2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications How does the turbo work

02-03-2014, 10:20 PM   #1
A Polite W
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

How does the turbo work

I have a 2011 535i, V6. How exactly does the turbo work? I know it inputs Oxygen into the engine to give it more thrust; so at my next maintenance, what should I specify if I think that system may somehow be clogged? Could it also be clogged/dirty fuel injectors? Basically, stepping on the gas doesn't have the zip I had a few months ago..
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2014, 10:43 PM   #2
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Polite W View Post
I have a 2011 535i, V6.
Well, the 535i is an in-line 6, but that doesn't matter.

The computer controls all sorts of things, including how much boost the turbo can provide, the timing, the fuel all based on the engine temperature, and your foot's position on the throttle, and the engine rpm as well as the gear the auto transmission will be in (assuming you aren't driving a manual).

There are lots of places you can learn about how a turbocharged engine provides power, but basically, by stuffing more air into the cylinder, to maintain the proper air/fuel ratio, it can produce more power than if normally aspirated (i.e., without turbo or supercharger). The turbo is an air compressor with a turbine wheel in the exhaust path...the exhaust gasses turn one end of the shaft, and on the other, is another set of blades that act like an air compressor.

If anything is not right, feeding proper info to the computer, the computer can restrict the timing, the fuel, and ultimately the power the engine is providing. Often, the computer can detect that and issue a check engine fault light.

It could be simply you got a tank of crappy fuel, or a sensor died, dirty injectors, bad spark plugs, or lots of other things. You need to have someone look at the vehicle that understands it.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 07:02 PM   #3
Ben2k9
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 550i M-Sport

Still under warranty? Just take it to the dealer and tell them you've lost power. I wouldn't even wait until the next maintenance.
Appreciate 0