2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs How can I get rid of these scuff marks. Help

10-28-2012, 07:31 AM   #1
M2COMP
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5, 2013 550xi, M2C

How can I get rid of these scuff marks. Help

Hi guys I just noticed these scuff marks on my 2 day old F10, I took it to dealer detail shop to get them buffed out as I could not feel if I swipe my finger on them. However they could not get rid of it and have suggested to take it to some body shop.
What are my options, do I have to get the full hood repainted???
Please advise.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-28-2012, 11:05 AM   #2
535DMSport
Second Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW

They can do a spot repair if the shop is good. I wouldn't start the process of deep polish / wetsanding the car.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2012, 07:47 PM   #3
eclipsisNA
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Estoril 328i M Sport

Garage List
2014 BMW 428i  [7.76]
I doubt the dealer detailer had any clue about what they were looking at. Judging by what I can see in the picture, I'm fairly positive they can be removed with compounding/polishing. What part of the Southeast are you in?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2012, 09:31 PM   #4
M2COMP
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipsisNA View Post
I doubt the dealer detailer had any clue about what they were looking at. Judging by what I can see in the picture, I'm fairly positive they can be removed with compounding/polishing. What part of the Southeast are you in?
Thanks, I took it to another guy, he just did gentle wet sanding on a 3 square inch area, probably couple of rubs and got rid of it. I live in Knoxville, TN. Will be going to Atlanta for clear bra as I don't have too many experienced folks in the neighborhood.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 04:36 PM   #5
Breach
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F10 520dA M Sport

How deep are those? Difficult to tell by the picture. If your fingernail catches they're deep. Anyway I wouldn't even consider wet sanding for something like this. Normally, a dual-action polisher with an aggressive polish for hard paint + another pass with something less aggressive will pretty much make them all but disappear.

Update: sorry, just saw you fixed it. Sanding is the most aggressive course of action and even though it will then look like new (provided it's then properly polished) it will significantly decrease the clear coat protection in that area.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 10:13 PM   #6
M2COMP
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breach View Post
How deep are those? Difficult to tell by the picture. If your fingernail catches they're deep. Anyway I wouldn't even consider wet sanding for something like this. Normally, a dual-action polisher with an aggressive polish for hard paint + another pass with something less aggressive will pretty much make them all but disappear.

Update: sorry, just saw you fixed it. Sanding is the most aggressive course of action and even though it will then look like new (provided it's then properly polished) it will significantly decrease the clear coat protection in that area.
Thanks. I put the Xpel ultimate on it the next day, I cant even find the spot
Appreciate 0