2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Is BMW Color Blind?

11-11-2013, 09:36 PM   #23
Grover432
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 535 XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel_Lover View Post
From the movie Big with Tom Hanks

What's a marketing report!

I don't get it!

Say what you want, but BMW is selling more cars than its competitors, that wasn't by accident.
      11-12-2013, 12:15 AM   #24
Cairo Kid
Private First Class
Qatar
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M Sport Package

BMW do provide almost any color a customer wants and I've seen a few "unique" colours at my local dealer who are looking for something different. As has been said though, this comes at a price.

I've got to say though that the coating systems used have a depth of colour and visual texture that can't be seen on line. Personally, I don't recall seeing any new racing green bimmers, but I have seen the sakhir orange (awesome colour, not my cup of tea), a bright purple (sold very quickly too, different strokes and all that) and another in a metallic goldish yellow.

BMW cars are highly personalizable (not sure if that's a word), but when all is said and done, these are luxury items and each special request will come with a (usually expensive) price tag. It's up to the customer to evaluate whether they consider it worth paying.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 12:41 AM   #25
COBodom
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 540i

Quote:
What are the Prices and where are the available colors, not on website, for 2014 F10?

I am sure you can’t paint it any color you want; there has to be some color wheel someplace.

I asked my dealer, and they said, that the only colors they are aware of are on the website.
This should give you a rough idea of the price (3 series though).

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=894825
Attached Images

11-12-2013, 06:17 AM   #26
pablo-the-diablo
Rep
Drives: BMW 530d Xdrive

I cannot agree more with Diesel-Lover. The choice of colors looks a bit strange to me... maybe it is just me... but I do not like any of the grays or blacks. I like the imperial blue only... except when the car is under the sun... then it will show bright purple... so weird
And what about the interiors??? anybody likes cinnamon??? I tried to convince myself it combined well with imperial blue... but no way lol...
Anyway... colors is a very very subjective area... in the place where I live most cars are gray, black or white (what I call "boring" colors)... it is obvious that people like those here.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 09:33 AM   #27
Diesel_Lover
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3NNIS View Post
What are you talking about. You can get whatever color you want.
My dealer doesn't seem to know anything about it. They are looking at me like I have two heads. They say, the only colors available are the ones on the website. They also say, no one has ever asked them for a color not on the website. This is a very small dealership, so maybe that is true.

When you say any color you want, from what selection? There must be a palette to choose from, and a price list to go along with it.

Where can I view the colors, so I can see possible colors, and I can get a price quote, or do I send them a sample color, and they match it.

I don't understand the custom color selection process, and pricing.

Can someone please give me a link to this information.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 09:45 AM   #28
Diesel_Lover
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cairo Kid View Post
BMW do provide almost any color a customer wants and I've seen a few "unique" colours at my local dealer who are looking for something different. As has been said though, this comes at a price.

I've got to say though that the coating systems used have a depth of colour and visual texture that can't be seen on line. Personally, I don't recall seeing any new racing green bimmers, but I have seen the sakhir orange (awesome colour, not my cup of tea), a bright purple (sold very quickly too, different strokes and all that) and another in a metallic goldish yellow.

BMW cars are highly personalizable (not sure if that's a word), but when all is said and done, these are luxury items and each special request will come with a (usually expensive) price tag. It's up to the customer to evaluate whether they consider it worth paying.
I am not a rich guy, but I buy BMW's because there is a lot of value in buying a quality product. Assuming you can get it at a fair price. There should be a wide spectrum of colors available, not just monochromatic colors.

For example, there should always be across the board for all cars, a non-metallic red choice at no cost, along with the Alpine White and Jet Black.

It would also be nice in the M-Sport line if they added a bright color like Luguna Seca Blue or Imalo Yellow or red.

Also, BMW should recognize that if I find a color I love, I am much more likely to add packages and options.

I mean if your buying a grey, black, or white car, for lack of color options. There will always a feeling of dissatisfaction with the car despite the quality and performance.

I have a non-metallic red car, and everyday I walk out to my car, and smile. It is such a beautiful car. I have had monochromatic colors before, and I don't get that feeling of pride as much.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 10:18 AM   #29
Grover432
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I am not a rich guy, but I buy BMW's because there is a lot of value in buying a quality product. Assuming you can get it at a fair price. There should be a wide spectrum of colors available, not just monochromatic colors.

For example, there should always be across the board for all cars, a non-metallic red choice at no cost, along with the Alpine White and Jet Black.

It would also be nice in the M-Sport line if they added a bright color like Luguna Seca Blue or Imalo Yellow or red.

Also, BMW should recognize that if I find a color I love, I am much more likely to add packages and options.

I mean if your buying a grey, black, or white car, for lack of color options. There will always a feeling of dissatisfaction with the car despite the quality and performance.

I have a non-metallic red car, and everyday I walk out to my car, and smile. It is such a beautiful car. I have had monochromatic colors before, and I don't get that feeling of pride as much.
As others have written, you can get whatever colour you want if you special order it. As for the stock colours, they have what sells to the masses, not what a few "enthusiasts" here (including me) would put on their car if there was a wider pallet.

Given that you are very concerned about option cost and retained value, regardless of what colour you'd really like your next BMW to be, you should ask a major dealer in a city close to you what the top 4 selling colours are in descending order of popularity and pick one of those. I think colour will be the first "option" someone will look at when shopping for a car.

I saw a picture of an M5 in "Sakhir Orange" somewhere. It looks hot, but I'm sure most people will tire of it after a short while and when it comes time to sell, the owner will get hammered on the trade value.
      11-12-2013, 10:40 AM   #30
R N M
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
The fact we cant get a medium blue car with Msport pack or a Red color is idiotic.

Whats the point of Jet Black, Carbon Black, black sapphire, imperial blue - 4 colors that cant be told apart unless car is clean and its sunny.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 10:41 AM   #31
SomeRandomer123
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Luxury - Sport Auto

I bet the 5er could actually pull off Atacama Yellow in M Sport guise... With the 19"ers

Gone: 2006 BMW E60 520d SE 6MT
Gone: 2009 BMW E90-LCI 330d SE 6MT
Current: 2012 F30 328i Luxury 8AT
On Order: 2015 Audi A6 Avant Ultra, Black Edition (sorry!)
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 10:43 AM   #32
R N M
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Btw to all the ppl saying well look at the sale #s.....who cares???
90% of the ppl that buy the 5 just go and get any car off the lot and only buy it bec of the badge.
No excuse for not offering brighter colors.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 11:35 AM   #33
Diesel_Lover
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover432 View Post
As others have written, you can get whatever colour you want if you special order it. As for the stock colours, they have what sells to the masses, not what a few "enthusiasts" here (including me) would put on their car if there was a wider pallet.

Given that you are very concerned about option cost and retained value, regardless of what colour you'd really like your next BMW to be, you should ask a major dealer in a city close to you what the top 4 selling colours are in descending order of popularity and pick one of those. I think colour will be the first "option" someone will look at when shopping for a car.

I saw a picture of an M5 in "Sakhir Orange" somewhere. It looks hot, but I'm sure most people will tire of it after a short while and when it comes time to sell, the owner will get hammered on the trade value.
As far as getting any color BMW you like. That is like saying we have the best education system in the world in the U.S. Both statements are true, but only if you can afford them.

On the point of most popular colors, Dealers are the ones that order most of the cars sold, and they tend to be conservative in ordering. I live in a small town, and they don't order diesels here very often. To test drive a diesel, I had to drive four hours away, and the same to see any colors other than black or grey. Consequently they don't sell many diesels nor cars that are not grey or black.

Also, as far as resale, it is better to have an appealing color that is different. I'm not talking about Liberace Green or Bird Cage Yellow. I am just talking about a basic non-metallic red, yellow or green.

Skittles aren't black, white, silver, grey, and brown because they wouldn't sell. Shouldn't BMW pick up on this. Lighten up BMW! your cars are the best in the world, and I'll buy them even if they are Henry Fords favorite color, but bring some color to the folks trying to make it into the mid-level luxury car market.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 11:47 AM   #34
Cairo Kid
Private First Class
Qatar
Rep

Quote:
I think if you are buying a BMW then you are not poor either

I absolutely hear you that you want to get the best car you can. Since color is clearly as important to you as the car, have you considered other options such as wrapping?

This is a pretty extreme green, but whatever dude.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 01:10 PM   #35
Diesel_Lover
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I didn't say I was poor, but I am not rich. I live on a fixed income, and have to purchase my car from savings, and can only afford to buy good value. I want an economy car with cargo room, and great resale value that's fun to drive. I think BMW delivers on this very well, except for some unfortunate marketing decisions I have addressed in a recently added thread.

Color is not the most important thing to me. If they only offered this car in black I would still buy the 535dx. However, I still want it in a brighter color like non-metallic red, and I think a lot of other people would too.

Yeah, that green is a little to loud for me.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 02:13 PM   #36
Grover432
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cairo Kid View Post
I think if you are buying a BMW then you are not poor either

I absolutely hear you that you want to get the best car you can. Since color is clearly as important to you as the car, have you considered other options such as wrapping?

This is a pretty extreme green, but whatever dude.
There are allot of people driving BMWs who are "poor" (or are in serious debt) but as long as they can make the lease payment ...
      11-12-2013, 02:23 PM   #37
Grover432
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
As far as getting any color BMW you like. That is like saying we have the best education system in the world in the U.S. Both statements are true, but only if you can afford them.

On the point of most popular colors, Dealers are the ones that order most of the cars sold, and they tend to be conservative in ordering. I live in a small town, and they don't order diesels here very often. To test drive a diesel, I had to drive four hours away, and the same to see any colors other than black or grey. Consequently they don't sell many diesels nor cars that are not grey or black.

Also, as far as resale, it is better to have an appealing color that is different. I'm not talking about Liberace Green or Bird Cage Yellow. I am just talking about a basic non-metallic red, yellow or green.

Skittles aren't black, white, silver, grey, and brown because they wouldn't sell. Shouldn't BMW pick up on this. Lighten up BMW! your cars are the best in the world, and I'll buy them even if they are Henry Fords favorite color, but bring some color to the folks trying to make it into the mid-level luxury car market.
I live in a town of 750,000 and the dealer doesn't have M models on display either - they are almost always a customer order.

I've tried to be helpful responding to your posts in your quest to get the right car with the best resale on what you say is a limited budget, but I'm not sure I am helping you.

You seem to know quite a bit more than me (and possibly BMW) about what will sell and what options will retain value. Maybe you are right. But if I had to invest my money in the car business, I'd rather invest it with BMW than with you. You may not like what colours they produce and you may not like what your dealer brings in, but your dealer (and BMW) knows what will sell.

If you are buying a car to keep for a long time and don't care what it will sell for when you are done with it, you should pick exactly what you want. If you are sensitive to what the car's depreciation will be, you should stick to what the dealer says is popular even though you may find it boring, otherwise you may have trouble getting rid of it.

As to the issue of depreciation - all cars depreciate at a ridiculous rate, but we had a Honda that beat its lease residual so that is always an option.
      11-12-2013, 03:10 PM   #38
Diesel_Lover
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I live in a town of 750,000 and the dealer doesn't have M models on display either - they are almost always a customer order.

I've tried to be helpful responding to your posts in your quest to get the right car with the best resale on what you say is a limited budget, but I'm not sure I am helping you.

You seem to know quite a bit more than me (and possibly BMW) about what will sell and what options will retain value. Maybe you are right. But if I had to invest my money in the car business, I'd rather invest it with BMW than with you. You may not like what colours they produce and you may not like what your dealer brings in, but your dealer (and BMW) knows what will sell.

If you are buying a car to keep for a long time and don't care what it will sell for when you are done with it, you should pick exactly what you want. If you are sensitive to what the car's depreciation will be, you should stick to what the dealer says is popular even though you may find it boring, otherwise you may have trouble getting rid of it.

As to the issue of depreciation - all cars depreciate at a ridiculous rate, but we had a Honda that beat its lease residual so that is always an option.
Look, All I am asking for is a few bright colors for those of us that want them. I am sure that there are lots of people who would buy a non-metallic red, especially if it was the same price as the other non-metallic non-colors. I don't think black or white are actually considered colors.

I already know, that buying no options is the best way to retain value.

I came here to ask guys who drive these cars what their favorite options are. I think I got my answers to that question.

I am now just trying to find out price and available colors. I didn't know you could order custom colors other than what are on the website. until, I started this thread, and saw the pictures.

I still don't know how to get them ordered, and what they cost except for a few $5,000 examples. Since, my dealer doesn't know. I thought some of you guys who bought them could tell me.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 03:38 PM   #39
EmArAsOnS
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: LCI F11 MSport Xdrive (I.Blue)

Garage List
Unhappy

Wish to see those colors....(what a shame bmw decided to drop the M touring)

Source:http://www.benz**********/content.ph...-touring-wagon

Last edited by EmArAsOnS; 11-12-2013 at 03:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 04:16 PM   #40
Diesel_Lover
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Yeah, the 535d Touring is my dream car. That is the car I really want.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 06:31 PM   #41
Grover432
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Look, All I am asking for is a few bright colors for those of us that want them. I am sure that there are lots of people who would buy a non-metallic red, especially if it was the same price as the other non-metallic non-colors. I don't think black or white are actually considered colors.

I already know, that buying no options is the best way to retain value.

I came here to ask guys who drive these cars what their favorite options are. I think I got my answers to that question.

I am now just trying to find out price and available colors. I didn't know you could order custom colors other than what are on the website. until, I started this thread, and saw the pictures.

I still don't know how to get them ordered, and what they cost except for a few $5,000 examples. Since, my dealer doesn't know. I thought some of you guys who bought them could tell me.
It is called BMW Exclusive
      11-12-2013, 06:47 PM   #42
Diesel_Lover
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It is called BMW Exclusive
Do only certain dealers have the ability to do "Exclusive"?

Because my dealer had no idea what I was talking about.

Thanks

How are the paints priced?
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 07:41 PM   #43
raleedy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i 6-speed

Quote:
There are allot of people driving BMWs who are "poor" (or are in serious debt) but as long as they can make the lease payment ...
What's with all this insecurity?
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 10:07 PM   #44
Cairo Kid
Private First Class
Qatar
Rep

Quote:
Dude!! I think what you're asking for is bright colors for those who don't want to pay anything extra That's not going to happen!

I also understand you don't think much of the BMW black and white colours, but perhaps you should take a closer look at them. They are multi-layered with a lot of depth and hints of other colour. You might not like them, but many do.

Good luck in your quest.
Appreciate 0