2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Just picked up a 2013 550I M Sport

02-15-2024, 01:22 PM   #1
SpartanV
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 550i MSport

Garage List
2013 BMW 550i  [9.13]
Was looking for a BMW for awhile and came across this beauty with only 18k miles. The previous owner kept this mint and only drove it on the weekends.

I'm well aware of the history of this engine, and have done my research. Ready financially for anything down the road.

That being said, any tips on maintenance intervals or anything in general? First time owning a BMW.

Packages installed:

M Sport

Executive

Cold Weather
Attached Images

Last edited by SpartanV; 02-17-2024 at 01:50 AM..
Appreciate 6
      02-15-2024, 02:10 PM   #2
hotrodjb96
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 550i Xdrive

Are 12-16K ready? That’s what it’s costing me on my 2013 with 65,000 on it. Good luck
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2024, 12:32 AM   #3
ctcarbonari
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 535i M Sport

Garage List
2015 BMW 535i  [0.00]
2015 BMW 535i  [0.00]
Check out Mike Miller's Lifetime Maintenance Schedule for BMW.
It's a good starting point.

http://www.dslreports.com/r0/downloa...e%20v03.13.pdf
Appreciate 2
kehn12.00
      02-16-2024, 01:46 AM   #4
Aussie_550i
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i, 2017 430i

I have an n63 (non-TU) and I've spent probably $15K on mine... but service it every 10,000km's (6000m) and it'll love you.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2024, 08:47 PM   #5
ChiltiCoatl89
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F10 BMW 535i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpartanV View Post
Was looking for a BMW for awhile and came across this beauty with only 18k miles. The previous owner kept this mint and only drove it on the weekends.

I'm well aware of the history of this engine, and have done my research. Ready financially for anything down the road.

That being said, any tips on maintenance intervals or anything in general? First time owning a BMW.

Packages installed:

M Sport

Executive

Cold Weather
Congrats! and we sure do love photos on this forum!! Watch the Oil levels and Change the Oil no more after 6k miles for starters, (5k intervals at best) inspect the Hot Vee top hoses for damage and keep a close eye on those. (tend to endure alot of heat abuse)
Appreciate 1
Conserve186.00
      02-17-2024, 04:44 PM   #6
TinCanSailor
Fueled by Recycled Dinosaurs!
Rep
Drives: F06 M6

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpartanV View Post

Packages installed:

M Sport

Executive

Cold Weather
Congrats!! I'd love to find one in this condition near me. We love our unmodified F10 550i. Other than the typical oil consumption, wear items and turbo coolant lines our car has served us very well.

Keep it original, keep a quart of oil with you, watch the coolant reservoirs for loss of fluid as ours doesn't tend to through any CEL on the few low coolant incidents we have had.
2015 F06 M6 Silverstone Metallic II, Individual Full Leather, B&O, Night Vis, CCB, RKAutowerks (CP Rods/Pistons, DI Cams, CF Intakes, Coated DP's & Billet Diff Brace), InfinityAuto Turbo Inlets, Mishi Oil Cooler, JB4, XHP S3, BM S3
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2024, 08:33 AM   #7
kehn
Registered
Japan
Rep
Drives: F10/550i/FR/2011

Congrats. Here is my story.Hope it might be your help.

Last year 2023, I bought F10 550 unmodified with 54000km odometer count. Then drove about 20000km,

Recently, found Oil leaks from between engine brock and engine oil pan.

Now going to fix by installing new engine headcover, blow by gas lines(connecting line and ventilation line) because sludges clog these lines and it makes pressure climb in the crank case then oil pushed out from case.
Appreciate 1
      02-20-2024, 11:26 AM   #8
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Congrats

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2024, 04:45 PM   #9
itsnota2ma
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 550i xDrive Msport

Congrats, nice car! I have 141K on mine and replaced the engine at 139K. With only 18K, it is like brand new. Things to watch for though: If it starts smoking, get the valve seals replaced. This is a non-TU and it will happen eventually. Watch the battery. If you don't drive it a lot, keep a tender on it. If it starts to need charging out of normal driving, it is time to replace it. Like someone else said, watch the turbo coolant lines. Also watch the PCV valve hoses, especially if someone has worked on your car. These have a tendency to crack and cause CELs. Watch ANYTHING plastic or rubber in the engine bay. The heat really takes its toll on these parts. Find yourself a reliable independent mechanic. This car is out of warranty, so most things are going to out of pocket. A really good mechanic can save you some money. Oh, and one more thing. Keep it in the garage!! Your car will thank you!

I have gotten in the habit, if it breaks, fix it. Putting off repairs and maintenance on these vehicles will bite you in the ass. Keeping up with repairs and maintenance will rewards you with a fun and comfortable ride.

Also, drive it!! These vehicles were meant to be driven!! Don't be afraid to push to 100 mph on a regular basis. This is NOT beating on it. These cars were designed to do 120+ without breaking a sweat. Even launching it from a stop every once in a while is just fine, the car can handle it! Drive it in comfort mode most of the time. Driving it in sport or sport + mode all the time it just dumb, especially with a tune. There is a time and place for that. Driving it in comfort most of the time keeps down the wear on the vehicle.

Keeping it cool is key. Don't drive it a lot on super hot days. There are mild mods to keep it cooler.

Last edited by itsnota2ma; 02-29-2024 at 04:57 PM..
Appreciate 1
      03-01-2024, 05:13 PM   #10
SpartanV
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 550i  [9.13]
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnota2ma View Post
Congrats, nice car! I have 141K on mine and replaced the engine at 139K. With only 18K, it is like brand new. Things to watch for though: If it starts smoking, get the valve seals replaced. This is a non-TU and it will happen eventually. Watch the battery. If you don't drive it a lot, keep a tender on it. If it starts to need charging out of normal driving, it is time to replace it. Like someone else said, watch the turbo coolant lines. Also watch the PCV valve hoses, especially if someone has worked on your car. These have a tendency to crack and cause CELs. Watch ANYTHING plastic or rubber in the engine bay. The heat really takes its toll on these parts. Find yourself a reliable independent mechanic. This car is out of warranty, so most things are going to out of pocket. A really good mechanic can save you some money. Oh, and one more thing. Keep it in the garage!! Your car will thank you!

I have gotten in the habit, if it breaks, fix it. Putting off repairs and maintenance on these vehicles will bite you in the ass. Keeping up with repairs and maintenance will rewards you with a fun and comfortable ride.

Also, drive it!! These vehicles were meant to be driven!! Don't be afraid to push to 100 mph on a regular basis. This is NOT beating on it. These cars were designed to do 120+ without breaking a sweat. Even launching it from a stop every once in a while is just fine, the car can handle it! Drive it in comfort mode most of the time. Driving it in sport or sport + mode all the time it just dumb, especially with a tune. There is a time and place for that. Driving [...]
Thank you so much for the helpful tips!

What cooling mods would be helpful? I was doing some research on that since I know this engine runs hot. This will be my daily driver for awhile until I get a little beeter car.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2024, 11:08 AM   #11
itsnota2ma
Private
Rep

So, some of the more common mods are the engine oil cooler. Since you live in CA, I would recommend this. An aftermarket intake can cut down on the engine temps. Others will tell you that ceramic coated downpipes will keep your engine cooler, and they might, but since you are in CA, I would not recommend this. You can do other things like larger intercoolers, meth injection, but those require a tune and modifications. There are other things, like wrapping your turbos and cats, but I think the gains are negligible. I think the oil cooler and the intake are going to be your best bets.

I also forgot to mention, use the highest octane fuel you can find. I know it is more expensive, but these are high performance engines and they perform better with higher octane fuel.

If you plan on getting a tune, I would recommend a 2nd stage tune. There are many good options out there. I think the Dinan stage two tune is sufficient for a daily driver, and between the dealer and the CA DOT, you will not have issues with this tune. It just wakes up this engine. I also have the xHP tune, which is not for everyone. In your case I think this is optional. I believe yours is a first gen N63 (one DME). If this is the case, the Dinan tune is dirt cheap and you can do it yourself if you buy the DIY kit.

One other mod I would make it get rid of the stock mufflers, they are heavy and restrictive. I put on used M5 mufflers and I am very happy with them. However, there are lots of options out there. NOTE!! I have to make some M5 adaptions to the rear bumper in order to get them to fit, e.g., M5 internal bumper, M5 lower valance.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2024, 11:39 PM   #12
SpartanV
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 550i  [9.13]
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnota2ma View Post
So, some of the more common mods are the engine oil cooler. Since you live in CA, I would recommend this. An aftermarket intake can cut down on the engine temps. Others will tell you that ceramic coated downpipes will keep your engine cooler, and they might, but since you are in CA, I would not recommend this. You can do other things like larger intercoolers, meth injection, but those require a tune and modifications. There are other things, like wrapping your turbos and cats, but I think the gains are negligible. I think the oil cooler and the intake are going to be your best bets.

I also forgot to mention, use the highest octane fuel you can find. I know it is more expensive, but these are high performance engines and they perform better with higher octane fuel.

If you plan on getting a tune, I would recommend a 2nd stage tune. There are many good options out there. I think the Dinan stage two tune is sufficient for a daily driver, and between the dealer and the CA DOT, you will not have issues with this tune. It just wakes up this engine. I also have the xHP tune, which is not for everyone. In your case I think this is optional. I believe yours is a first gen N63 (one DME). If this is the case, the Dinan tune is dirt cheap and you can do it yourself if you buy the DIY kit.

One other mod I would make it get rid of the stock mufflers, they are heavy and restrictive. I put on used M5 mufflers and I am very happy with them. However, there are lots of options out there. NOTE!! I have to make some M5 adaptions to the rear bumper in order to get them to fit, e.g., M5 [...]
Yo first off, I appreciate the detailed tips!

A few questions:

1. I was looking intl changing the OEM thermostat to a 90°C thermostat. Would that be another viable option to decrease the temps? Kinda wanna get this car ready for the summer as it gets hot AF here in Cali.

2. For the Dinan tune, do I need stage 1 first and then 2? Or can I jump into 2 from the gecko. Was also reading the Dinan stage 2 provides better mpg?

I recently ordered some Dinan free flow muffers for a very decent price brandnew in the box. So I'm really excited for those

Thank you again for the responses, first time BMW owner who wants the make this beast last for a very long time
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2024, 12:44 PM   #13
itsnota2ma
Private
Rep

1. I think you can change the thermostat, and yes that should help with the heat. I am in Wisconsin, so this is not a viable option for me.

2. You can go directly to the Stage 2 tune. Nothing is needed to do this. Just be aware it may drive a little funny for the first week or so as the computer adjusts to the new settings.

In theory, the Dinan tune is supposed to save on gas. In comfort and comfort+ modes, it really tunes it down. There is a noticeable difference. I have not done a data analysis if it actually improves your MGP, but I think I noticed between 1-2 MPG difference.

If you add the Dinan intake and maybe one more item, I think you can add the Dinan badging to your car (if that's your thing).
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2024, 01:01 PM   #14
Hornet-01
Private
Russia
Rep
Drives: BMW 550 xdrive

Garage List
2011 550ix  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie_550i View Post
I have an n63 (non-TU) and I've spent probably $15K on mine... but service it every 10,000km's (6000m) and it'll love you.
5000 km... bro... oil change according to engine hours... approximately 180-200 engine hours
Appreciate 1