2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics DIY Guides & Discussions DIY: N63/N63TU High Flow Performance Panel Air Filters

12-05-2017, 03:16 PM   #23
535_BiTurbo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 550I - BMS Stg 1 & CAI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple3 View Post
Dinan uses those dinky filters and you drill into the stock airbox. Dinan also relies on the stock filters. You yourself said on CReynolds setup your car is breathing better and deeper because the piping is wider and the filters behind the grill are drawing in more air. More airflow means less restricted overall.

I just don't like the idea of the filters going out begins the grills without something between the filters and the MAF sensors. I picked the thinnest and less restrictive foam to use on my filters.

In the end you're getting an intake for sound. I've heard/seen the Dinans in person and they are NOT worth the $2800 they are asking for on their website. Engine eye candy? Very much so.
I removed my factory paper intake filters. Im only running the 2 filers in the grill.

The stock piping is more rectangular and the piping CReynolds and I used is cylindrical, it seems as though they may be the same volumetrical because they are similar in size, but I think the "cylindrical" design is better for creating a faster intake air velocity.

The dual cones in the grill is the same concept as the dual cone N54 setup just with longer intake piping, and instead of under the hood air, it's getting fresh air.

Last edited by 535_BiTurbo; 12-05-2017 at 03:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2017, 02:33 AM   #24
Creynolds
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 550i

I honestly can't even describe how cool this debate is. I mean reality is we owe badblack a lot of credit. Also we are taking engineering from other companies and trying to find cheaper ways to do it. That's a pretty American thing in itself and cool as hell at the debate on what works better.

I must say I feel like an asshole from my initial reaction to someone using my take on the design.
Because I genuinely wanted to be able to have mods done and simply couldn't afford them. I know that feeling and wouldn't want other members to feel that way. So if any of my trials and tribulations or mistakes help. Then he'll ya
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2017, 02:47 AM   #25
Simple5
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creynolds View Post
I honestly can't even describe how cool this debate is. I mean reality is we owe badblack a lot of credit. Also we are taking engineering from other companies and trying to find cheaper ways to do it. That's a pretty American thing in itself and cool as hell at the debate on what works better.

I must say I feel like an asshole from my initial reaction to someone using my take on the design.
Because I genuinely wanted to be able to have mods done and simply couldn't afford them. I know that feeling and wouldn't want other members to feel that way. So if any of my trials and tribulations or mistakes help. Then he'll ya
Badblack is a true pioneer of the n63 when it comes to performance air induction. Being DIY folks we just find an easier and cheaper way of doing things. Would I love to have a Badblack CF intake? Hell yes, but paying over 1k for an intake for a non-m car? The money just does not add up for me.

You did an awesome job on your intake Chuck! I gotta test my filters for another week or so and then I will add your setup coupled to my foam filters. So far so good!
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2017, 02:50 AM   #26
Creynolds
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Badblack is a true pioneer of the n63 when it comes to performance air induction. Being DIY folks we just find an easier and cheaper way of doing things. Would I love to have a Badblack CF intake? Hell yes, but paying over 1k for an intake for a non-m car? The money just does not add up for me.

You did an awesome job on your intake Chuck! I gotta test my filters for another week or so and then I will add your setup coupled to my foam filters. So far so good!
Quote:
Quote:

Do you or anyone on here have a source we could use to make us a small section pipe with maf sensor hole built in and we could purchase.
That would eliminate the need for the airbox and create the true sound potential we're looking for
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2017, 04:24 PM   #27
535_BiTurbo
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Any updates....
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2017, 02:22 AM   #28
Simple5
Major
Rep

I've gone on a couple of small road trips and altogether since installing these filters I've put about 400+ miles total on them. I've taken them out of the box and checked the integrity and they are perfect.

I plan on doing the CReynolds setup this weekend. I think I'm going to get a nice grunt out of these.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2017, 12:09 AM   #29
Creynolds
Banned
United_States
Rep

?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2018, 04:44 PM   #30
535_BiTurbo
Captain
United_States
Rep

No updates?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 09:32 PM   #31
Simple5
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 535_BiTurbo View Post
No updates?
Nothing really new to report. The filters are running flawlessly. I have just been so busy lately over the holidays and with work. I will report back when I get the CReynolds mod done. Hopefully this weekend if everything goes according to plan.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2018, 10:43 PM   #32
Creynolds
Banned
United_States
Rep

I can’t say I have been able to update on my welds either. 7 flat tires in two months and needing new rims n tires and now ugly wheel gap on my front is killing me
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2020, 12:26 PM   #33
Ben Richards
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F10 550i xDrive

Resurrection

**Edit: I checked (should have done that before), we can remove the MAF housing from the air box and potentially install in Craig's 3D-printed inlet tubes. I reached out to him, will let you know if I hear back.**

Hey guys, I'm a new 2016 550i xDrive owner interested in a DIY cold air intake system. There is a ton of amazing info out there on this subject, but the threads I've found seem to die off after some motivated, smart guys run into various obstacles (lack of time and expenditure of money are two big ones).

However, all hope is not lost. Here's a quick rundown of what I've found:

1) A dude named Mike who runs the SPLITT MODS channel on YouTube posted a DIY instructional video here detailing the installation of exactly the kind of system I'm talking about on his 2016 550i (N63TU engine). The one big caveat is that he has a Burger Tuning JB4 installed which allowed (actually, forced him) to unplug the mass air flow (MAF) sensors.

That is nice if you have no need for MAF sensors, but otherwise, what we need is a piece of pipe or tubing or hose or whatever with a MAF-sized opening that will accept the MAF sensors. We can use this piece of pipe to build our intake. Earlier in this thread, Creynolds correctly noted the need for just such a thing. Which leads me to this...

2) A dude going by Craig Rezac posted a video on YouTube here showing what I think is a 3D printed piece of pipe that accepts a MAF housing. Check it out at 4:30 in the video.

It looks like this accepts a detachable MAF housing, which obviously is not the actual MAF sensor. I think the MAF "housing" on the N63TU is integral to the filter box, whereas maybe Craig's working on an N63 where you can actually detach the housing (I'm guessing at this - I truly don't know)?

All that to say - does anyone know where I/we could pick up a similar piece of pipe for the N63TU like the 3D printed one Craig shows in his video?

BR

Lost love: 2011 Space Gray E92 335i

Last edited by Ben Richards; 08-23-2020 at 04:48 PM.. Reason: Accuracy
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2020, 07:59 PM   #34
Ben Richards
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I have messages out to Heatsync Performance Euro, Performance MRP, and Spectre Performance. I've also read that someone simply cut a hole in their intake's silicon tubing to accommodate the MAF sensors and that the Chevy Cruze MAF sensor housing on Walmart.com would fit perfectly.

BR

Appreciate 0
      09-12-2020, 02:10 PM   #35
Ben Richards
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

At the risk of appearing to be talking to myself (okay, I'm talking to myself), here's an update:

I bought two 3" diameter, 4 3/4" long sections of intake piping in aluminum alloy from Amazon.com https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1. They're advertised for the Chevy Cruze / Opel Vauxhall and feature the MAF sensor mount/flange.

They fit the MAF sensor for my N63TU !

BR
Attached Images

Appreciate 0