2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Traction/Power Sweet-Spot

09-04-2022, 07:38 AM   #1
Josh2011535ixdrive
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 535i XDrive

Garage List
Traction/Power Sweet-Spot

So I have been reading all I can on the forum in my spare time. There seems to be no end to what can be done with these cars (N54/N55), which leads me to the question, "where is the sweet-spot?" At some point hp/tq is of no further use other than to brag high numbers. There is only so much traction available.

It reminds me of the fox body mustangs in the late 80 and early 90's you could make a fast mustang (11 second car) relatively easy, then the next several thousand dollars just got you a car that would spin the tires more, but not turn in any quicker times.

Back in my high school days we had a pretty easy formula to get a Mustang or Camaro to this point. Is it the same with these cars? How do we maximize power/traction and keep the drivability of a "luxury sports sedan?"

From what I've read so far it looks like, coils/plugs, cold air, intercooler + chargepipe + downpipe, then a tune engine+trans. Possibly an upgrade for the LPFP. Then throw on some bigger tires front and back?

From here do we add power for the sake of adding power? I see videos on youtube of guys in awd cars having traction issues into 3rd gear...
Appreciate 0