2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Activating Drive Readiness

08-22-2013, 10:49 PM   #1
khai Dow
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: "Grey Goose" X7 40D, IOMG M4C

Activating Drive Readiness

Ok, this may sound like a minor issue, but I just cant quite get the same behaviour from the car when I get inside and want to get moving. I always close the doors, belt up and then, following the instructions from the manual:

Activating drive readiness
1. Close the driver's door.
2. Depress the brake pedal.
3. Press the Start/Stop button.

Sometimes this will start the car, other times it will activate Radio Readiness. Sometimes I need to press the button 3 times before the engine actually starts (foot on the brake the entire time).

Question:
- Does anyone else have similar issues?
- I'm wondering now (as I write this) if this behaviour is due to my car being an ActiveHybrid - maybe it IS drive ready after the first press but in electric only mode?
- When I hop out of the car and open my garage door, generally I have to press at least another twice before I can get it to drive...

Clearly I have nothing else to worry about in my life that this is annoying me :-)
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2013, 09:31 AM   #2
steve-p
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2012 ActiveHybrid 5

Pressing Start once with a foot on the brake pedal works fine for me. It took some getting used to though, because if the engine is warm and the battery has some charge, the only indication that the car will move off if you put it in gear is a small indicator that says "ready" or something like that next to the battery charge display. It's confusing initially because you kind of expect the engine to start, but of course in a Hybrid it doesn't unless it has to.

If I were you I would try just pressing Start once ensuring the brake pedal is depressed, and don't press it again unless if won't move off. Also, when you get out of the car to close the garage, why not just put it in Park without switching off the engine? You will probably find the engine will cut automatically anyway, and you can just put it in gear when you get back in, and drive off.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2013, 11:21 AM   #3
khai Dow
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: "Grey Goose" X7 40D, IOMG M4C

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve-p
Pressing Start once with a foot on the brake pedal works fine for me. It took some getting used to though, because if the engine is warm and the battery has some charge, the only indication that the car will move off if you put it in gear is a small indicator that says "ready" or something like that next to the battery charge display. It's confusing initially because you kind of expect the engine to start, but of course in a Hybrid it doesn't unless it has to.

If I were you I would try just pressing Start once ensuring the brake pedal is depressed, and don't press it again unless if won't move off. Also, when you get out of the car to close the garage, why not just put it in Park without switching off the engine? You will probably find the engine will cut automatically anyway, and you can just put it in gear when you get back in, and drive off.
Thanks Steve. You are correct, it says "Ready" in the display but the car makes no sound. It will move forward under battery only if it can, switching to combustion engine as required. Problem solved, thanks.

I believe when I'm getting out to close the garage door, I must be more than 10 feet away as it won't let me put it back in drive. At least now I know it needs only a single press to get going.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2013, 07:17 AM   #4
steve-p
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2012 ActiveHybrid 5

Glad you figured it out The three state system can be a bit confusing. I think it would help if they added some sort of audible confirmation when you move to Ready mode if the engine doesn't need to start. I mean I'm completely used to the way it works, and yet it still catches me out once a month or so.
Appreciate 0