2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK When to sell and what price

12-19-2013, 02:06 PM   #1
ECBMW
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Metallic Grey M Sport

When to sell and what price

I purchased a F10 M Sport 2.0 in Oct 2011 with around 22k on the clock. Theres around 6 mths remaining on the warranty and wondered if its worth exchanging for a new facelift one.

The new ones do look nice but im unsure if its really worth exchanging for an ex demo 63 plate M Sport 2.0D. It seems the cost of change is around £13k which seems excessive (to me anyway) but should i wait closer to the end of the warranty period (otherwise some fear about no warranty and perhaps the price of the car would depreciate faster) and what kind of price would be reasonable to exchange?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2013, 05:43 PM   #2
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

How many miles have you driven since purchase? That would influence any decision I make.

Also what about extending the warranty and running it longer? Typically cheaper than the cost of change, to stay within the magical 3-years.

I run my BMWs into the extended warranty period, to get the best value out of the car.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2013, 12:57 AM   #3
ECBMW
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Metallic Grey M Sport

22k so far on the clock.

I could look into extending the warranty but how much does extending the warranty cost?

What would be a decent cost of change,lets say today be and in about two years assuming warranty is extended for two years (approx value to give me an idea)?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2013, 03:40 AM   #4
xs2man
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 F11 530d M-Sport

Depends on the level of cover, and excess you want with your extended warranty. I extended the cover on my 335d to the comprehensive cover but with a £250 excess. This cost me around £250 for the year. If I had no excess, it would have been around £500 for the year.

So if you consider around £250 per year it only costs around £500 to extend for the 2 years. For me, it was a gamble on the £250 excess, but then anything small needing done I could live with until something bigger came along and could claim for it all together.

In the end though, 6 months later I changed it for the 530d anyway. And used the warranty cost to help justify the change. But the real justification for me was the bigger space. I don't think I would have been able to justify the change on a like for like basis. That said, overall, after the warranty and other calculations were made, it only costs me around £600 per year to change + my small deposit, so it wasn't as if it were £13k.

But then I do buy on PCP, so it was just the difference in monthly payments, minus warranty costs, minus deposit. And doesn't include the difference in baloon payment as I am unlikely to keep it that far.

Appreciate 0
      12-20-2013, 08:43 AM   #5
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECBMW View Post
22k so far on the clock.

I could look into extending the warranty but how much does extending the warranty cost?

What would be a decent cost of change,lets say today be and in about two years assuming warranty is extended for two years (approx value to give me an idea)?

Thanks
So you have very low mileage, at 22k miles, which does make the cost of change look high for the mileage. Not had the value out of the car, as I see it.

Extending ownership with an extended warranty will be cheaper than buying again, as years 4 & 5 are typically lower depreciation than the first 3 years.

But look at it this way, a PCP or lease of say £550 a month is around £13k over 2-years, so you are in no different a position than guys like xs2man for costs over the term. There is very little in it, if we buy or lease, when we do the math. We all have to pay the depreciation for the period, one way or another.

The other factor is how much money you have tied up in the car, do you still owe on it? That can influence how and when you want to move on. But that is more your personal circumstances, than the cost to change.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0