2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum No oil in my car?

11-11-2013, 07:49 AM   #1
WarReady
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 550ix M-SPORT

No oil in my car?

My cars practically brand new it only has 3800 miles on it and the cars telling me it's at the minimum level for oil..! I went to check it and there's no oil dip stick!? That's dumb especially because of the fact that the sensor inside the motor that tells u the oil level is known to fail which could have u putting too much oil in your car without knowing? I guess I'm just very aggravated lol has anyone else had this problem..!???
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2013, 08:38 AM   #2
JamRWS6
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by STACKZ89
My cars practically brand new it only has 3800 miles on it and the cars telling me it's at the minimum level for oil..! I went to check it and there's no oil dip stick!? That's dumb especially because of the fact that the sensor inside the motor that tells u the oil level is known to fail which could have u putting too much oil in your car without knowing? I guess I'm just very aggravated lol has anyone else had this problem..!???
It doesn't say you have no oil, it says you've reached the minimum level and to add one quart. Add the quart and re-check through I drive. I've never heard of a sensor failure.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2013, 09:40 AM   #3
valcor535
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535I X-Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamRWS6 View Post
It doesn't say you have no oil, it says you've reached the minimum level and to add one quart. Add the quart and re-check through I drive. I've never heard of a sensor failure.

+1
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2013, 10:11 AM   #4
raleedy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i 6-speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by STACKZ89 View Post
What's your source for the statement about the sensor being "known to fail"? Since you didn't even notice the absence of a dipstick until you got the low oil warning it seems to me you should be down on your knees thanking BMW for anticipating your negligence. The system saves you having to do dipstick checking! Engine failure due to low oil might not be covered by warranty.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2013, 12:22 PM   #5
dr.mba
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 F. Grey M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by raleedy View Post
What's your source for the statement about the sensor being "known to fail"? Since you didn't even notice the absence of a dipstick until you got the low oil warning it seems to me you should be down on your knees thanking BMW for anticipating your negligence. The system saves you having to do dipstick checking! Engine failure due to low oil might not be covered by warranty.
LOL. I honestly would not have checked my oil level if I had a stick. The 550 is known to waste oil like mad. Having the sensor is a safety mechanism, which I believe is put in there because they realize how many bust engines they would have without it.

MBA
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2013, 08:13 PM   #6
weissja
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 550i

Welcome to the oil burning club. It's a known defect. Don't let BMW tell you otherwise. BMW is replacing my engine and I'm not happy about this approach. My car will not be the same. There is no way my car will be the same given all the removal and replacement the dealer is currently doing on my car. Keep good records of all the oil you will be putting into your engine. Also, file a complaint at www.safercar.gov. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 04:49 AM   #7
remmib
General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport

Mine has a dip stick for some reason, maybe because it's a diesel.

F10 520d M-Sport Alpine White | HRE P43SC 20x9+20x11 | Michelin PSS 255/35+295/30 | KW V3 Coilover | M5 Front Sway Bar + M550d Rear Sway Bar | 3DDesign Front Lip | BMW M Performance CF Spoiler | BMW M Performance Diffuser | BMW M Performance Black Grills | BMW M Performance Pedals |
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 07:01 AM   #8
bake
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 F10, 2013 E93

I like the electronic sensor, but I too find it bothersome that there is no dipstick. And regarding oil level sensors tendency to fail, that is very true in some older models, not sure if that issue has been resolved in the F10. I had two E46's in the past, and both had failed oil level sensors at some point during my ownership. It was a pretty well documented issue on the message boards as well.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 10:05 AM   #9
WarReady
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

And considering I've had a cls 550 and I've never had this problem!!
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 10:07 AM   #10
WarReady
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by raleedy
Quote:
I have a good buddy who is a shop manager at a bmw dealer here in ny and he has told me that the same sensor that's in the 550i is in the 750i and he has had 2 sensors fail 1 guy put 1 quart in when the I drive told him and he overfilled the motor with oil..!! I think it's a poor design and y would I look for a dipstick on my car considering it's 3 months old with 4k miles??
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 01:21 PM   #11
raleedy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i 6-speed

Quote:
I have a good buddy who is a shop manager at a bmw dealer here in ny and he has told me that the same sensor that's in the 550i is in the 750i and he has had 2 sensors fail 1 guy put 1 quart in when the I drive told him and he overfilled the motor with oil..!! I think it's a poor design and y would I look for a dipstick on my car considering it's 3 months old with 4k miles??
Well, it's a reasonable question. The point I'm making is that, dipstick or no, you were not checking your oil. A dipstick will not give you a low oil warning unless you use it. At least the electronic system, when it works, doesn't require any action on your part.

If your complaint is about excessive oil consumption on the 550, I don't think the absence of a dipstick has anything to do with it.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 05:12 PM   #12
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

Quote:
2 sensors fail is hardly a wide spread problem. Many BMW owners do not even know where the dip stick is, therefore a electronic sensor is much more user friendly. No having a dip stick also decrease the chance for oil contamination.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2013, 04:35 AM   #13
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by raleedy View Post
Well, it's a reasonable question. The point I'm making is that, dipstick or no, you were not checking your oil. A dipstick will not give you a low oil warning unless you use it. At least the electronic system, when it works, doesn't require any action on your part.

If your complaint is about excessive oil consumption on the 550, I don't think the absence of a dipstick has anything to do with it.

Totally agree. System did its job, as the OP never bothered to check the oil level.

Any 'new' car to me (new or used), I'll be watching the oil level like a hawk. So easy to do with the iDrive system, so no excuse for not checking oil regularly. I can't even imagine not checking my oil level at least every 500 miles, even after knowing it is not normally using oil.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0