2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding Media Cradle

03-12-2012, 04:00 PM   #1
Ellmat
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E70 3.0D MSport

Media Cradle

I expect to collect my new F10 next week. I asked the dealer to obtain a new media cradle for my IPhone and was told that BMW has a problem with the cradle and expect a delay...has anyone else heard of know of this..???
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2012, 04:58 PM   #2
Clite1974
Clite 1974
Belgium
Rep
Drives: 525 xd 3.0

I have to buy a new phone, which do you advise ? And which cradle?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2012, 05:03 PM   #3
Ellmat
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clite1974 View Post
In my 2 previous F10, i have used the Iphone without any problem.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 05:50 AM   #4
eskdale
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 520d M Sport Touring F11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clite1974 View Post
If you want to use the BMW Apps and Plugin then it will have to be the iPhone at the moment (BMW did promise support for Android but nothing has materialised) and if you want to use the Plugin and videos then you will have to have the Media Cradle.

If you want to use the Office facilities such as email and SMS (a few other phones do support SMS) then you will have to buy a Blackberry.

So if you want all the features you need to buy 2 !!
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 04:28 PM   #5
crl8474
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

I picked up my car yesterday and was a little bummed that the Office feature doesn't currently work with the Iphone but I'm sure it'll get worked out in the near future. As for the cradle, I couldn't justify getting it since Office doesn't work and watching videos isn't all that important to me. The regular Iphone usb cable works just fine for everything else.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 04:45 PM   #6
rhinosaur
First Lieutenant
Portugal
Rep
Drives: F11 535d MY2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by crl8474 View Post
I picked up my car yesterday and was a little bummed that the Office feature doesn't currently work with the Iphone but I'm sure it'll get worked out in the near future. As for the cradle, I couldn't justify getting it since Office doesn't work and watching videos isn't all that important to me. The regular Iphone usb cable works just fine for everything else.
Can you tell me if "everything else" means that everything music related works as well? For example, album covers, metadata, etc... Are you able to use all the iPhone's music capabilities? Do you need the Y-cable or just a regular USB cable?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 05:08 PM   #7
Ellmat
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crl8474 View Post
Thats a good point you make about Office and videos, think i`ll forget the cradle for the moment...
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 05:12 PM   #8
eskdale
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 520d M Sport Touring F11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhinosaur View Post
Can you tell me if "everything else" means that everything music related works as well? For example, album covers, metadata, etc... Are you able to use all the iPhone's music capabilities? Do you need the Y-cable or just a regular USB cable?
If you have a combox vehicle there is no advantage in having the Y cable. Your Album Art and BMW apps should work but you won't get the Plugin feature without the Media Cradle. So without the plugin you won't get the Genius playlist and the ability to fast forward / rewind through tracks. I like to listen to podcasts. Using the Plugin you can fast forward through any parts you are not interested in. (If you can do this with the BMW interface I don't know how - Anybody?)
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 10:10 AM   #9
Ellmat
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskdale View Post
If you have a combox vehicle there is no advantage in having the Y cable. Your Album Art and BMW apps should work but you won't get the Plugin feature without the Media Cradle. So without the plugin you won't get the Genius playlist and the ability to fast forward / rewind through tracks. I like to listen to podcasts. Using the Plugin you can fast forward through any parts you are not interested in. (If you can do this with the BMW interface I don't know how - Anybody?)
When you say video...do you mean music videos or can you download a film from Apple and watch it in the car..?
Appreciate 0