be surprised if this is some conspiracy by BMW because the M suspension stole so many compliments from the now irrelevant DHP which costs BMW some option money.

All that said. Hopefully this is just an overreaction. I wouldn't be surprised if the LCI does handle better regardless, but who wants that damn ride height? Ruins the F10 stance.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2013, 05:42 PM   #11
igom3
Major
Rep
Drives: 02 E46M3 15 F80 M3 16 X5 35d

Garage List
2016 X5 35d  [0.00]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2002 E46 M3  [0.00]
BMW site on 2014 535D(My order_

M Sport

•LED Fog Lights
•Anthracite headliner
•Shadowline exterior trim
•M steering wheel
•Aerodynamic Kit
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2013, 05:43 PM   #12
igom3
Major
Rep
Drives: 02 E46M3 15 F80 M3 16 X5 35d

Garage List
2016 X5 35d  [0.00]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2002 E46 M3  [0.00]
I hope this is not true!!
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2013, 07:38 PM   #13
pillpusher84
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 550xi M-Sport Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atl550 View Post
Just spoke to my SA (been with BMW for over 10 years) and he said this comes up just about every year with the the only difference in discussion being the model. He told me that the m sport will have the m suspension on all 5 series models except x drives and people that ordered Dynamic Damper Control. Note that package ZDH (copied below from the ordering sheet) states ZDH will delete 704 when ordered with ZMP. I believe everyone knew that already.

ZDH Dynamic Handling Package
2VA Adaptive Drive Includes Active Roll Stabilization
and Dynamic Damper Control. Will delete 704 when ordered with ZMP.

I'm not saying his word is solid but he did seem to know what he was talking about.

I pick my car up at the PDC in SC Tuesday and I will confirm with them if my car truly has the m suspension or not. And if it does, then why is it raised (if it is truly raised).

Since I'm sure I will take a large number of pictures, I will be happy to send a few as well. But, by next Tuesday, I would think this might already be solved with the number of deliveries starting to take place.
Let us know how it goes & definately post some pictures! I have to wait until Oct 28th to take delivery of my new '14 550xi M-Sport ... so I'll live vicariously through you until then!
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2013, 08:05 PM   #14
F10Msport
Malaysia
Rep
Drives: MY13 F10 528i M Sport

Garage List
Here's what I got while going through the configurator at BMW UK's website.
Attached Images

'13 F10 BMW 528i Sport: Space Grey / Leather Dakota Black - Head Up Display | Hi-fi Professional with DSP | Double Spoke 350M Alloys with Summer Setup | Navigation System Professional | Bi-Xenons | Sports Seats | Hot Climate Version | PDC | Rear View Camera | Aluminium Hexagon Interior Trim | Sport Automatic Transmission |
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2013, 08:12 PM   #15
Grumpy514
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3X

Garage List
Very odd, I just doubled checked my order on BMWUSAs website and indeed says nothing about M-Suspension.

Hopefully I'll have the car by this weekend, if so I will post pictures.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2013, 09:16 PM   #16
Losco
Second Lieutenant
Japan
Rep
Drives: F10 528i M-sport

Jesus they had to go and take out LED turn signal and make it look like X6 LCI headlight? sigh...
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2013, 09:19 PM   #17
K-A
Nice
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy514
Very odd, I just doubled checked my order on BMWUSAs website and indeed says nothing about M-Suspension.

Hopefully I'll have the car by this weekend, if so I will post pictures.
Please keep us posted! Being such an advocate for the suspension I'm genuinely bummed out.

FYI this is specific to U.S cars as EU M Sports always had the M suspension option. We in the States so far have only been privy to it for one year so far.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 03:58 AM   #18
grimlock
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F10 N52B30@255PS

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
M-sport models in the UK have 3 or 4 suspension options, according to model.

M-Sport passive suspension as standard, VDC and Adaptive Drive on some models. Plus M-Sport suspension deletion (S0225), giving the option of standard suspension.

HighlandPete
You guys in the UK really get the best options and deals - one wonders why the Germans treat you so well

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-A View Post
I'm worried this is the case too, along with what grimlock said. I know the LCI is supposed to handle better, but I doubt testers are benchmarking against the M suspension specifically as it is a "rarity" in the grand scheme of at least U.S bound F10's and never got a proper magazine test. Putting my tin foil hat on I wouldn't be surprised if this is some conspiracy by BMW because the M suspension stole so many compliments from the now irrelevant DHP which costs BMW some option money.

All that said. Hopefully this is just an overreaction. I wouldn't be surprised if the LCI does handle better regardless, but who wants that damn ride height? Ruins the F10 stance.
M suspension for 500 - gotta live in Europe for that stuff!
no I wouldn't mind DHP although it may be a hassle to maintain if it did not cost a fortune in high tax countries - only the 'purists' left wanting the Msusp on a large car such as the F10, which is a little odd kinda like the old N52/53 3.0l I6 NA..
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 04:40 AM   #19
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimlock View Post
You guys in the UK really get the best options and deals - one wonders why the Germans treat you so well ..
Ah, it is because we mostly buy 520d models, over here in the UK, so an open option list gives BMW more chance to add value and profits. Not uncommon to see 520d users adding options totally disproportional to the base price.

As I see it, BMW NA have a totally different marketing policy than BMW in Europe, whether it is the typical customer likes packages or what, I'm not sure. I suppose product placement (plus demand) has a big part in what options a particular market features.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 07:38 AM   #20
The X Men
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-A View Post
Please keep us posted! Being such an advocate for the suspension I'm genuinely bummed out.

FYI this is specific to U.S cars as EU M Sports always had the M suspension option. We in the States so far have only been privy to it for one year so far.
Just wondering K-A, do you have this MSport suspension in your car? Personally, I would rather have the adaptive suspension which I can adjust as oppose to a fix suspension. Its almost like comparing a smart suspension to a dumb one. These fix suspension are old technology, the future is active suspension with some sort of computer control.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 09:18 AM   #21
K-A
Nice
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
Just wondering K-A, do you have this MSport suspension in your car? Personally, I would rather have the adaptive suspension which I can adjust as oppose to a fix suspension. Its almost like comparing a smart suspension to a dumb one. These fix suspension are old technology, the future is active suspension with some sort of computer control.
Yeah I do have it on mine.

Personally, I've found my favorite suspensions have been fixed (the M suspension in my F10 is bar none the best overall suspension I've ever rode on, and that includes my previous ABC S Class). A good mechanical suspension can do it all, IMO, and will be far more reliable and natural feeling to boot.

I rarely hear compliments about the DHP, and many DHP drivers move to M suspension cars and comment on how superior it feels. I found the 2011 M Sports with all the active gadgets on it to ride very smoothly, extra smoothly, which is basically what the adaptive suspensions are great at. Thing is, even on the M suspension the F10 rides more comfort oriented than sport, but you get that sportier, more connected feeling underneath that which gives the F10 the dynamic ride IMO it always needed. On top of that, the M suspension is the only one that gives you a nice, lowered and tight ride stance.

I'm a big proponent of it and it's a mega bummer to me IF the LCI shows you're back to being stuck with a base suspension or a DHP (which I find overrated as I'd rather not pay $3,500 for something that makes an already comfortable car feel even more comfortable, floaty and artificial, when I have firsthand experience with how well a mechanical sportier suspension does under it).

Worst part is lots of early orderers skipped DHP as they assumed the M suspension that has gotten so many raving reviews was gonna be on their cars.... now they might be stuck with a BASE suspension and can't even get DHP at this point.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 10:22 AM   #22
The X Men
Colonel
Rep

I seriously doubt BMW will get rid of the MSport suspension, after all, it really doesnt cost that much to make the suspension stiffer.
I guess our opinion differ, anybody can make a fix suspension handle well, but to do so without making the ride stiffer, thats the hard part. Thats where smart suspension comes into play and in my view, the future of suspension technology.
Everybody idea of floaty or comfortable is different, heck, some people actually like their ride on the firm side. I must say BMW hit the nail on the head with the F10's suspension tuning. Sure there are a bunch of BMW enthusiast in here crying foul, but the majority of the F10 owner like the softer ride compare the previous gen, including myself. I believe the sales numbers will back up my claim.
Appreciate 0