2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Where Did The Fog Lights Go! I Can't See Through The Fog Of Marketing

11-14-2013, 03:08 PM   #23
JamRWS6
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3M Competition

I could care less about the fogs since they don't match the headlight color. I leave them off permanently. I've never been in fog dense enough to show any improvement with them over low beam xenons.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2013, 05:26 PM   #24
Diesel_Lover
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamRWS6 View Post
I could care less about the fogs since they don't match the headlight color. I leave them off permanently. I've never been in fog dense enough to show any improvement with them over low beam xenons.
I used to drive out of the mountains and into Denver on I70 quite a bit, and in the foothills starting from Evergreen it can get really foggy, and fog lights are a necessity.

I don't live out that way anymore, but I still visit. regular lights just don't cut it in those conditions. An important, and inexpensive safety feature when not packaged with other luxuries.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2013, 05:30 PM   #25
Grover432
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 535 XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel_Lover View Post
Agreed, it is much cheaper to buy a car in the U.S. then Europe, but wages are much lower than in Germany, so it is relative.

Cars will not sell here at that prices sold in Europe, but selling here helps give BMW economies of scale. Which lowers car prices for everyone on average. So, I think that point is moot.

The fact is they can get away with charging us 2k for fog lights. Unless, customers bitch, and I posted this to start the bitching, and hope that they here us.

I'm mad as hell, and I'm not going to take it anymore.
You should buy an Audi already. I've ready several of the threads you have started and many complain about the F10:

No 704 suspension
Is BMW Blind?
Why do I have to pay extra for fog lights in a $50,000 car, etc. etc.

If you get an Audi, you may get lower quality, but you can get more stuff with your car than with a BMW. That isn't BMW's niche.

If you think BMW is bad with option costs and packages, you should check out Porsche. You can easily spend 50% more than the base value of the car to get popular options.

Starting a thread to harass BMW about all of these issues won't do any more than them starting a thread to complain that you don't make enough money to afford a well equipped F10.

Both ideas are ridiculous, of course.
      11-14-2013, 05:44 PM   #26
Diesel_Lover
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover432 View Post
You should buy an Audi already. I've ready several of the threads you have started and many complain about the F10:

No 704 suspension
Is BMW Blind?
Why do I have to pay extra for fog lights in a $50,000 car, etc. etc.

If you get an Audi, you may get lower quality, but you can get more stuff with your car than with a BMW. That isn't BMW's niche.

If you think BMW is bad with option costs and packages, you should check out Porsche. You can easily spend 50% more than the base value of the car to get popular options.

Starting a thread to harass BMW about all of these issues won't do any more than them starting a thread to complain that you don't make enough money to afford a well equipped F10.

Both ideas are ridiculous, of course.
I actually came to the same conclusion, and drove all the Audi diesel models that interested me. I hated the electric steering, and the color selection is just as drab. Also, prices are higher on the diesels, and I like the quality of BMW. BMW 535dx has hydraulic steering, which I love.

You are probably correct in pointing out that I am shouting into the wind, but I think, unlike other car companies, BMW listens to its customers.

In addition, I am finding many of the complaints I have are being resolved, due to these posts.

I talked to a guy today at BMW in CA that has done many custom color orders, and he told me not all of them are $5,000, and that some of them can be $0. He is getting back to me after he does a little research. I got this guys number from a link posted here. Also, I think that fog lights may be able to be ordered on the base model by request. I am still exploring that avenue.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2013, 06:30 PM   #27
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover432 View Post
You should buy an Audi already.
There is no fog lights on the Audi A6 either.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2013, 06:46 PM   #28
Grover432
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
There is no fog lights on the Audi A6 either.
Exactly
      11-14-2013, 10:33 PM   #29
760Lifan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 4xe Summit R & Trailhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by matbl View Post
But in this case the German prices includes 19% VAT and the US doesn't. Right?
Still more expensive in Germany but not as much as the above numbers.
True - the German numbers include VAT - but don't forget that as of today, 1 Euro = 1.34 USD.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2013, 11:09 AM   #30
Grover432
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel_Lover View Post
I actually came to the same conclusion, and drove all the Audi diesel models that interested me. I hated the electric steering, and the color selection is just as drab. Also, prices are higher on the diesels, and I like the quality of BMW. BMW 535dx has hydraulic steering, which I love.

You are probably correct in pointing out that I am shouting into the wind, but I think, unlike other car companies, BMW listens to its customers.

In addition, I am finding many of the complaints I have are being resolved, due to these posts.

I talked to a guy today at BMW in CA that has done many custom color orders, and he told me not all of them are $5,000, and that some of them can be $0. He is getting back to me after he does a little research. I got this guys number from a link posted here. Also, I think that fog lights may be able to be ordered on the base model by request. I am still exploring that avenue.
You should move to Canada. My M Sport has fog lights and the Modern and Luxury lines get them as standard equipment as well. Of course our cars are 15% more costly than in the USA, so that part isn't so good. I've had them on all of my cars and seldom used them. In my jurisdiction, the use of fog lights is prohibited unless there is reduced visibility due to snow, fog or rain.
      11-15-2013, 11:15 AM   #31
raleedy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i 6-speed

I believe the only F10 model that comes with no front fog lights in the U.S. is the "no-line" model, which is the one you have to order if you want cinnamon leather inside. Otherwise (unless you really want vinyl seats) there isn't much reason not to pick one of the lines and suck up the additional cost beyond the charge for leather seats and the value of the fog lights (if any). In the US, I felt obliged to go with the M-Sport because I liked the wheel/tire offerings there the best. So I had to pay for (and put up with) the somewhat senseless //M décor in a car that isn't really very sportlich when you get right down to it.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2013, 11:22 AM   #32
Diesel_Lover
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by raleedy View Post
I believe the only F10 model that comes with no front fog lights in the U.S. is the "no-line" model, which is the one you have to order if you want cinnamon leather inside. Otherwise (unless you really want vinyl seats) there isn't much reason not to pick one of the lines and suck up the additional cost beyond the charge for leather seats and the value of the fog lights (if any). In the US, I felt obliged to go with the M-Sport because I liked the wheel/tire offerings there the best. So I had to pay for (and put up with) the somewhat senseless //M décor in a car that isn't really very sportlich when you get right down to it.
Got a sister?

I am going with base model:

My imaginary build right now:

Base 535dx
Paint Special Request: Hellrot Red\Cinnamon

Harmon Kardon
DHS

Special Request:

Fog Lights
Automatic high beams
Satellite Radio
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2013, 09:19 PM   #33
Mbbrewer
Captain
Rep
Drives: 550i

The fog lights look absolutely hideous. You should be happy you don't have them as I had to buy the m550d grille to get rid of them.
Appreciate 0