2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Bubble on Conventional (Non-Runflat) Tires?

11-24-2015, 12:07 PM   #1
dbs600
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 750LXi Individual

Bubble on Conventional (Non-Runflat) Tires?

Anyone with 20" wheels with conventional, non-runflat tires ever experience bubbles?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2015, 01:43 PM   #2
vladberca
Major General
Romania
Rep
Drives: '18 octavia 2.0 tdi dsg

If you hit a pothole the probability of having a bubble in the sidewall is quite high.
You can have the sidewall cut if the speed is high.
You'd better have an assurance for the wheels!
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2015, 04:07 PM   #3
pdrf10
A Man of Wisdumb...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 F10 550i M Sport

I upgraded to 20" wheels a couple of years back, and transitioned from runflats to Pirelli PZero's back in September. Have been loving the new rubber ever since! Yet, last week, I hit a nasty pothole and it immediately deflated my right-front tire (along the sidewall right under the alloy wheel's outer rim) and put a nice bubble on my right-rear tire (high along the sidewall near the tread).

Both were replaced to the tune of $757, and I've subsequently filed a claim with the local municipality that failed to properly maintain their roads. What concerns me from this point forward is that fact that the softer and more compliant/responsive non-runflats aren't as durable (translation: stiffer) when it comes to road hazards, as I know for a fact that I've hit some pretty gnarly potholes here in the Los Angeles area before the tire change that were much bigger and the dreaded runflats handled them without issue.

I guess that's the tradeoff of having a stiffer sidewall (and less performance-oriented) tire vs. an "ultra-high performance" rated tire in the form of PZero's...

As a sidenote, I called BMW Assist for a flatbed tow, and was informed that they'd only tow my ride to a BMW dealer for runflat replacement. If I wanted to tow my ride to an independent tire shop, I was quoted $170 for this pleasure via BMW Assist. I ended up getting a flatbed via my AAA membership (gratis). Something to consider for those that switch out of BMW recommended RFT's and how it impacts the disabled vehicle status (as a result of a flat tire) when relying on BMW Assist for roadside assistance.

Last edited by pdrf10; 11-24-2015 at 04:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2015, 06:34 PM   #4
bake
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 F10, 2013 E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbs600
Anyone with 20" wheels with conventional, non-runflat tires ever experience bubbles?

Thanks.
Yes I have experienced this way too often. As a result I always purchase the insurance on my tires (via Discount Tire Direct or TireRack) and it pays for itself with just one tire replacement. Since a bubble on the sidewall is not repairable they usually send me a new tire, no questions asked (actually just a few) at a prorated price and you just need to purchase insurance on the new tire. The insurance on a 20" tire is something like $22, so well worth the money. I have had at least 7 or 8 tires replaced over the last 5 or 6 years on my various vehicles. NYC roads are the absolute worst after a harsh winter.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2015, 11:57 PM   #5
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Thank you everyone.

I asked because I never got bubbled before runflats.

Always thought runflats were more prone to bubbling due to stiffer sidewalls (less give)...?
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2015, 01:19 PM   #6
EL Jeffe 5
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: CBR1000RR

Did you hear back form Local Municipality?
I think it would be interesting to see what bulls#it excuse they have.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2015, 10:08 AM   #7
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbs600 View Post
Thank you everyone.

I asked because I never got bubbled before runflats.

Always thought runflats were more prone to bubbling due to stiffer sidewalls (less give)...?
Before I started using runflats, the tires just goes flat and sometimes mess up my rims depending on how fast it deflates. I do see that runflats tend to be easier to bubble. I think it's a good tradeoff. If you've ever had a flat during heavy traffic on the driver side, it's a PITA and relatively unsafe to put your donut on. Getting your car towed can take hours sometimes. You'll miss work, appointments, meetings, etc... With runflats, I can just keep moving, drop my car off the next day in the morning and receive a loaner in 10 minutes. My day isn't interrupted.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2015, 10:26 AM   #8
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 493263 View Post
Before I started using runflats, the tires just goes flat and sometimes mess up my rims depending on how fast it deflates. I do see that runflats tend to be easier to bubble. I think it's a good tradeoff. If you've ever had a flat during heavy traffic on the driver side, it's a PITA and relatively unsafe to put your donut on. Getting your car towed can take hours sometimes. You'll miss work, appointments, meetings, etc... With runflats, I can just keep moving, drop my car off the next day in the morning and receive a loaner in 10 minutes. My day isn't interrupted.
True. Thanks.

I've only ever had one flat on a non-run flat many years ago on a Range Rover when I parked in an overflow parking lot next to a restaurant at night during a party; not fun changing a large wheel in nice clothing in minimal light, but run flats are just too expensive and prone to failure. I get so many bubbles that the time spent going to and from the dealer is a huge headache. The stiff sidewall also transfers impact to the wheels and easily bends same. Wish our cars had integrated space for a spare.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2015, 10:57 AM   #9
Trian
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 535i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 493263 View Post
With runflats, I can just keep moving, drop my car off the next day in the morning and receive a loaner in 10 minutes. My day isn't interrupted.
That is why my wife's car has runflats as she mostly uses her car for work commutes.

But I changed my car to non runflats because flats do not always occur within 50 miles of a company that has that runflat in stock or may not even be open that day.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2015, 12:26 PM   #10
bake
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 F10, 2013 E93

Consider yourself lucky. With our crappy NYC roads, I am prone to at least one per winter. Was even worse on my previous cars because I was running even thinner tires. Hoping for better luck this winter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbs600 View Post
True. Thanks.

I've only ever had one flat on a non-run flat many years ago on a Range Rover when I parked in an overflow parking lot next to a restaurant at night during a party; not fun changing a large wheel in nice clothing in minimal light, but run flats are just too expensive and prone to failure. I get so many bubbles that the time spent going to and from the dealer is a huge headache. The stiff sidewall also transfers impact to the wheels and easily bends same. Wish our cars had integrated space for a spare.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2015, 02:08 PM   #11
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bake View Post
Consider yourself lucky. With our crappy NYC roads, I am prone to at least one per winter. Was even worse on my previous cars because I was running even thinner tires. Hoping for better luck this winter.
True; thanks, but that was with larger non-run flats.

New territory ahead with low-profile non-run flats I suppose! Eek!

We'll see.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0