2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Front mounted CAI vs Arizona Monsoons

06-20-2021, 11:19 PM   #1
Chirho1987
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 550i M Sport

Front mounted CAI vs Arizona Monsoons

Hey everybody.

I installed the ARM front mounted CAI on my 14 550i. I live in Arizona and it's usually always sunny. But we are entering monsoon season soon and it will be raining, hard, everyday. This my daily driver to work so I am concerned about hydro locking the engine. I do have k&n hydroshield cover on each filter intake but I'm worried it's not enough.

I'm not worried about puddles. More so the rain entering the kidney grills where the air filters are located.

Anyone have any advice or any info, I'd be grateful for any insight.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2021, 12:05 PM   #2
AZ-MCRacer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 G82 M4, 2013 F10 N55

Think of it as free water/meth injection, even the monsoons here in AZ aren't enough to hydrolock your 550i. Last year I think we had a total of 1 monsoon storm with rain, it's not an everyday thing. Just get used to the heat, that won't stop until late October. Enjoy AZ.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2021, 10:00 PM   #3
Chirho1987
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 550i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-MCRacer View Post
Think of it as free water/meth injection, even the monsoons here in AZ aren't enough to hydrolock your 550i. Last year I think we had a total of 1 monsoon storm with rain, it's not an everyday thing. Just get used to the heat, that won't stop until late October. Enjoy AZ.
I have lived in AZ since '04. Lol. I am used to the heat. I agree with last summer, had like barely any rain. We have already had 2 big downpours in less than a week this year. I did get stuck in one and the car did fine. I'm assuming any water would get evaporated before it gets to the valves/chamber? I wasn't even thinking of how far rain would have to travel to even make it to the engine. Water/meth injection is a great way to think of it.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2021, 01:16 AM   #4
550bye
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i

Garage List
2011 BMW 550i  [5.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chirho1987 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-MCRacer View Post
I have lived in AZ since '04. Lol. I am used to the heat. I agree with last summer, had like barely any rain. We have already had 2 big downpours in less than a week this year. I did get stuck in one and the car did fine. I'm assuming any water would get evaporated before it gets to the valves/chamber? I wasn't even thinking of how far rain would have to travel to even make it to the engine. Water/meth injection is a great way to think of it.
After I went front mounted 3 years ago I was worried about it too but I've tested it after rain and snow storms up here in Utah. Little to no moisture made it into the intake pipes. I guess some vapor would travel but can't be worse then humidity in my honest opinion and like noted previously, it would just evaporate.

You could always get a good catch can system (don't buy the Amazon cheap ones, they don't work 100%, well enough but not like the expensive baffles should and do) which would serve 2 purposes, catching the oil and then the piece of mind for you rain/monsoon storms. We get some pretty wet winters up here so nothing to worry about.

I installed the vapor shields for the winter/spring and I think that is prevention enough, overkill if anything.
Upgraded 51mm turbos, Heatsync Stage 3 Flash, JB4 stacked, BMS WMI, Arm Charge Pipes, Heatsync Catless DPs, X-Pipe, Res Muffler Delete, xHP Stage 3 Trans Flash, Turbosmart Diverter Valves, 3.5 TMAPs, Oil Cooler, Heatsync Front Mounted Max Cool Intakes, Walbro LPFP and e40 mix rollin on Stance SF07 9x20 w/Toyo Extensa and 10.5x20 w/Toyo R888R.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2021, 07:36 PM   #5
BettyFkinCrocker
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 550i RWD

As was already mentioned, it's essentially no different than water/meth injection. The old school trick to clean pistons etc was to dump water into a running engine at a medium to high rpm.

Same reason heads/pistons look like they've been steam cleaned when you blow a head gasket.

So long as you don't suck in a significant amount of water (far more than the volume falling rain could produce) you've got nothing to worry about and its actually kind of a good thing (for your pistons).
1/4: 10.90@128
60-130: 7.43
Appreciate 0