2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums F10 Pricing, Ordering, and Tracking (and European Delivery) BMW Config now has 2013 5-series pricing up, question on ZDH

05-30-2012, 09:50 PM   #1
pcmike
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

BMW Config now has 2013 5-series pricing up, question on ZDH

Hi guys,

BMW Config just posted the 2013 5 series invoicing pricing and I have a question regarding options ZDH and 223. ZDH claims to have the "Dynamic Damper Control" included for $3500 and 223 is a standalone option called "Electronic Damping Control" and doesn't appear to be included in any package. Can someone tell me if these are one in the same or are they actually completely separate items? BMW Config lists them separately as does the actual BMW pricing guide.

Thank you

Fully Loaded
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2012, 10:24 AM   #2
Stryder66
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

This is what I found from 2 places - looks like it's separate... more ways to have you part with your money. Although, if you get DDC from ZDH, you wouldn't need the EDC.

What systems does Driving Dynamics Control affect?
The vehicle’s dynamic behavior comprised of steering response, shift points, throttle response, Active Roll Stabilization stiffness (Sport package), and Dynamic Damper Control are all managed through Driving Dynamics Control’s large rocker switch on the center console.

How is the Dynamic Damping Control different from BMW’s familiar Electronic Damping Control?
Dynamic Damping Control is faster than EDC because it is managed via the new FlexRay electronic communication protocol, which is the fastest of its kind in the industry. This means that at highway speeds, DDC is capable of sensing that the right-front wheel, for example, has impacted a pothole, and can adjust shock damping at the right-rear wheel before it reaches the same pothole. DDC also plays a role to help tame squat and dive under all conditions.

BMW Group -Dynamic Damping Control is an evolution of the Electronic Damping Control (EDC) that has been available on several BMW models. On the new 5 Series, Dynamic Damping Control (DDC) is combined with a slightly lowered (10mm) suspension. Dynamic Damping Control adjusts the shock absorbers to any level of firmness, quickly adapting to road conditions and the drivers demands. Suspension control is always optimum for current road conditions, vehicle speed, and load. The shocks default to the softest appropriate setting for the vehicles speed, and when the vehicle encounters an irregular road surface, they adjust instantaneously to control ride motions, preserve ride comfort, and maintain adhesion to the road. The system is so fast that even at highway speeds the system can sense a pothole at a front wheel and adjust rear-wheel damping before it reaches the same pothole. Dynamic Damping Control is the first BMW system to vary the shock absorbers jounce and rebound strokes (wheel moving upward and downward) both steplessly and independently; this capability results in a unique combination of desirable firmness (for handling) and excellent comfort on uneven road surfaces.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2012, 08:35 PM   #3
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

I answered your post in the other thread.

For 2013 there is no EDC for the F10. Option 223 is the "Dynamic Damper Control" and this is verified by the documents posted by Jason on this forum as well as my dealer who pulled up the same list from their computer for the 2013 F10's

Alan