2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding nav system complaints

05-22-2012, 02:44 AM   #1
joey5622
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 535xi

nav system complaints

anyone have problems/complaints with the nav system? i seem to almost always miss my destination by a few houses... it also sometimes doesn't tell me when to turn/exit.. hud does a good job letting me know when to turn tho..

it gets really annoying when i go to an unfamiliar place..

can a software update remedy this or will i just have to live with this?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 04:29 AM   #2
Pimpsy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5C

The nav sucks. The only really decent thing about it is the screen size.
      05-23-2012, 08:54 AM   #3
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2019 330xi, 2017 Q7

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Agreed, the only good thing is the size. I was hoping that by 2012, BMW would have figured out the NAV, but this system is as useless as the one in my Mercedes (which sucks too). This is typical of German cars, you buy great engineering but crappy in-car electronics. Lexus and Acura NAVs of 5 yrs ago are much better than BMW's today. My F10 will take me home through the longest and worst ways, and if I didn't know any better, I would be taking the long road to everything. Maybe its part of the effort to enhance the driving experience
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 09:52 AM   #4
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

The Lexus Nav is the worst, it locks you of everything while the car is moving. You have to exit the highway and park the car just just to enter a destination or find a POI.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 12:46 PM   #5
Bimmernerd
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 530dM xDrive F11 2012

No serious faults with the Nav so far, it is not worse than my old Tomtom...
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 01:16 PM   #6
skiajl6297
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 528i

I am still not finding the standard traffic information here in the DC area very useful. There had been some talk (another forum?) of maps being updated to show color-coded congestion like in Europe and what is shown on google maps, rather than the arrows pointing in the direction of delay as is standard, but I have yet to see it. There is some kind of greyscale optioning, but I did not enjoy that particular view, and don't know that it is useful - maybe I need to try it again.

Also, for some reason, my car's radio reception of the traffic information seems much slower then that on my 2007 E90. I commute the same path every day, and have noticed that when driving my E90, there is a significantly better and more accurate representation of the actual conditions, (updates to conditions, differences in the concentration of traffic indicators, etc.) where my F10 isnt showing me anything, and I am sitting in horrible traffic. Or if the F10 is showing the correct traffic information as arrows, but it is not showing any difference between a slight delay (widely spaced arrows) and a major, avoid at all costs, (three arrows on top of each other a-la E90) delay.

Same driver, same route, 2007 technology beating 2010 so far. I wish it made sense. I am still getting used to my new nav, and it is gorgeous to look at, but I have yet to rely on it as much as I relied on my E90 - and that sucks given how much this car costs.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 03:29 PM   #7
Touring
Major
Norway
Rep
Drives: i3,E21,M2,E23, Skoda Kodiaq

For me its always spot on.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 04:29 PM   #8
LiveLarger
Second Lieutenant
Norway
Rep
Drives: F11 520d M-sport

Same here. It's spot on and is awesome with the HUD.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 06:15 PM   #9
psyxologos
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46 330 ci SE, F11 530d SE

I actually love my Sat Nav. Out of curiosity, what is it that you guys do not like?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 08:21 PM   #10
DLerner
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535, X164 GL550

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiajl6297 View Post
I am still not finding the standard traffic information here in the DC area very useful.
I'm also in the DC area and the traffic info takes way too long to update. It feels about 10 to 15 minutes behind - which in rush hour when you are making critical route choices - does more harm then good.

I also don't understand why you can't access the route list from the map screen. After I key in a destination, first thing I want to do is review the route it's taking me on. To do this, I have to back out of the map and go back into the navigation menu. This should be accessible from the left icons on the map screen.

Then there's the voice recognition...after a year of trying, I've just given up.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 03:31 AM   #11
eskdale
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 520d M Sport Touring F11

Quote:
I'm also in the DC area and the traffic info takes way too long to update. It feels about 10 to 15 minutes behind - which in rush hour when you are making critical route choices - does more harm then good.
What does your BMW use as the source of the traffic info?. In the UK there is TMC which is not updated so often and only covers the major roads and it is received as a sub carrier on some FM radio broadcasts. But if you have the BMW assist package and Post Sept 2011 build you get the RTTI Real Time Traffic Info which updates every 3 minutes and covers a larger proportion of the roads.

Quote:
I also don't understand why you can't access the route list from the map screen
If you zoom out on the map you can see your whole route as a quick check its going the way you want to go. Also on the left icons there is a preferences option which shows your route and a couple of alternative options. This is what I use especially if I want to avoid Toll roads or ferries.

Quote:
Then there's the voice recognition...after a year of trying, I've just given up.
To be fair I find the voice recognition works quite well most of the time.

As for the Sat-Nav overall - It works and the screen is great and its built in. However a lot of the routes that it plans are no where near as good as the TomTom's route and as for its estimated arrival time compared to the TomTom. With the TomTom unless there was some major holdup the TomTom was never more than 5 minutes adrift with its Estimated arrival time but the BMW on a typical 3.5 hr trip is atleast half an hour out!!

Traffic - OK you get a yellow or red triangle appear when there is traffic but you have to have the nav screeen on and then you have to constantly go and check it to see if its changed. The TomTom displays the time delay on your journey constantly so you can see at a glance if it is changing and also announces by voice if there is a significant change. With the TomTom you can also see at a glance where on the route the traffic is. Far Superior to the BMW.

Points of interest are not very good. One of the most common things I want when in a strange area is a Supermarket. Tried to get directions to my nearest Tesco - It sends me to Poland !!. When in Cornwall I knew there was a big Asda near by but according to the Sat nav my nearest Asda was South Wales
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 03:32 AM   #12
joey5622
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
The Lexus Nav is the worst, it locks you of everything while the car is moving. You have to exit the highway and park the car just just to enter a destination or find a POI.
lexus nav is even worse than the one in my f10.. stupid thing won't even tell you which side of the freeway to stay on when there's a fork.. missed a couple of turns because of this..
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 03:35 AM   #13
joey5622
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyxologos View Post
I actually love my Sat Nav. Out of curiosity, what is it that you guys do not like?
it's not very accurate for me.. going to a new place or visting a house for the first time, i always end up being a couple houses wrong..

also, the interface is outdated and does not seem very user friendly.. and feels kind of cheap for some reason

we can't (to my knowledge) even scroll around the route we're on with zooming out as the closest solution..

my previous infiniti is lightyears ahead in terms of ease, convenience, accuracy and usability..

i only survive with my nav because of my HUD..
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 05:39 AM   #14
eskdale
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 520d M Sport Touring F11

Quote:
we can't (to my knowledge) even scroll around the route we're on with zooming out as the closest solution..
If you go to the interactive map then you can scroll around your route and zoom in/out on any section

Hope this helps
Appreciate 0