2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Windshield replacement - HUD different?

08-18-2022, 04:39 PM   #1
ps2cho
Rep
Drives: F10 535

Windshield replacement - HUD different?

Anybody know how I can confirm what windshield I have and get a correct part # to my VIN?

Unfortunately a rock has put a 2ft crack in it...needs to be replaced. Insurance should cover it, but I don't want them putting in the wrong one to save $. I'd like to be able to verify they order the correct Genuine BMW one that works correctly with my heads up display.

Anybody gone through this?
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2022, 07:03 PM   #2
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps2cho View Post
Anybody know how I can confirm what windshield I have and get a correct part # to my VIN?

Unfortunately a rock has put a 2ft crack in it...needs to be replaced. Insurance should cover it, but I don't want them putting in the wrong one to save $. I'd like to be able to verify they order the correct Genuine BMW one that works correctly with my heads up display.

Though I don't know the p/n, the HUD windshield IS different.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2022, 06:29 PM   #3
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:

Go to one of the online part database sites, enter your VIN, then go to the diagram for windshields (I believe its in group 51 & windshields are referred to as GLAZING)…then scroll down the list of part nbrs and select the part number based on what options you have.

You gave no model year info…so you’ll have to look up the info yourself in case there are differences between pre-LCI & LCI… or if there was a change during the production run from SOP (start of production) to EOP (end of production).

Again, you will see multiple #1 part nbrs…and you’ll need to select the part number based on how your BMW is optioned:

If you’re not familiar with any online part database sites…here’s two sites you should bookmark for future referfence:

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 08-19-2022 at 06:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2022, 11:03 AM   #4
ceka
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 530d 11'

realoem.com
get your vin, go to Vehicle Trim > Glazing

Head-up display code is S610A= Yes

on my car it shows this:
Note how the code "51317203153" repeats in different scenarios in my case.

Quote:

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-20-2022, 11:29 AM   #5
Pierre Louis
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 535d

My second recent BMW has HUD but also both came with what I see as very soft OEM glass causing lots of little pits I guess from little stones. After a rock hit my windshield causing a fair-sized crack, I was in the market for a replacement that was not OEM especially since the local dealer wanted the money up front and then I would need to negotiate with insurance.

Well after trying a local private glass shop with very poor service, I tried the local Safelite and they got it all right. The new glass seems a bit less "soft" but is not too different from OEM and works well with HUD and my original sensors.

My $0.02
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2022, 11:26 PM   #6
KillFox91
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X35i

I've had 3 BMW HUD windshields replaced with Safelite - they always get it right. Typically not replaced with BMW glass - but the hud operates perfect and the glass fits perfect too.
Appreciate 1
      08-23-2022, 12:28 PM   #7
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillFox91 View Post
I've had 3 BMW HUD windshields replaced with Safelite - they always get it right. Typically not replaced with BMW glass - but the hud operates perfect and the glass fits perfect too.
Any noticeable change in distortion or wavy-ness as you look across the glass towards the passenger? I've noticed that about cheaper or aftermarket glass compared to OE.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2022, 06:15 AM   #8
Pierre Louis
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 535d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surly73 View Post
Any noticeable change in distortion or wavy-ness as you look across the glass towards the passenger? I've noticed that about cheaper or aftermarket glass compared to OE.
The same companies that make OEM glass make replacement glass. Its not like most posters think when they say only use "OEM" glass.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2022, 09:22 AM   #9
ps2cho
Rep
Drives: F10 535

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Louis View Post
The same companies that make OEM glass make replacement glass. Its not like most posters think when they say only use "OEM" glass.
Its been proven time and time again that OEM is NOT always the same as factory OE. Even from the same manufacturer.

Some parts are, others are not. Its not a guarantee regardless of what the part suppliers want to keep repeating.

Im currently waiting for insurance to approve the OE glass for me, fingers crossed that wraps up soon.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2022, 11:18 PM   #10
KillFox91
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surly73 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillFox91 View Post
No change, no issues at all.

The only noticeable difference on some there is no window to see the vin on the outside of the vehicle.

Not always the case, but sometimes.
Appreciate 0