2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Highbeam light turns on when using turn signal?

01-04-2012, 12:31 PM   #1
TimeFor
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 i3S REx

Garage List
Highbeam light turns on when using turn signal?

I haven't confirmed this by sitting in front of the car, but from the reflection I see on cars in front of me it seems like the high beam light turns on when I turn on the turn signal. It only lights up on the side I'm turning and then fades off after a second even if the turn signal is still going. I've search the forums but couldn't find anything about this. Is this normal?

It seems kind of strange.

-Time
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 12:38 PM   #2
delvek
Major
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2014 550i Msport

Are you sure your not confusing the high beams with directional head lights when you are turning?
      01-04-2012, 12:40 PM   #3
vdubturbo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90, E36, 997

I had a friend of mine stand in front of the car a couple weeks ago to see what was going on here.

That's actually a cornering lamp. Verified it in the owner's manual. Its a little odd b/c it resides in the location normally reserved for the high beam... and is quite out of the way to intuitively be a cornering lamp. It comes on a low speed to illuminate the path of the car, much like the old Lincoln's and Caddy's.

The high beam is actually the primary Xenon projector opened up to max aperture.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 12:55 PM   #4
TimeFor
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 i3S REx

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdubturbo View Post
I had a friend of mine stand in front of the car a couple weeks ago to see what was going on here.

That's actually a cornering lamp. Verified it in the owner's manual. Its a little odd b/c it resides in the location normally reserved for the high beam... and is quite out of the way to intuitively be a cornering lamp. It comes on a low speed to illuminate the path of the car, much like the old Lincoln's and Caddy's.

The high beam is actually the primary Xenon projector opened up to max aperture.
Ahh, Ok. Thanks for the info about the feature. It didn't seem to be doing it every time so I was curious what it was. That makes sense now as its based on speed. I'm guessing it can't be turned off. Or at least not have it on during the day. If I saw that behind me I would probably think someone was flashing me for some reason.

-Time
Appreciate 0