2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Getting a 2013 535i-WITHOUT the Premium Package (Comfort Access System) - Is that OK?

07-26-2012, 07:54 PM   #1
DitrasetMan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: None

Getting a 2013 535i-WITHOUT the Premium Package (Comfort Access System) - Is that OK?

Friends,

I have decided to "go big or go home," and instead of the 528i I was planning on purchasing, I am going to go with the 535i. The price increase is only $3,000, if I don't get the Premium Package in the 535i (which is $1,500). This, I can afford. Unlike the 528i, the 535i already comes with leather, so the Premium Package is less essential.

The 535i Premium Package, comes with (1) the Comfort Access System, (2) Power Tailgate and (3) Sirius Radio.

(1)I actually don't want the Comfort Access System because I very much like locking and unlocking the car from a remote. Maybe it is an OCD thing. The whole "I am close to the car so it locks/unlocks" makes me uncomfortable.

Dumb question: Without the comfort access system, I still do not need to use a key in any way to turn the engine on, right? I can keep the keys in my pocket (outside of unlocking/locking the car), and hit the engine start button?

(2)The Power Tailgate would be nice, but is not enough to justify the $1,500 for the Premium Package.

(3) I do not like Sirius satellite radio. I have had it for years and am intent on canceling it. I plan on exclusively using Pandora on my iPhone, through the iDrive, for my musical needs.

Question: Am I missing something? Is there some other "secret" feature that I won't get by not getting the Premium Package?

I know it is bizarre to get a 5 series without the Premium Package, but I just can't justify the price of the Package for those particular features, considering my particular needs/desires.

Thanks for your input!
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2012, 08:00 PM   #2
Tuesday
Frequent Flyer
Rep
Drives: 535LCI

I think you'll be alright based on what you are saying. Sirius is tinny and weak, so no loss there. Comfort Access is cool IF you like that sort of thing. It is my understanding that regardless of package you can still start the car without inserting the key (based on the F10 and F30's that I have driven without CA). Power tailgate is another semi-cool feature but I have gotten impatient with mine a few times because it moves sooo slooow.

You'll likely also miss out on power folding mirrors, but again - if this isn't important to you then no big loss at all.

The important part is that you'll be immensely happier with the N55 than you would with the N20 (I have driven tuned versions of both). The N20 is really not a bad motor at all - but you can tell it has limitations. I guess 550 guys would say the same about 535's. There is a lot of progress being made with a bigger, better tunes for the N55 so it is a matter of time before we really see what this engine is capable of.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2012, 08:08 PM   #3
OnlyTruth
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535 iX

Go for it, in three years should you decide to sell or trade the monetary value of options will be close to zero anyway, all what will matter is mileage and engine size.

Comfort access is cool though, it opens only if you are very close to the door and only if you insert your palm behind the handle. Still to lock the car you have to press the button unless you can program to lock it automatically.

2011 535 iX lemoned
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2012, 08:48 PM   #4
DitrasetMan
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by itschase View Post
It is my understanding that regardless of package you can still start the car without inserting the key (based on the F10 and F30's that I have driven without CA).

You'll likely also miss out on power folding mirrors, but again - if this isn't important to you then no big loss at all.
Really? You think that without the Premium Package I won't get the power folding mirrors? I can't find any documentation on "how" the power folding mirrors are added in the cars.

Also, I would love to make sure that I can start the car without inserting the key without CA.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2012, 10:42 PM   #5
dugu333
Registered
Rep
Drives: acura

You can start the car without inserting the key - this is a standard option
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2012, 12:01 AM   #6
half man half amazin
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 430 Gran Coupe

it only changes your paymet by roughly $27-30 usd, id say just go for it. power tailgate is extremely convienient and iuse it daily and power folding mirrors are a must in my book. BUt regardless you still can start car without inserting a key because there is no spot to insert it. Also you can still maually lock and unlock the car to satisfy your ocd.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2012, 05:47 PM   #7
DitrasetMan
Private First Class
Rep

So,

I still have no closure on whether or not the 535i, without CA, will or will not have the power folding mirrors. I can find no documentation on this. And according to the Ordering Guide, the Premium Package does not mention that it comes with the power folding mirrors - making me think that it is standard.

Anyone?

I can live without CA and Sirius. The power tailgate seems nice, but unnecessary. But, I might be upset if I didn't have power folding mirrors (or whatever other Secret Options you guys tell me I am missing on without the Premium Package..)
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2012, 05:54 PM   #8
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

According to Edmunds, the premium package comes with:

Power trunk lid opening and closing; Universal garage door opener; Park Distance Control sensors in the front and rear bumpers that trigger a series of beep tones that are audible to the vehicle's occupants. The beeping progressively becomes more rapid in correlation to either one of the bumpers approaching nearby obstacles; Comfort Access remote keyfob, which allows the user to unlock/lock and enter the car and start/stop the engine without using the key or keyfob, as long as the user is near the car and is in possession of the keyfob.

Power folding mirrors is not on the list.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2012, 05:56 PM   #9
DitrasetMan
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
According to Edmunds, the premium package comes with:
Power trunk lid opening and closing; Universal garage door opener; Park Distance Control sensors in the front and rear bumpers that trigger a series of beep tones that are audible to the vehicle's occupants. The beeping progressively becomes more rapid in correlation to either one of the bumpers approaching nearby obstacles; Comfort Access remote keyfob, which allows the user to unlock/lock and enter the car and start/stop the engine without using the key or keyfob, as long as the user is near the car and is in possession of the keyfob.
This is for the 2012, and it is completely different for the 2013.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2012, 11:21 PM   #10
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alpina B6 650ix GC

Garage List
Power adjustable, heated, folding, body-color side-view mirrors are standard equipment on all 5-Series models.

The 2013 535i Premium Package includes only the Power Tailgate, Comfort Access, and Sirius Radio. To me, Premium is worth it for both the Power Tailgate and Comfort Access. Even with CA, I still touch the door ridges on my car every time I walk away to both ensure the vehicle is locked, and to simultaneously fold the mirrors (which I coded the car to do). It's just very convenient to never have to use the Fob.

However, if I had a very limited amount of money to spend on options, I would forgo the $1500 Premium Package and instead get the PDC Sensors for $750, and the Backup Camera for $400, and if music sound quality means anything to you, the Premium hi-fi system is worth the extra $875. Those three can be had for $2025, or $1625 without the Backup Camera, and are worth more to me than the Power Tailgate, Comfort Access, and Sirius Radio combined for $1500.

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2012, 01:17 AM   #11
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by itschase View Post
I've coded 2 F10's without power folding mirrors.
I bet they were 2011 Models, but things changed up in 2012.

I took this straight from the 2012 Option Sheet:

Power adjustable, heated, folding, body-color side-view mirrors are standard equipment on all 5-Series models.

However, also listed as standard equipment is this, which is where the Power Folding Mirrors are actually included:

Automatic-dimming interior rear-view mirror and exterior side-view mirrors

In 2011 though, you had to order the ZPP (Premium 1) Package in order to get Auto-dimming mirrors:

430 Auto-dimming mirrors
• Cut headlight glare from any following vehicles, and include power-folding function.

So, Power Folding Mirrors are actually part of SA430 Auto-dimming mirrors, which was an option in 2011, and which now appears to be standard equipment from 2012 on.

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2012, 01:52 AM   #12
konasunset
registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535i titanium silvr 1/11 build

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnsheridan View Post
I bet they were 2011 Models, but things changed up in 2012.

I took this straight from the 2012 Option Sheet:

However, also listed as standard equipment is this, which is where the Power Folding Mirrors are actually included:

Automatic-dimming interior rear-view mirror and exterior side-view mirrors

In 2011 though, you had to order the ZPP (Premium 1) Package in order to get Auto-dimming mirrors:

430 Auto-dimming mirrors
• Cut headlight glare from any following vehicles, and include power-folding function.

So, Power Folding Mirrors are actually part of SA430 Auto-dimming mirrors, which was an option in 2011, and which now appears to be standard equipment from 2012 on.
I have a 2011 535i and power adjustable, heated, folding, body-color side-view mirrors were standard. Automatic dimming interior and side mirrors were part of the premium package.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2012, 09:07 AM   #13
skymast
Rep
Drives: 2102 BMW 535

I would step up to the 535 for sure everything above the base model is really a nice to have in my opinion and I have had folding mirrors on most of my cars and never used the feature ... Other than by accident!

Another thought for you if you really want the premium package is to step up you negotiation ... It's the end of the month and the absolute end of the model year. Invoice less the 3500 incentive is where you should start and work down from there!
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2012, 10:36 AM   #14
jackaleyess
Lieutenant
Malaysia
Rep
Drives: 2011 528i M-sport (sold), 2018

Garage List
Just want to know. Foldinh mirror is part of the optional equipment in the state? Well, in my country it is a standard and i thought it applies to other places too.
      07-29-2012, 08:21 PM   #15
dmunz
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 535i GT

Doesn't it come with the "kick to open" deal on the tailgate too? That feature alone is worth something if your shlepping a bunch of junk to the car and need to open the trunk.

It also adds a world of features for coding (e.g., trunk close from FOB, folding mirrors etc.) if you are into that sort of thing.

I'd go for it, but I'm one of those people who doesn't mind a bump in a car payment.

FWIW
DLM
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2012, 09:17 PM   #16
DitrasetMan
Private First Class
Rep

So, I spoke to my dealer, and my rep told me that: (1) power folding mirrors, (2) universal garage door opener, and (3) the keyless engine start/stop, all will come standard on my 2013 535i, WITHOUT the premium package.

Does everyone here agree as to the accuracy of that statement?

Since I am buying the car, I really don't feel like spending $1,500 for CA (when I will be using the key fob anyhow), Sirius which I won't use, and a slow moving power tailgate. Those are my thoughts.

I WILL BE getting the Technology Package and the Driver Assistance Package - those I need.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 12:13 PM   #17
JK479
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: I6-> iX

Maybe a 335i might be a compromise. Unless space is an issue in the trunk and up front, a loaded 335i tops out near the 535i base.

I admit though, the 5 series design is so much different, it may be apples and oranges in the end.

Is 27.00 a month a huge swing on a payment. Why not just negtiate lower? and get it included...
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 01:14 PM   #18
LiveLarger
Second Lieutenant
Norway
Rep
Drives: F11 520d M-sport

As far as I am concerned the 3 and the 5 series is two very different animals. Sitting in the 3 series, the car as a whole just feels cheap compared to the 5 series.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2012, 05:49 PM   #19
faz
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 x40i, 2018 330i F30

Let me just give my 2 cents about the comfort access: my wife's 2007 328i had that, and I really didn't even want it or like it, but with two kids now, it has grown on me and it is very helpful to have.

Now, on my 2011 535i, the car didn't come with CA, and I find it absolutely stupid that I have to take the key out of my pocket, unlock the car, then put the key back into my pocket, (and it is a HUGE key), and sit in the car with that huge key in my pocket since there is no place to put the damn key in.

This is the only gripe I have with this setup. If you require a key to unlock the car, then the car must have a place to solidly place the key in.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2012, 05:56 PM   #20
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by faz View Post
Let me just give my 2 cents about the comfort access: my wife's 2007 328i had that, and I really didn't even want it or like it, but with two kids now, it has grown on me and it is very helpful to have.

Now, on my 2011 535i, the car didn't come with CA, and I find it absolutely stupid that I have to take the key out of my pocket, unlock the car, then put the key back into my pocket, (and it is a HUGE key), and sit in the car with that huge key in my pocket since there is no place to put the damn key in.

This is the only gripe I have with this setup. If you require a key to unlock the car, then the car must have a place to solidly place the key in.
That huge key in your pocket goes in the slot between the two cup holders.

Appreciate 0
      07-31-2012, 06:07 PM   #21
faz
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 x40i, 2018 330i F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnsheridan View Post
That huge key in your pocket goes in the slot between the two cup holders.
Mine has a man pedal, and no two cup holders.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2012, 06:12 PM   #22
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by faz View Post
Mine has a man pedal, and no two cup holders.
Well, your screwed...but if the OP gets an 8 Speed Auto, he gets a Fob Holder.

It really sucks though that BMW couldn't figure out how to offer the 6MT with the same cup holder setup.

Appreciate 0