2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK Headlight bulb recommendations?

08-07-2017, 10:24 AM   #1
Danburns91
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Space Grey Metallic F10

Headlight bulb recommendations?

I'm currently looking to change my standard bulbs of my 2012 f10. The car has been spec'd with the visibilty package but the bulbs haven't been changed since new.

I've been looking at a few osram/Philips bulbs but these LED bulb upgrades look tempted. Has anybody got any experience with these?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2017, 12:21 PM   #2
MrPogle
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 550i M-Sport LCI

Usually this type of thing is poor. Headlamps have an incredibly carefully designed reflector and when you replace a virtually point-source of light (a filament) with multiple differently positioned points of light (an led cluster) the light goes everywhere. However, if the led replacement is a single led, it might work OK. In the past I have used Philips high-output bulbs and the results where underwhelming. You could tell they where a bit brighter but it didn't seem to equate to seeing more on the road.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2017, 02:04 PM   #3
Danburns91
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Space Grey Metallic F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPogle View Post
Usually this type of thing is poor. Headlamps have an incredibly carefully designed reflector and when you replace a virtually point-source of light (a filament) with multiple differently positioned points of light (an led cluster) the light goes everywhere. However, if the led replacement is a single led, it might work OK. In the past I have used Philips high-output bulbs and the results where underwhelming. You could tell they where a bit brighter but it didn't seem to equate to seeing more on the road.
This is the sort of thing I'm looking at. For that money you can usually pick up a half decent d1s though!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272756518999
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2017, 02:45 PM   #4
Apples12
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 520D LCI auto

Just go for osram CBI bulbs if you have the visibility package if I'm not mistaken you should also have xenon's

Osram cbi's are the way to go - look on www.hidplanet.com for more inspiration
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2017, 04:06 PM   #5
Mogwai888
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: iX3

The CBIs aren't a bad shout if you're looking for a bit more bluer/whiter light. They're great in the right conditions (dry) but I found they weren't as good when the roads were wet.

The led kits seem to be throwing some hefty light output and I'd be slightly cautious of the actual real life performance.

This thread is an interesting read from the f30 forum which compared OEM xenon to OEM leds. http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1230507
The bulbs you've linked to are claiming lumen output of well over OEM xenon and LEDs.

If you do go for the led kit I'd be interested how you get on if you don't mind being a guinea pig. There's just doesn't seem to be, from my limited research, of many real life examples of people switching from OEM xenon bulbs to retrofit led bulbs.
Appreciate 0