2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Possibly Trading in 2011 535i for the Same Car but with DHP.. Questions!

07-07-2010, 09:57 PM   #1
JeffreyJames
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Possibly Trading in 2011 535i for the Same Car but with DHP.. Questions!

*I've posted this on another forum, so if you've already read this, obviously go on to the next thread. I just want to get as much feedback as possible with this decision.

I bought a 2011 535i off the lot. (last time I won't "build" one myself)

I thought the "sport package" included a sport suspension.. I'm still not certain if the sport package has the same suspension as the non sport, but I'm thinking it does.

It has:

-Sport
-Nav
-Premium 1
-Comfort Access
-Convenience Package
-Ipod
-Parking Distance Sensor

The problem that I've posted before is that the handling just really seems loose.. Coming from the 335, it's a big difference.

I'm reading on here that the Dynamic Handling Package, is a must if your a sport/enthusiast driver.

So I went in to the CA, and said this is what I want to build:

-Sport
-Premium
-Paddles
-Nav
-iPod
-Comfort Access
-Dynamic Handling Package

My questions are - And Sorry for the neurotic volume of questions..

1. Is the DHP really noticeable?

-Can more people comment on the difference between the DHP and non-DHP package?

-Will it tighten the suspension, be tighter in the steering, and greatly reduce body roll to the point that it's worth all this trouble?

-Would anyone not do the DHP again if given the choice?

-Arent' there some kinks with the DHP that people have noticed, if so, what are they?

2. Can anyone verify if the non DHP Normal to Sport mode does anything other than alter the throttle response? (steering change, suspension change?)

3. If I don't elect Active Steering, will my steering even with DHP feel as "muted" as it does without the DHP now? I've heard good and bad things about the Active Steering.

4. Would you elect the M-Sport Package over DHP, and if so does anyone know how much extra that will be?

I will stand to lose around $4-5,000 if I do this, it's the price I pay for not researching the car properly, and being impulsive.

Let me know your thoughts.

Thx,

Jeff
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2010, 10:17 PM   #2
bm323
Captain
Rep
Drives: 12.2 E92 M3 ZCP; 12.7 C63

Just to confirm, does your f10 have the 8 speed sport tranny and the toggle button with normal, sport and sport+ function?

The DHP on a 535 and 550 will tighten the suspension for sure and reduce body roll. DHP does not mute the steering further.

Steering is sharper with the toggle button in sport mode, but suspension is not affected if DHP is not present. A forummer however has commented that suspension in his f10 with m sport suspension is tighter with the toggle button in sport mode. I think the car feels tighter but it's not certain that the suspension is tightened. The toggle button is called dynamic driving control (not to be confused with option 229 dynamic drive which is the active anti roll bars, or option 2VA adaptive drive).

There are some in this forum who have opted for the m sport suspension instead of DHP. It is not entirely clear whether the suspension is tighter in DHP sport mode, or M sport suspension.

From your comments, you should consider changing the suspension and maybe add on permanent anti-roll bars. DHP is useful only if you wish to have different modes of driving at different times, and damping for uneven roads. This may not be what you seek.

http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=368952 is a long thread but there are links and useful information.

check out also http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=405658

Last edited by bm323; 07-08-2010 at 04:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2010, 10:42 PM   #3
Lezam
Chillerrrr
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi sedan

I think it depends on what kind of driving you do.

On my test drive the DHP really enhanced throttle response, and made the body feel quite a bit tighter. For the 0-60 sprint, the DHP in sport mode performed with much more bite than the normal mode did. However, when we merged onto the highway I felt that the sport mode was unnecessary, and opted for normal mode until we drove back to a more stop and go environment, which is when I switched back to sport mode.

I asked the dealer bring me a car equipped with DHP, and one without. Its my feeling that if most of your driving is highway, you won't have an issue with the normal mode. The ride is going to feel very plush and boat like, but when you're cruising on the highway that isn't a bad thing. However, if you do wish to have a sporty ride around the city, as well as having the choice on the highway - the DHP package is something worthwhile opting for.

Its all about the sporty feeling, the power is in the car on both packages. It just comes down to whether you feel its worth it. You should probably test drive a DHP equipped 5er before you make a decision.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2010, 05:40 AM   #4
pharding
Major
Rep
Drives: 23 Audi Q4 e-tron + 14 X3 28i

Cushy ride = Lexus. Sporty ride = BMW.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2010, 01:00 PM   #5
kimluk
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E46/328i

It all depends on your personal preference and driving habits. For me it is a deal breaker. I test drive both. The steering for the standard 535i (w/o Dynamic Handling Package) is non-BMW like (too much power assist). In Comfort or Normal mode (with Dynamic Handling Package), the steering is about the same as the standard 535i. In Sport or Sport+ mode, the steering is acceptable (less power assist), but it is still not as good as 2011 335i or my old 1999 328i.

I did consider ordering M-Sport package over Dynamic Handling Package.The M-Sport package specifications for UK is available and I like it over Dynamic Handling Package. The US Spec isn't available yet. From what I can gather (BMW user forums and M-Sport spec for E60), the US spec will be different from the UK spec. The US M-Sport Package will mostly be cosmetic with no real performance or handling upgrade. The US M-Sport Package will not be available till October. I am doing ED on September and have to finalize my order this week. If I know for sure the US spec is the same as the UK spec, then I would have rescheduled my ED and wait the M-Sport Package.

At the last minute I added a safety option: Side and top view Cameras. It has two cameras mounted in front of the front wheels looking side-way (left and right). When you are pulling out of a narrow driveway and your view of the cross traffic is blocked, the cameras will let you peek at the cross traffic situation before entering the street safely. It is a $800 option, but you must add Rear-view camera and Park Distance Control. A total cost of $1950. It is expensive, but worth to have if it can avoid one minor fender blender.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2010, 01:17 PM   #6
kimluk
Enlisted Member
Rep

It all depends on your personal preference and driving habits. For me it is a deal breaker. I test drive both. The steering for the standard 535i (w/o Dynamic Handling Package) is non-BMW like (too much power assist). In Comfort or Normal mode (with Dynamic Handling Package), the steering is about the same as the standard 535i. In Sport or Sport+ mode, the steering is acceptable (less power assist), but it is still not as good as 2011 335i or my old 1999 328i.

I did consider ordering M-Sport package over Dynamic Handling Package.The M-Sport package specifications for UK is available and I like it over Dynamic Handling Package. The US Spec isn't available yet. From what I can gather (BMW user forums and M-Sport spec for E60), the US spec will be different from the UK spec. The US M-Sport Package will mostly be cosmetic with no real performance or handling upgrade. The US M-Sport Package will not be available till October. I am doing ED on September and have to finalize my order this week. If I know for sure the US spec is the same as the UK spec, then I would have rescheduled my ED and wait the M-Sport Package.

At the last minute I added a safety option: Side and top view Cameras. It has two cameras mounted in front of the front wheels looking side-way (left and right). When you are pulling out of a narrow driveway and your view of the cross traffic is blocked, the cameras will let you peek at the cross traffic situation before entering the street safely. It is a $800 option, but you must add Rear-view camera and Park Distance Control. A total cost of $1950. It is expensive, but worth to have if it can avoid one minor fender blender.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2010, 01:35 PM   #7
bm323
Captain
Rep
Drives: 12.2 E92 M3 ZCP; 12.7 C63

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimluk View Post
I did consider ordering M-Sport package over Dynamic Handling Package.The M-Sport package specifications for UK is available and I like it over Dynamic Handling Package.
Have you test driven a f10 with m sport suspension comparing it with a f10 with dynamic handling in sport mode with its drivetrain and chassis adjusted?
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2010, 02:01 PM   #8
kimluk
Enlisted Member
Rep

No, I haven't. M-sport Package will not be available in US till December. It will be available to order in October in US.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2010, 02:59 PM   #9
carl_d
General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M-Sport N55 6SP Nov10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimluk View Post
No, I haven't. M-sport Package will not be available in US till December. It will be available to order in October in US.
Since you're coming from a 3 then
1) Consider M-Sport suspension
2) or Dynamic Damping Control with Adaptive Drive
3) but avoid Integral Active Steering

1) and 2) cannot be mixed!!!
2010 E90 335i M-Sport, 2005 E90 325i M-Sport, 2003 E60 520i, 2002 E46 330i Sport II, 2000 E46 325i Sport I, 1999 E46 318i, 1998 E46 323i SE, 1996 E36 323i SE, 1996 E34 518i, 1995 E36 320iA, 1994 E36 316i

Last edited by carl_d; 07-08-2010 at 04:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2010, 04:36 PM   #10
rocco90
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Airbus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyJames View Post
Sticker: $60,075
I got it for: $57,400
Just a curiosity what negotiation was involved in order to get such a good in my opinion discount? Was it because the vehicle was already in the dealership and could you have a close discount if you customize it...
Appreciate 0