2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Passive M-Sport Suspension vs VDC

05-22-2012, 12:18 AM   #1
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M-Sport

Passive M-Sport Suspension vs VDC

Ok, if I don't care abt ride quality, which one is sharper in terms of handling & also body control?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 04:56 AM   #2
jedpause
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330e M Sport '21

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarence View Post
Ok, if I don't care abt ride quality, which one is sharper in terms of handling & also body control?
M-Sport Suspension (VDC does different things... if you want ride quality, which you say you don't... get VDC)... but that said VDC with sport setting enabled is just as good...
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 05:35 AM   #3
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedpause View Post
M-Sport Suspension (VDC does different things... if you want ride quality, which you say you don't... get VDC)... but that said VDC with sport setting enabled is just as good...
That's wht I want to know, whether or not passive M-sport is sportier than VDC in Sport setting.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 05:37 AM   #4
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarence View Post
There will be varied opinion on this issue, as the systems are different in function.

If you want total predictability then IMO, passive suspension has to be first choice. But that doesn't mean you have more control or handling is sharper, it is just different in the way the damping works.

I sense there is more poise from VDC systems, but you really need to drive both and choose your preference.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 05:51 AM   #5
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

+1
only way to know is to try , and buy what you prefer.
I can give you my opinion of the passive Msport suspension compared to my previous e39 msport but its not going to mean much to you.
I've not tried VDC so can't comment on it.
I will say that msport suspension on 19 inch wheels is not quite as firm as my E39 was on 18 inch wheels for what thats worth IMHO.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 06:57 AM   #6
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

There's no way I can try before buying as all demo cars are on standard passive suspension. The spec I'm currently looking at is 528i M-sport w/18" rims, with M-sport suspension being standard.
As VDC is an expensive option here due to tax (iro 2,600 quid), I want to be sure it offers sth significant in terms of driver enjoyment over the passive M-sport setup.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 06:57 AM   #7
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
+1
only way to know is to try , and buy what you prefer.
I can give you my opinion of the passive Msport suspension compared to my previous e39 msport but its not going to mean much to you.
I've not tried VDC so can't comment on it.
I will say that msport suspension on 19 inch wheels is not quite as firm as my E39 was on 18 inch wheels for what thats worth IMHO.
How does it handle compare to ur E39? & how abt the steering, is EPS that bad?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 10:23 AM   #8
rikuF10
Major
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: F10 G29

Garage List
2019 BMW Z4  [0.00]
2012 BMW 528i  [8.50]
For the M-sport suspension, I think the car is lowered a bit (5mm~10mm....not sure exactly how much). But if you choose VDC option, the ride height will be back to the same as the normal suspension.

I just took delivery of a 528i with Dynamic dampers (VDC) last week. I have tried to compare the difference between Comfort/Comfort+ and sport. The ride in Sport mode is definitely firmer than Comfort with less body roll. But I think M-sport suspension should be more "sporty" because of the lower ride height......whereas the VDC gives you a bit of both worlds. It is good for those people (me) who don't want to be "sporty" all the time.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 10:34 AM   #9
BDV
Enlisted Member
Belgium
Rep
Drives: F11 525D

I have the M-Sport Suspension: it's firm (not harsh) at slow speed, planted at high speed, yet not uncomfortable. A bonus is that it looks nicer too :-)

Compare to my previous 2005 E91, also with M-Sport suspension, it's certainly more comfortable. Partly to do with the more comfy sports seats too... No width adjustments though in the F1*. That's the one thing I miss compared to the E91 sport seats...
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 11:38 AM   #10
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RikuE90 View Post
For the M-sport suspension, I think the car is lowered a bit (5mm~10mm....not sure exactly how much). But if you choose VDC option, the ride height will be back to the same as the normal suspension.
It lowers by 10mm. Too bad they don't have one with passive M-sport for comparison. How do u find ur new car compared to ur previous car?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 11:40 AM   #11
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDV View Post
I have the M-Sport Suspension: it's firm (not harsh) at slow speed, planted at high speed, yet not uncomfortable. A bonus is that it looks nicer too :-)

Compare to my previous 2005 E91, also with M-Sport suspension, it's certainly more comfortable. Partly to do with the more comfy sports seats too... No width adjustments though in the F1*. That's the one thing I miss compared to the E91 sport seats...

How does the handling compare with the E91? I thought the side bolsters are adjustable with the sport seats on the F10.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 02:41 PM   #12
BDV
Enlisted Member
Belgium
Rep
Drives: F11 525D

Certainly not as tight as the E91 with M-sport suspension. I guess the weight does play its part... On the other hand, for it's weight, it's certainly better than I expected.

My sport seats have no adjustable side bolsters, nor do they have memory (yet they do have all the slide and tilt adjustments). Maybe there's another variant that does have them?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 04:05 PM   #13
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

Clarence,
I have a F10 with style 351 wheels (19") and Michellin RFT. Bog standard msport suspecion (passive)
Compared to my E39 with 18" wheels, I find the ride not quite as firm.
Its still firm but not quite as much.
Its a strange ride in fact , I can't quite put my finger on it, but it feels generally smooth until you hit a bad piece of road and then you are certianly aware of it.
As for the steering, well much has been written about it in these forums and my opinion of it is that it is simply no comparison to the E39 steering.
that was nice and heavy where you feel everthing the fornt wheel were doing, you could almost feel the surface of the road .It inspired a lot of confidence as a result.
Generally the ride and sterring we more sporty. I'd say the F10 msport is a difrerent car to the E39 msport.Feels more luxurious than sporty.
The steering on the F10 is so much more lighter . the ifrst time I drove one when I got back into my E39 it felt like tehre was no power steering , there was that much difference.I don't whether all cars these days have light steering and that is just what we have to live with no as this is new norm?
I'll get used to it but it nowhere as good as the E39 by a long way.I'd give the E39 10/10 for steering but the F10 5/10
I'm sure as its software it must be able to be changed. If you select sport mode, it does weight up a bit but it doesn't feel that much to me , certianly nowhere as heavy as the E39.
The Runflat tyres may be part of the issue as well.Not sure if anyone has replaced them on a F10 with EPS and if os, what the result was.
I read that the Alpina D5 had something done to the steering, not sure what it was though - did wonder if it was better (heavier) whether that is something that could be retrofitted to a non alpina?

Perhaps the F30 is actually the sucessor to the E39, its about the same size where as the F10 feels so much larger even though its only 2 inches wider and 5 inches longer.The higher bonnet and hence lower part of the windscreen help to emphasize that.
As I'm still running the car in I've not 'thrown it around' yet
Appreciate 0