2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum 6 Month 535d xDrive M Package Review

12-18-2015, 12:48 PM   #1
raddy
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 535d xDrive

6 Month 535d xDrive M Package Review

Hi Everyone,

Hard to believe but I have been driving my 535d xDrive with the M Package for 6 months now. I bought it as a demo model, 2015 with 8,000 kms on it.

This is my first BMW and represented a huge jump for me - as I thought that I would enter brand with a F30.

Now that I am "USED" to owning a BMW, I can be a bit more objective in my review. Although, I won't lie - I feel like "holy s#it, I am driving a bimmer".

Handling/Steering

I only test drove the e60 once and that was a while ago.. Thus I can't really compare it to the F10. But the first thing I really liked about this car is the steering. I always feel like I am in control of the car. And the steering improves as I pick up speed. of course in Sports and Sports + mode the steering is even more fun. Whipping this car around corners is fun once I got used to the length of the car.

Grade - A

Acceleration/Drive

It is really a story of "comfort mode" vs. "sports mode". In comfort mode, the pick up is nice however it could use a bit more ummph. It may be the diesel. I find after the 20 km/h then it takes off in comfort mode. The drive is wonderful. My wife who is often a passenger says it feels like a airplane on the runway. That is until I kick it into sports mode. All I can say is DAMN!!! The speed limit in Ontario, Canada is 100 km/hr although most drivers go 120 km/hr. In sports mode, it is EASY to hit 150 km/hr in no time. I found some back roads and pushed it to 190 km/hr a couple of times. The steering is fantastic here but the push you feel in amazing. The car keeps on giving and giving and giving. In manual mode. OMFG - HEAVEN!

My only pet peeve is the wind noise. If I have the stereo turned down (more on that later), there is fair amt of wind noise when I push it. However, I do have the stereo on most of the time.

BMW is about the drive. and so far i am LOVING! Hopefully they can inject more of the "Sports" mode feel as the standard for the G30.

Grade B (Comfort mode), A+ (Sports Mode)

Fuel Economy

I was not looking for a Diesel. But got a great deal on one. So I was anxious to see what kind of fuel economy I would experience. To date, fuel economy has been quiet good. I drive mainly within the Greater Toronto Area but if you live here - you know that can a while. I am averaging around 7.8 L/100 Km to 9.2L/100 km. It depends on how much highway driving I am doing. I will say,if you are diesel user in Toronto - use Shell's V-power diesel. It does make a difference!

Grade A+

Stereo System

I listen to hip hop, jazz, reggae, soca, funk with some classical. Thus bass is important to me. The Harman Kardon system is off the hook. I have no complaints about the sound quality at all. My wife can tell that I am home based on the bass thumping from my car LOL.

Grade A+

iDrive System/Nav

Pretty easy to use. I find most of the functions to be intuitive. I often use the Sports mode screen to see how many RPM's I am pushing. The owners manual has been a useful tool as well. The voice commands work well. I do like where control mechanism is located. Easy to operate when driving. There are some areas of improvement that I would suggest for the G30.

1) The "Back" button takes things a bit too literal. If I am in radio mode, then decide to go into "Media" mode; then decide to hit back - to view a media directory - it brings me back to 'radio". Its a little thing but a bit annoying. Go back into the setting I am in.

2) Navigation - needs to be more Canadian centric. Always seems to want to pull me to a US address. Now note, I don't have "Connected Drive". it didn't come with the demo and I am not paying $1500 extra for it lol.

Grade B

Comfort/Luxury

Oh I do love these seats. LOVE THEM. First thing we noticed was how comfort these seats are. I use every feature of these seats. It is beyond comfortable. I have NO COMPLAINS about them. Zip lol. For overall luxury, I love the night time lighting. Only wish that the BMW logo in the door sill lit up and ditto for the space under the wood panel.

The wood panel scratches very easily. That has been disappointing.

Storage can be improved. Especially cell phone and sun glasses storage. I use a car charger, and it is awkward placing the phone within the cup holders.

I have a 2 year old, and she is very comfortable in the back seat. I have a light colour seats (Oyster) so you do have to remember to wipe them down so often. I really like the F10's layout. It is not as luxurious as the S- Class and new E-Class. I do wish the F10 hate a little more more luxury. If the G30 is like the new 7 - that will be addressed.

Grade B+

BMW Service

Had one issue with alignment and BMW Etobicoke fixed everything perfectly. Also had my first service call, no problems with at all. Paul was fantastic and as well his entire staff. And they answer every question I have.

Grade A

Overall

My 2 year old loves this car and is always talking about it. What I love about this car is that is not over the top yet when you stop to really look at it - it is beautiful. It does make a statement when I pull into the parking lot. It is wonderful machine. My biggest complaint about the car is the price vs. options. For connected drive not to be included in a $70K plus luxury sedan is laughable.

Its fuel economy, comfort has surprised me the most, in a good way. What I love most about this car is how is can be a luxury cruiser and with one push of a button , it can turn in a beast. Great 6 months so far!

Overall Grade - A
Attached Images

2019 BMW X3 3.0. xLine, Black on Black
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2015, 02:03 PM   #2
SleevedCoyote
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2017 Mustang GT

A shame you guys dont get the real 535d with 313 hp. That would have taken it to another level

Great review and enjoy the whip
Appreciate 0