2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum When is TPMS not TPMS?

08-08-2011, 11:31 PM   #1
vngooi
Private
Rep
Drives: F10

When is TPMS not TPMS?

I've come across many references to the term "..tyres with/without TPMS...".What exactly is this referring to? Is this only applicable to American/Europe BMW F10 (or other BMW models) cars or worldwide?

For the F10...as far as I know....for the Asian Region, especially Malaysia / Singapore /Thailand / Indonesia / Hongkong...the Tyre Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) is already built-into the system of the car and NOT tyre dependent......but I am ready to stand corrected...

For those who know, please enlighten.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2011, 12:45 AM   #2
HouseofPang
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 528i

Inside the tyres there is a transmitter/sensor, that talks to the receiver/brain of the car system.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2011, 02:20 AM   #3
Gran Turismo
Alpina Addict
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: Alpina B4 S Coupe AWD

Cars without TPM usually have the simpler FTM (Flat Tire Monitoring) system, which relies only on the ABS sensors as measurement source (wheel rotation speed differences). It will issue a warning message on the dash only, no "online" pressure and temperature info.
      08-09-2011, 03:36 AM   #4
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseofPang View Post
Inside the tyres there is a transmitter/sensor, that talks to the receiver/brain of the car system.
This is an option I'm considering on my next car and I'd like to know a bit more about the system.
Do you get an actual pressure reading on the screen and do you know how accurate the sensors are?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2011, 05:10 AM   #5
Gran Turismo
Alpina Addict
Switzerland
Rep

Yep, you're getting the current pressure AND temperature reading for every tire displayed on that semi-transparent 3D cutaway car picture (which is also used i.e. when DDC settings are changed).
And that TPM screen can be assigned to one of the programmable memory buttons.

Initially I suspected that one of my sensors might not be reliable, but it turned out that actually the gas station's pressure gauge I've relied on wasn't accurate. No more complaints since my dealership adjusted the pressures using a "decent" gauge.
      08-09-2011, 08:30 AM   #6
vngooi
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gran Turismo View Post
Cars without TPM usually have the simpler FTM (Flat Tire Monitoring) system, which relies only on the ABS sensors as measurement source (wheel rotation speed differences). It will issue a warning message on the dash only, no "online" pressure and temperature info. Yep, you're getting the current pressure AND temperature reading for every tire displayed on that semi-transparent 3D cutaway car picture (which is also used i.e. when DDC settings are changed).
I stand corrected....therefore, the F10 models in the Asian region all do not come with these sensors on the tyres...hence, I believe, the cars are only relying on the ABS measurement as the source....shucks!!...

...Gran Turismo, would you be so kind as to show a pic of how the diagram of pressure and temp looks like on the screen? I think we are being short-changed here in Asia....
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2011, 08:58 AM   #7
tp550i
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i Sport

Quote:
Yep, you're getting the current pressure AND temperature reading for every tire displayed on that semi-transparent 3D cutaway car picture (which is also used i.e. when DDC settings are changed).
Interesting - not sure thats the case in US models. I get the transparent 3D cutaway with the tires color coded green, etc but no tire pressure or temp readings. Maybe I am missing something in the setup?
      08-09-2011, 10:46 AM   #8
ex-poster
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2000 328, 2006 330

Quote:
Cars without TPM usually have the simpler FTM (Flat Tire Monitoring) system, which relies only on the ABS sensors as measurement source (wheel rotation speed differences). It will issue a warning message on the dash only, no "online" pressure and temperature info.
FYI, this system did not inform me when I had a flat on my (pre-TPMS) e90.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2011, 12:53 PM   #9
grimlock
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F10 N52B30@255PS

Quote:
Are you serious? That sounds awesome.. always thought the TPMS was just a piece of useless __ mandated by the US gov that neither worked well nor brought any benefits.
So you can see the individual realtime tire pressure+temp on the screen with graphic? wow
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2011, 02:29 PM   #10
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:

Initially I suspected that one of my sensors might not be reliable, but it turned out that actually the gas station's pressure gauge I've relied on wasn't accurate. No more complaints since my dealership adjusted the pressures using a "decent" gauge.
Sounds like a really good system and it's not all that expensive - any chance of a picture showing how it looks on the display? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2011, 03:10 PM   #11
RH512
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535i xDrive, C4S cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp550i View Post
Interesting - not sure thats the case in US models. I get the transparent 3D cutaway with the tires color coded green, etc but no tire pressure or temp readings. Maybe I am missing something in the setup?
You're correct. US does not get a readout with actual pressure, just a green okay. Too bad.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2011, 03:24 PM   #12
Gran Turismo
Alpina Addict
Switzerland
Rep

Pic will follow tomorrow, stay tuned

I can't comment on any TPM version not transmitting the readings.

On my previous 650i I had the simple ABS based FTM system (German: RPA, Reifen Pannen Anzeige) which would only trigger a warning light (exclamation mark in tire cross-section) + iDrive message in case of a pressure drop. Currently, this FTM is also standard equipment on the German and Swiss F10 versions.

The advanced TPM system (German: RDC, Reifen Druck Control) has the BMW option code 2VB here and is fully covered in my BMW owners manual, it's definitely not some Alpina specific feature.
      08-09-2011, 03:53 PM   #13
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Pic will follow tomorrow, stay tuned

I can't comment on any TPM version not transmitting the readings.

On my previous 650i I had the simple ABS based FTM system (German: RPA, Reifen Pannen Anzeige) which would only trigger a warning light (exclamation mark in tire cross-section) + iDrive message in case of a pressure drop. Currently, this FTM is also standard equipment on the German and Swiss F10 versions.

The advanced TPM system (German: RDC, Reifen Druck Control) has the BMW option code 2VB here and is fully covered in my BMW owners manual, it's definitely not some Alpina specific feature.
Just checked my owner's manual and, not that I was doubting you, it's exactly as you say. However, as there's no picture, I'll look forward to seeing your photo tomorrow.
Many thanks for all the info; seeing as I'm bordering on OCD with tyre pressures, I'll definitely spec my F12 with this option.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2011, 03:59 PM   #14
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by vngooi View Post
I stand corrected....therefore, the F10 models in the Asian region all do not come with these sensors on the tyres...hence, I believe, the cars are only relying on the ABS measurement as the source....shucks!!...

...Gran Turismo, would you be so kind as to show a pic of how the diagram of pressure and temp looks like on the screen? I think we are being short-changed here in Asia....
TPMS, with individual pressure readings, is optional in most markets. Can't really say anybody is shortchanged in this case.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2011, 04:12 PM   #15
tp550i
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH512 View Post
You're correct. US does not get a readout with actual pressure, just a green okay. Too bad.
Too bad is right. I'd gladly trade my "efficient dynamics" gas mileage meter for tire pressure and coolant temp. anyday

Last edited by tp550i; 08-09-2011 at 05:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2011, 08:42 AM   #16
RH512
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Too bad is right. I'd gladly trade my "efficient dynamics" gas mileage meter for tire pressure and coolant temp. anyday
Absolutely agree.

Wonder if the wheel sensors are different in US vs other markets.

Then maybe it's a coding issue that might with some insight give us actual pressure information?

Anyone researched it??
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2011, 02:10 PM   #17
Gran Turismo
Alpina Addict
Switzerland
Rep

Ok, here's the promised (crappy iPhone) pic of the TPM in action:
Attached Images

08-10-2011, 02:36 PM   #18
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
GT, thanks very much for taking the trouble to post the picture - this looks really good and exactly what I hoped it would be. For £250 I shall definitely be choosing this option on my F12 next year.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2011, 11:26 PM   #19
grimlock
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F10 N52B30@255PS

Awesome .. just as one would have imagined it!

But this would make you want to not target to the 0.05bar to avoid getting uneven readings on four corners

or if one side of your garage gets more heating than the other you're screwed.

Checking it could easily develop into a bad habit.

Last edited by grimlock; 08-10-2011 at 11:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 07:43 AM   #20
radarguy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M440ix, 2023 X3 M40ix

Quote:
Me too! I'd even through in the oil level readout assuming it was replaced by a dip stick.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 07:56 AM   #21
RH512
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

That's perfect, temperature and pressure. Wish we could get it.

Seems BMW thinks the US market can only understand color coded simplistic information. Feels like in this market they're really promoting luxo appliances and not driving machines. Then again it is the case with the vast majority of owners who want it simple.

iiwii
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2011, 02:02 AM   #22
vngooi
Private
Rep

Quote:
Thanks Gran Turismo for the pics! Have all the icons on-screen but the carpic just shows green...no read-out of psi or temp.
Would you know if the car's system needs to be coded to receive TPMS signal info or is it "plug and play"? Am considering buying the TPMS sensors to fit on my tyres....

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarence
TPMS, with individual pressure readings, is optional in most markets. Can't really say anybody is shortchanged in this case.
...It is if the dealership was advertising this as part of the sale
Appreciate 0