2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK 3 features I really find useful in my car

10-01-2014, 05:54 AM   #1
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

3 features I really find useful in my car

Had a thought about features that I really find useful and enjoyable to use on my car. Whilst driving the other day, I thought I would really miss these features.

Head up display. Much has been spoken about this in these forums, but its one of those features that once you've experienced, you think - "why don't all cars have this?"

Active cruise control. This makes driving around the M25 so much less stressful. It really works and other the odd occasion when someone cuts you up, it really can be left to its own devices. Cars cutting you up might mean your car slows dramatically to keep the required distance.

Real Time Traffic Information. This has saved me hours of time . I can see where the traffic is bad and with the sat nav 'engaged' even on a route that I know, it directs me round it. I rarely get caught in bad traffic now as a result. This really is a time saver. Once my 3 years are up, I will renew the subscription on this . TMC whilst a benefit, pales in comparison to this.

I would urge those of considering buying a F10 to consider these, I know they are not cheap, but worth every penny in my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2014, 08:32 AM   #2
Pottsy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10 535d MSport

I have yet to get my car, but...

HUD - specified for the reasons you mentioned.
RTTI - specified, but I'm a bit nervous that it won't be as good as Tomtom HD traffic on my smartphone - and it is completely missing speed camera info. Do you just do without speed camera warnings?
ACC - not specified. Had it before, and found that with it I am only as good as the driver in front. If he can not anticipate, then neither do I. Without it I can anticipate much better and provide a smoother drive.

For me, on any car, it has to include keyless opening and dimming mirrors.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2014, 10:45 AM   #3
remmib
General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport

If there only were some way to get the HUD more visible when driving with polarized sunglasses.

F10 520d M-Sport Alpine White | HRE P43SC 20x9+20x11 | Michelin PSS 255/35+295/30 | KW V3 Coilover | M5 Front Sway Bar + M550d Rear Sway Bar | 3DDesign Front Lip | BMW M Performance CF Spoiler | BMW M Performance Diffuser | BMW M Performance Black Grills | BMW M Performance Pedals |
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2014, 12:33 PM   #4
Bobby_Drake
Major
Rep
Drives: '16 X5M

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by remmib View Post
If there only were some way to get the HUD more visible when driving with polarized sunglasses.
+1.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2014, 02:57 PM   #5
AP
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pottsy View Post
I have yet to get my car, but...

HUD - specified for the reasons you mentioned.
RTTI - specified, but I'm a bit nervous that it won't be as good as Tomtom HD traffic on my smartphone - and it is completely missing speed camera info. Do you just do without speed camera warnings?
ACC - not specified. Had it before, and found that with it I am only as good as the driver in front. If he can not anticipate, then neither do I. Without it I can anticipate much better and provide a smoother drive.

For me, on any car, it has to include keyless opening and dimming mirrors.
I've never owned a TomTom or any other portable satnav so not qualified to comment with a comparison, but I do feel the RTTI is very good. I believe it updates every 3 minutes and the resolution is quite incredible. Having never had warnings about speed cameras, I don't miss that function although I do have speed limit display which I guess goes some way as compensation.
the other benefit is of course that's its all built in, no suction cups and wires around. A big plus in my book.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2014, 03:24 PM   #6
wicked5
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 520d SE

Another good feature what I found a couple of days ago. If you have a manual car, instead of riding the clutch while going up a hill, if you slowly take ur foot off the clutch the car will cruise at 2mph or so with no feet on any pedals.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2014, 04:29 PM   #7
Pottsy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10 535d MSport

AP,

RTTI and Tomtom almost certainly use the same traffic data (from Vodaphone). Tomtom quotes an update time of 2 minutes - so similar. Where Tomtom excels is combining their HD traffic with the data on actual times it takes actual drivers to go down every road on a normal day (IQ routes). The re-route is only offered if the IQ route data shows the re-route is quicker. Brilliant system and (IMO) worth the air-vent mount and concealed wire.

Speed camera warnings are useful to me - just added peace of mind. Especially when the overhead gantries on the motorway are set to a ridiculous 40 mph 3 miles before a lane closure at 3 in the morning with only you on the road.

I just have a horrible feeling I have spent a fortune on pro nav, and will still get better info out of a £30 app on my Nexus 5!
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2014, 05:10 PM   #8
GMTRB5
Private
Rep
Drives: 535d M Sport

I agree, while the RTTI is good on the pro nav, I still find the sat nav doesn't make the most sensible choice! eg on the way to work it comes up with a 10 minute delay on my journey .. I know there is a road I always take to avoid this section of the road, and it is what tomtom routes me down .. the minute I go down it the BMW sat nav takes 10 minutes off my arrival time, but never routes me that way .. seems to only want to use main roads even if it means sitting in a big traffic jam!

Nothing so far has beaten my tomtom app on my iPhone with HD traffic subscription .. would never be without that even with the latest BMW sat nav with RTTI etc...!
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2014, 12:15 AM   #9
AP
Major General
Rep

There is an option to choose the route criteria (I think its called) so there is ecopro, fastest and shortest , I think are the 3 options. Might be worth looking at that?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2014, 05:09 PM   #10
GMTRB5
Private
Rep
Drives: 535d M Sport

Yep mine is set to fastest, so should select that road, but even when I select other route criteria it doesn't select either, so not sure whether it thinks that road doesn't join the main road or something, but as soon as I'm on it it routes me fine
Appreciate 0