2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding USB Audio - June2010 525d

11-25-2012, 01:53 PM   #1
gkerr4
Rep
Drives: E91 325d M-Sport

USB Audio - June2010 525d

Hi folks - sorry, i have searched but still don't seem to find a definitive answer to my question on iPod integration.

I have bought a used 525dSE F10 saloon which was registered in June 2010 so one of the first. It has USB Audio interface which I understand will allow me to use my ipod and control through the idrive and steering wheels (it just has the small screen idrive - no nav or media package).

my question is - do i actually need the BMW y-cable or can it work using the regular white apple cable?

I have a handfull of different apple device - an old ipod mini which I don't expect to work, an ipod classic which is a couple of years old and I am hoping to use and a first gen iphone. I use an iphone5 as my phone, but expect to use it simply as a phone on the bluetooth connection.

Any definitive answer on this or do i just need to wait and see (i pick it up on friday!)

thanks in advance
g
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 02:10 PM   #2
73henny
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: a lovely new G20 320dx

I have an iphone 4 that works fine with just the standard white apple USB lead. I have full control with album art displayed. No need for the Y cable.
My car is '12 with pro nav but I don't think that makes any difference to the USB audio.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 03:57 PM   #3
gkerr4
Rep

thanks - i understand that on the 2010 models there was a change in spec for the september onwards cars - but there are varying reports on the pre-sept models as to whether they need the 'y' cable or not.

thanks again
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 02:49 PM   #4
gkerr4
Rep

ok so... picked the car up today! - its awesome! love it. Just 15,000 miles on it so it feels brand new!

Ipod didn't go so well though - i managed to persuade the dealer to throw in the 'y' cable - but none of my iPods (ancient mini, 60Gb classic or even 2012 iPod touch) will connect. Nor do the first gen iphone or an iphone 3gs (my new iphone5 uses a different connector)

When you plug them in the "external devices" bit says "reading" for a few seconds, and then it just says "not supported". dead annoying!

any ideas?

The USB port works as it will read a USB memory stick with some folders and songs in, but nothing on the ipod front. I really want this to work - i love listening to audiobooks on the move with my ipod / iPhone
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 03:27 PM   #5
gkerr4
Rep

oh - fixed this!

it turns out, if you are a mac user and your ipod is formatted in MAC OSX Journalled format, then it won't work!

you need to reformat the ipod with a windows device to get the ipod into FAT32 format and then it work straight away!
Appreciate 0