2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK Car Cleaning

05-01-2013, 09:23 AM   #1
ds1980
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 320d SE E91

Car Cleaning

Just taken arrival of new motor and wondered what people used to clean their cars? TBH i dont really have that much time so im not wanting the whole hog but i do enjoy cleaning the cars myself so just wanted a few reasonably priced "shouldnt do without" things to help me along the way. Ive loooked around but a lot of the info seems to be from america or maybe im just looking in the wrong places

any help most welcome

ta
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2013, 09:36 AM   #2
the_rangdo
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 528i F11 (2015)

Start with simple good practice and work from there.

Good hosing down before-hand to remove as much loose stuff as possible.

Don't use a sponge if you want to minimise those tiny surface scratches that show up in sunlight (especially if it's dark). Lambswool mitt or something similar.

2 buckets helps - one for rinsing the mitt, the other to load with fresh soapy water.

Use a large micro-fibre towel for drying instead of a leather.

I'm guessing it's the modern use of water-based paints that's given rise to needing to do the above, using a sponge on older cars of mine never used to cause a problem but it's really easy now to get those hazy surface scratches.

Those 4 steps above should be enough to get you going and keep her looking good, after that it's down to how much (or little) you want to add

And don't look at Detailing World
      05-01-2013, 11:05 AM   #3
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

I agree with everything 'Rangdo' says and to keep the shine I give the car a quick once-over with 'Werkstat' spray - very easy and quick to use and it leaves a super slick surface which makes it less easy for dirt to adhere to.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2013, 11:43 AM   #4
the_rangdo
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_rangdo View Post
tiny surface scratches that show up in sunlight (especially if it's dark)
That doesn't sound like I'm contradicting myself at all.

I meant especially if it's a dark colour. silver and white are the most forgiving colours, black is a right old PITA.
      05-01-2013, 11:46 AM   #5
the_rangdo
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon D View Post
I agree with everything 'Rangdo' says and to keep the shine I give the car a quick once-over with 'Werkstat' spray - very easy and quick to use and it leaves a super slick surface which makes it less easy for dirt to adhere to.
I use Gtechniq C2 - similar idea, a genuine wipe on wipe off protector.

I did make the mistake of joining Detailing World and for a while tried some of the boutique waxes, a lot of them aren't worth the price premium IMO.
      05-01-2013, 11:49 AM   #6
Lee
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: '17 X5 50i/'01 Z3

Micro fiber towels changed my life.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2013, 12:43 PM   #7
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_rangdo View Post
I use Gtechniq C2 - similar idea, a genuine wipe on wipe off protector.

I did make the mistake of joining Detailing World and for a while tried some of the boutique waxes, a lot of them aren't worth the price premium IMO.
I know what you mean about DW and boutique waxes, but I've resisted the temptation thanks to the guys at my local detailer, Polished Bliss. They have a bewildering selection of stuff on their shelves at up to £800 for a 200ml tub, but they've never tried to sell me anything more than the Werkstat at £17 for 500ml.
I've heard good reports about the C2 and might give it a try just for a change - how often do you find yourself using it and does it give a good gloss with a slick finish?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2013, 02:23 PM   #8
Lee
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolDude196 View Post
Hahah!
Do you have one to recommend? There's too much choice, especially on Polished Bliss
Recently ordered a Cobra one, which I am quite happy with, but the no-name brands seem to work just fine too. One of my really anal friends got me into ripping off the tags as well. I can tell you that my wife is tired of finding them in the cars, all over the house, garage...
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 06:19 AM   #9
dyslexicwinker
Rep
Drives: bmw 3 series touring e90

lovely thanks are you allowed to post links to sites with these products or people that are especially helpful. I was thinking of spending about £50 on getting me a nice starting kit should that suffice?

ta

winker
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 10:59 AM   #10
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyslexicwinker View Post
lovely thanks are you allowed to post links to sites with these products or people that are especially helpful. I was thinking of spending about £50 on getting me a nice starting kit should that suffice?

ta

winker
£50'ish will get you started. My basic kit consists of the following:

Tesco microfibre noodle wash mitt - £3

Plastic bucket - £5

Wolf's White Satin shampoo - £10.50 (1 lt - enough for 40 washes)

PB drying towel - £11

Werkstat Acrylic Jett - £17 (500 ml - about a year's worth)

Poorboy's deluxe mega towel x2 £10 or, even better 2 of these: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kent-Q6750-M...=kent+car+care (you can find much cheaper towels, but these are really plush, especially the Kent ones at £4 each)

Chemicals and towels from Polished Bliss: http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/

If your paintwork doesn't feel completely smooth after washing, I'd recommend a deep clean with Werkstat Prime Strong (£24) and if doesn't feel super slick after that it'll need claying - easier than it sounds.

Speak to Rich at PB - he's very helpful and might suggest a different sealant, dependant on the colour of your car and the paintwork condition. Tell him that Jon with the silver/gold 6 series convertible sent you - you never know, I might get a slight discount on my next visit .

Hope that helps.

PS: the URLs should answer your question about posting links .
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2013, 02:53 PM   #11
Lucky-13
Registered
Rep
Drives: F10 520d MSport - Alpine White

All of the previous posts offer great advice and just to add to it I always use a tyre dressing too, just to get that showroom new look. Oh, and plenty of elbow grease - especially with the insects during summer! Grrrrrrrr.... !!
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2013, 03:48 PM   #12
immx
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2012 520D SE Touring

Or just drive to the local petrol station, where some very nice blokes will do inside and out for £12

Seriously, that's the only choice I have as I live in a top floor flat and have to park in the next street!
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2013, 11:40 PM   #13
Lee
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by immx View Post
Or just drive to the local petrol station, where some very nice blokes will do inside and out for £12

Seriously, that's the only choice I have as I live in a top floor flat and have to park in the next street!
You mean the guys that use sandpaper washrags? No thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2013, 03:07 AM   #14
robertsskippyj
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW F10 535d

Hi Guys i'm New but not to BMW and need to make my first.
I love cleaning the car.
DODO JUICE is the way forward handmade amazing products made in the UK, all for a sensible price. I've been using it for 3 years now and would never go back to the much more expensive SwissVax.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2013, 06:43 PM   #15
robertsskippyj
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW F10 535d

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolDude196 View Post
Which product in particular do you recommend or use?
All of them. Lol

I use "born to be mild" shampoo.
Basics of bling clay bar with "born slippy" clay bar lube.
"Lime lite" prewax cleaner polish.
Supernatural hardwax.
I wash using there wookies fist, now called a long hair mitt or something like that.
Dry with and buff of cleaners and waxes with there supernatural polishing cloths.
Apply polish and wax with foam finger tip applicators.

I've also used there "rainforest rub" soft wax that's very good to, but supernatural has slightly better staying power and slightly better finish.

Though if you weren't int0 spending hours on the car you could just use the shampoo and then wax when dry and get 90% as good results.

Last edited by robertsskippyj; 06-14-2013 at 06:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2013, 05:48 AM   #16
Nick the Greek
Banned
France
Rep
Drives: M135i. I don't do diesel.

I get very good results with Turtle Wax Ice polish. Easy on and off and no residue.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2014, 01:57 PM   #17
Balster
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 530d MSport xDrive

What are people thoughts on using autoglym products?

G30 530d M Sport xdrive, Adaptive Drive and with all of the important options.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2014, 12:16 PM   #18
Bobbins
Rep
Drives: F10

I use Autoglym

I took delivery of my F10 on 7th January and at it's first wash I could feel how "dry" the paint was, not very impressive for a brand new car
Less than a week later I gave it the full clay, polish, hi-definition wax treatment and now it feels as fresh as my old E60, much happier. Washing is now a nice uncomplicated procedure because the paint has better protection and doesn't want to hang on to the dirt.

Also I use totally Autoglym products, you can get a hang up about the best wax for this, best polish for that but what's most important is that you actually get out and do it!
Appreciate 0