2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications M5 Muffler Route (Need Tips and Advise)

06-03-2016, 08:05 PM   #1
Highpriest0303
Private
Rep
Drives: Porsche 918 Cayman S

M5 Muffler Route (Need Tips and Advise)

Hello All,

I am considering of purchasing a used M5 mufflers but have no clue on a couple of things:

1)How do you keep the other exhaust open? or just leave it as is and it will open or close or doesn't really matter?

2) Hooks or Bracket on the M5 Mufflers for 535, does it require some adjustment on bracket or manipulations to make it align depending on the type of diffuser?

3)Does it have any drone?

All i know so far is that that M5 have a bigger diameter vs 535.

If this path will cost me more money and time trying to get it to work near perfect, what other avenue do i have to a more straight forward installation that will not break my bank.

My main objective for upgrading to Quad set up is to have a more aggressive rear look and a little deeper sounds but not to gain more HP.

I have read many threads on this forum trying to gain ideas but so far they are bits and pieces.

Thanks to all in advance!
Appreciate 1
      06-04-2016, 01:36 AM   #2
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

1)How do you keep the other exhaust open? or just leave it as is and it will open or close or doesn't really matter?

since you don't have EVC you will not be able to open and close the valves. i believe there is a DIY mod to keep them (valves) open. they are probably closed since it only opens when you go full throttle

2) Hooks or Bracket on the M5 Mufflers for 535, does it require some adjustment on bracket or manipulations to make it align depending on the type of diffuser?

there will be minor adjustments to accomodate the M5 exhaust. it's not the hangers but more the pipe itself as the M5 sits more inward and our 535 sits more outward...however, if you have the base model rear bumper you will either need to cut the diffuser to accomodate the quad tips or if you have the Msport bumper you need to swap the diffuser for a quad diffuser

EDIT: i just saw that you have the MSPORT so you will need to decide what diffuser you want to go with.

3)Does it have any drone?

from previous swaps no...but everyone has different ideas of what drone is?

All i know so far is that that M5 have a bigger diameter vs 535.

the 535 is a single tip vs the M5 is a quad tip so yes

If this path will cost me more money and time trying to get it to work near perfect, what other avenue do i have to a more straight forward installation that will not break my bank.

yes, it will cost money to make this work so really it all depends on how much you think is too much?

My main objective for upgrading to Quad set up is to have a more aggressive rear look and a little deeper sounds but not to gain more HP.

it cost to floss...ballpark figure you're looking at like $100 bucks tops for a muffler shop to cut your OEM exhaust off and weld the M5's on...another $100-500 for the diffuser as there's different makes and models as well as carbon fiber

here's an example of mine...Meisterschaft exhaust 3.5" quad tips with a carbon fiber M5 DTM diffuser for an Msport bumper. when my shop installs the exhaust i will already have the bumper installed with the carbon diffuser and the muffler shop will cut my OEM mufflers and weld in the Meisterschaft's by lining up the tips centered in between the opening of the diffuser while pertruding just about an inch or 1 1/2" past the diffuser if you're looking downward like the 2nd picture. because the diffuser is for an M5 the muffler shop will have to move the exhaust more inward vs outward. since the Meister's are EVC i will have to run the wireless module inside the trunk but i will be able to open and close with a remote.

~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg

Last edited by lsturbointeg; 06-04-2016 at 01:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2016, 09:51 PM   #3
Highpriest0303
Private
Rep

Thank you for a very detailed answers. Appreciate it.

Best Regards,
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2016, 10:21 PM   #4
gabypr
First Lieutenant
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 2015 F10 535i

Garage List
A few weeks ago I installed the M6 competition package mufflers with black tips and I simply love the sound. Its not too strong neighter too low. Its just right. It doesnt drone. You should get a quad tip diffuser such as the m performance or a third party carbon fiber one. Both will change drastically how your car looks.

Regarding the mufflers the hangers aligned basically with the ones my car had. The muffler shop just had to acomodate the mufflers a little bit to push them where they should. I left the valves open with a single welding point.

Good luck.

Pics

CQuartz UK 3 Ceramic Coating | GeoShield Pronano 50% Ceramic Window Film | M5 M Perf Steering Wheel | M6 Comp Pkg Mufflers | M Perf Floor Mats | CF Spoiler | RW CF Quad Setup Diffuser | RW CF Front Lip | CF Trim | BMW Interior Leds | M5 343 Wheels | Pure Stg 2 Turbo
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2016, 05:40 PM   #5
Highpriest0303
Private
Rep

Gabypr

Can you PM where you got your Carbon Fiber diffuser? also, how is the fitting of the diffuser?

I will most likely buy an M5 Muffler (axleback) and install a carbon fiber diffuser.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2016, 01:57 PM   #6
ndinh
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 640i GC, X5

As mentioned above, you shouldn't have a problem with a axle-back install. Any muffler can chop off your existing one and weld on the M5 one, no problem. The pipe diameter is different so they'll have to weld on an adapter. Not sure about the hangers but they can also cut the existing hangers and weld new ones on. Install should be around $100-$150 depending on the shop. You can get a carbon diffuser (V style, rep) on ebay for less than $300 shipped.
Appreciate 0