2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum My 528i almost got me killed.

06-09-2013, 01:55 PM   #1
Gonzoballz
Rep
Drives: 2012 528i M Sport

My 528i almost got me killed.

Yesterday, I was turning left onto a highway and had to cross over the oncoming lane. When I saw an opportunity to turn I hit the gas and NOTHING happened. My car rolled into the lane and sat there for about a 4 second delay. I had the pedal to the floor. The same thing happened today in a parking lot. Both incidents happened within a minute of turning on the car. I seem to remember a thread about throttle delay. Any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2013, 03:35 PM   #2
slownfast
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 528i Xdrive

Woww, that was so late. I never had that throttle delay like that before. Luckily there were no big truck went through your way
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2013, 06:45 PM   #3
2k15f30
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i M Sport

Throttle delay is horrible on the 528i I got rid of mine because of it. 550i has zero delay.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2013, 06:57 PM   #4
RambleJ
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F10 535i M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzoballz View Post
Yesterday, I was turning left onto a highway and had to cross over the oncoming lane. When I saw an opportunity to turn I hit the gas and NOTHING happened. My car rolled into the lane and sat there for about a 4 second delay. I had the pedal to the floor. The same thing happened today in a parking lot. Both incidents happened within a minute of turning on the car. I seem to remember a thread about throttle delay. Any thoughts?
That is not throttle delay, the throttle delay that people are experiencing is very quick, like less than one second. I would take your car to the dealer, and explain to them what happened. Do not try to get into this whole throttle delay thing you have seen on the internet, let the professionals diagnose the car and get to the root of the problem. If you tell them its the throttle delay they may only perform a software update and not fix the actual problem.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2013, 07:40 PM   #5
slownfast
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 528i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by RambleJ View Post
That is not throttle delay, the throttle delay that people are experiencing is very quick, like less than one second. I would take your car to the dealer, and explain to them what happened. Do not try to get into this whole throttle delay thing you have seen on the internet, let the professionals diagnose the car and get to the root of the problem. If you tell them its the throttle delay they may only perform a software update and not fix the actual problem.
I agree with you since i have 528i too, lucky or not, I never have that throttle delay like that. actually, sometimes it happens, but just less than a second.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2013, 09:11 PM   #6
MELLOWYELLOW06
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8 & 2022 X& M50i

take the car in and let them know that you will not be picking the car up until they can guarantee the problem is gone.
let them know you do not feel safe in the least bit and you are not going to wait until you or a family member gets hurt.
mfg's do not take major safety issues like this very lightly because of they brush it off and something really bad happens, they will have some serious explaining
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2013, 09:20 PM   #7
Bmwlvr60
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 28i

Garage List
2014 BMW 528ix  [0.00]
2013 BMX X3 28i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MELLOWYELLOW06 View Post
take the car in and let them know that you will not be picking the car up until they can guarantee the problem is gone.
let them know you do not feel safe in the least bit and you are not going to wait until you or a family member gets hurt.
mfg's do not take major safety issues like this very lightly because of they brush it off and something really bad happens, they will have some serious explaining
Excellent advice here. Certain phrases cause a service department to take an issue very seriously because they're concerned about liability, such as "I don't feel that the car is safe to drive".
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2013, 10:36 PM   #8
K-A
Nice
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S SportDesign

Wow. That isn't "throttle delay" btw, it's an obvious glitch where the throttle failed to operate.

That's freaky and glad it didn't pan out badly.

I was in front of a Cop the other day, which gets me paranoid already as I have tinted windows, and I was hitting the gas and my car WAS NOT MOVING. I was totally internally freaking because now I'm giving the Officer a reason to notice me. I looked at my shifter and it was in "N" and the iDrive was flashing for me to move it in some direction. I looked at the RPM meter and it was at "0" signifying that my stupid Auto Start/Stop didn't start the car back up or something, so I hate to restart it.

This ASS is another thing that is just not a seemingly safe feature, if it were to go wrong (hopefully it never does).
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2013, 10:59 PM   #9
dbs600
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 750LXi Individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwlvr60 View Post
Certain phrases cause a service department to take an issue very seriously because they're concerned about liability, such as "I don't feel that the car is safe to drive".
Never worked [at multiple dealers] for my pulling to the right problem.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2013, 11:28 PM   #10
shihwei
Banned
Rep
Drives: F10 520d

Was your engine on or off during this process? Also, assuming its an automatic transmission? I remember my E39 had similar issues where my car's engine would completely turn off while shifter still in "Drive." (Always during a turn when my car was going forward from a complete stop) Definitely bring your car to the dealer and give them as much detail as you can (outside temperature, when was the last time engine started etc.) This is a really serious issue... Glad to know that you're not hurt
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 01:50 AM   #11
qadhi79
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M5 LCI (Space Gray)

Happened with me twice during the 6 months I owned 535i 8-speed automatic

Both time it happened when I was entering the main road from a side lane..I initially thought that it could be the traction control kicking in to avoid skidding but there was no warning light on the dashboard

I did not feel any lag but instead it felt as the engine literally died for some seconds
      06-10-2013, 03:27 AM   #12
K-A
Nice
Rep

Jeez. Sounds like what happened to me, except I was sitting at a red light and my whole engine appeared to be off (due to ASS). Between this and my rear door popping open when I was driving on the freeway once (didn't fully open, but just "popped" into the partially-closed area) it's kind of got me freaked.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 09:55 AM   #13
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

Sounds like the car auto stop start feature was having a problem getting the engine to start back up in time. I heard the system could be extra finicky if it isn't fully warmed up yet. I know some of the earlier 2012 328's had issues with the car not starting back up. either its time for a trip to the dealer...

Alan
      06-10-2013, 04:52 PM   #14
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

Quote:
Sometimes in an emergency, 1 or 2 seconds can seem like 4 seconds. next time you make a move like that, shift the shifter into sport mode and you will have less lag. Your transmission was probably at like 6th or 7th gear when you floor it. It take a while to down shift 4 gears. This is the price we pay for the fuel economy of the F10, especially with the 528i.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 10:35 PM   #15
COBodom
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 540i

Quote:

I would like to say it was more of an ASS hiccup than a throttle delay, but its sounds like you were waiting there with the left blinker ticking then accelerated and the car just did nothing but sluggishly rolled into the middle of the lane. That makes me think that ASS did its job and switched the engine on and "released" the steering, but for some reason the car hesitated for a moment. Not sure....

Wonder how the tach gauge behaved ? Was it flat for the ~4 secs (understand it might be difficult to recall)?

I just typically turn ASS off in situations like that simply by lifting the foot off the break. Not necessarily to accelerate faster, but it just annoys me when I have zero control over the steering when I need to make an immediate turn from a stand still (wheel locks when engine shuts).

For the record, I am yet to experience this.
      06-11-2013, 12:44 AM   #16
Teemo Panda
*Bimmerpost Plasti Dip Guru*
United_States
Rep
Drives: E53, E46-M3, E70, F25-X3

Garage List
2013 BMW X3  [5.66]
I would suggest resetting your adaptive transmission.
      06-11-2013, 09:10 AM   #17
Gonzoballz
Rep
Drives: 2012 528i M Sport

That's kind of what I was thinking. I feel like I caught the car in between cutting off and turning on. Just worried it had something to do with the heat.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 10:32 AM   #18
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

Quote:
That's kind of what I was thinking. I feel like I caught the car in between cutting off and turning on. Just worried it had something to do with the heat.
I am confuse, were your engine on or off when you try to accelarate?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2013, 05:42 AM   #19
EZduzit123
Rep
Drives: 2013 528i

Ive had the same experience! the reason i figured was cause i drive in eco mode often in city to get better mpg and the throttle response is made to be dull in eco mode for mpg reasons. Ive learned my lesson and almost been side clipped so i wait till cars pass then i drive incase i get a unexpected delay again.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2013, 10:09 AM   #20
Martin528
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 528

At the dealer you can have your ASS switched to default on last setting. I have my default as off. I do not like the ASS. I think it is not safe. I think it is bad for the engine. I think it will wear out the starter. I fully understand the premise behind it. Vehicles are forced by CAFE regs to raise fuel economy.
      08-04-2013, 11:35 PM   #21
K-A
Nice
Rep

My ASS stalled my car again through a busy intersection yesterday.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 02:05 AM   #22
joey5622
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 535xi

I've had this problem several times... The dealer was able to
Fix it without replacing the computer box. They had an update for me! Stupid thing switches to N when I drive..
Appreciate 0