2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK 520D Fuel Economy

12-05-2014, 01:51 PM   #1
CraigUK
Captain
Rep
Drives: F11 LCI 520D Sport Tourer

520D Fuel Economy

Just a brief post to ask what MPG those of you with 520D's are getting. I've got an F11 tourer and for a car that weights 1.8 tonnes I'm amazed at the fuel consumption.

63.7MPG from a cold start this morning on my commute which is about 80% dual carriageway. Heated seats and other gizmos draining power too

[IMG]

Last edited by CraigUK; 12-14-2014 at 02:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2014, 02:46 PM   #2
wicked5
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 520d SE

45-49mpg on motorway here - not THAT brilliant, I was getting 44mpg out of my petrol audi a4

Appreciate 0
      12-06-2014, 01:04 AM   #3
WillieMaykit
Rep
n/a
Drives:

At the moment I am only averaging around 28mpg though I am doing a lot of short trips. Taking the car for a long motorway run this weekend so hopefully will improve
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2014, 02:23 AM   #4
m@rk
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 520D SE

Garage List
See my signature. That's a 6 month average and is much better than I was expecting considering I live 45 minutes from the nearest motorway

By comparison, my previous A7 averaged 37mpg and my 335D Touring (E91) about the same. Also having a manual gearbox results in a lower MPG on the 520D

It's also worth pointing out that the OBC reads high so if it's claiming 42.8mpg I would suggest the real number is slightly under 40mpg
      12-06-2014, 03:22 AM   #5
CraigUK
Captain
Rep

Thanks for the replies, quite a variation then. I wonder how much is just down to driving style verses other things like gearbox type, fuel etc.

63mpg isn't my usual consumption, so far I've driven the car just under 4k miles and my long term average is 49.5mpg and as has been said I do suspect that reading may be on the high side.

I've the auto box too and use standard shell diesel. Am going to try a couple of tanks of VPower diesel to see if it makes any difference.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2014, 10:26 AM   #6
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigUK View Post
Thanks for the replies, quite a variation then. I wonder how much is just down to driving style verses other things like gearbox type, fuel etc.

63mpg isn't my usual consumption, so far I've driven the car just under 4k miles and my long term average is 49.5mpg and as has been said I do suspect that reading may be on the high side.

I've the auto box too and use standard shell diesel. Am going to try a couple of tanks of VPower diesel to see if it makes any difference.
There will be a big percentage of difference simply on driving style. I remember a study where up to 35% variation was just for the driver. An EU study indicates driver training can save up to 20% fuel consumption.

I recall a test where two drivers made the same trip, one drove with a more appropriate style, using the engine more efficiently, recorded lower fuel consumption and a higher average speed for the trip. In other words, one wasted fuel.

I followed a BMW into town some time ago, he was accelerating and braking all the way, I just sat on a steady throttle with no need to vary speed, use brakes or accelerate. I thought at the time, "what would the difference be in fuel consumption between him and me?"

Then we have the variations in conditions. That can double (or halve) the consumption, simply on the extremes of conditions.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2014, 07:45 AM   #7
CraigUK
Captain
Rep

I must just have a really light right foot Pete. Either that or my car has been extremely well run in by its previous owner
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2014, 01:10 PM   #8
DDarkEnergy
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d F11 Auto 2013

First 10,000 miles from new, average consumption is 5.9 liters/100km or 48 MPG.
For more information about 520d F10/11 consumption you may look here:

https://www.spritmonitor.de/en/overv...=140&gearing=2
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 02:24 AM   #9
Pottsy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10 535d MSport

Can I sneakily drop in with what I am getting on the motorway (this one was from cold)? Not a 520d, but similar.

Name:  535dmpg.jpg
Views: 8409
Size:  134.3 KB
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 03:11 AM   #10
CraigUK
Captain
Rep

Wow, pretty good for a 535D. Would love one of those but couldn't find one within my budget. I suppose if you can resist flooring it then it can be very frugal.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 03:57 AM   #11
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigUK View Post
Wow, pretty good for a 535D. Would love one of those but couldn't find one within my budget. I suppose if you can resist flooring it then it can be very frugal.
Yes, all about the control of the right foot. Notice the average speed is ~60mph.

Look at user fuel sites and the 535d averages in the low 30's. Guess not many buy a 535d to get great economy.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 05:49 AM   #12
Pottsy
Private First Class
Rep

As HP says, it's all about:

Constant power, not varying. Keep those turbines at a constant rpm for as long as possible.
Massive anticipation, leading to...
No braking!

That run was mostly 73 mph indicated, with a section at 52 mph indicated (roadworks). Start was from cold, but only 4 miles to the motorway.

The nice thing about the 535d is that it can be frugal when you want it to be, and powerful (and thirsty) when you want that. Comfy on the straights, firm and precise round corners (but that's AD doing it's bit). Normal A roads it seems to be mid to low 40's, enthusiastic A roads is high 30's to low 40's. But when being enthusiastic, economy is irrelevant!
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 08:40 AM   #13
RandomGuy152
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 M-Sport (TiAg)

With a broad spectrum of road and traffic situations, my average mpg is about 40-45, within the M25.

On motorways (in the home counties), the car comfortably achieves high 50s. Only ever had 60+ on quiet days and on journeys further afield.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2014, 03:19 AM   #14
SpeedTrip
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: F21 M140i LCI-2 Alpine

Garage List
As you can see, my tank-by-tank MPG is crap ....... on a run tho I often see high 50's .....

320i *2, 323i, 520i *2, 540i, 535i, 840i, E36 M5, 328i, 530i, 320d, 535d, M135i, M140i * 2
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2014, 05:31 PM   #15
Piers
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 F10 535d M-Sport

This is a really weird one for me.

Colleaugue has a 520d pre LCI with sports auto, drives it everywhere like he stole it and gets 46mpg.

I have a 520d LCI, non sports auto and have done some proper nun driving, am very proficient in smooth driving from alot of track work, lack of braking, anticipation etc, and even on long motorway runs, getting more than 46mpg is nigh on impossible.

The savings are tiny, but it does chafe a little I have to say, and many of you above are achieving more too it would appear.

Real world, I get between 590 and 620 miles tank to tank.
2017 F10 535d MSport Auto - Mineral Grey - Oyster leather - 19" 351M's - Pro Media - Enhanced bluetooth - MSport rear spoiler - Sun protection glass - Harman Kardon Hifi - Multi Function Display - Ambient Lighting - Folding mirrors - Sunroof - LED adaptive headlights
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2014, 01:53 AM   #16
m@rk
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 520D SE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piers View Post

Colleaugue has a 520d pre LCI with sports auto, drives it everywhere like he stole it and gets 46mpg.

I have a 520d LCI, non sports auto and have done some proper nun driving, am very proficient in smooth driving from alot of track work, lack of braking, anticipation etc, and even on long motorway runs, getting more than 46mpg is nigh on impossible.

The savings are tiny, but it does chafe a little I have to say, and many of you above are achieving more too it would appear.

Real world, I get between 590 and 620 miles tank to tank.
Don't take this the wrong way but perhaps you are not as smooth and proficient as you think you are. Have you ever had your driving assessed by the likes of RoADA or IAM. You might be surprised on the comments made.

Another variable between you and the next driver is also geography.

As I mentioned I have a 45 minute cross country drive before i get to my nearest motorway hence I believe my MPG could be higher still. Perhaps your normal route from home has more hills, roundabouts, traffic lights or something else compared to other drivers
      12-18-2014, 03:25 AM   #17
Pottsy
Private First Class
Rep

Piers,

Something is up, either you or the car. I get 46 average without fuss in the 535d.

To test the car - get on the motorway, reset the trip meter, put the cruise control on at 60 mph and do at least 30 miles (ideally on a non-windy day). In a 520d LCI you should be above 60 mpg.

To test you - this is more difficult because every single driver describes their driving as "normal". I could tell stories about this for hours... Anyway, put it into Eco Pro on the motorway and drive "normally". Does the power meter go up and down when you are at constant speed, or is the meter absolutely stationary? Moving meter = unconscious moving foot = turbo speed constantly changing = poor mpg. A moving foot can cost you 10 mpg.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2014, 06:39 AM   #18
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piers View Post

Besides the drivers and user conditions, we are talking of two different cars, what is the mileage difference? One could be performing better than the other, simply on mileage and is now loosened up.

Also how do you both record/report the mpg? Long term brim to brim figures, or OBC readings? If it is the OBC, there could be quite a variation in accuracy over two cars.

I go along with Pottsy in running a test at constant speed, when you are out on the motorway, reset the OBC, see what you get.

On driving styles, because someone looks as if they drive harder, still many factors which skew the consumption. They may drive quite hard, but often their conditions can give better mpg simply that they may be cruising more miles at steady speeds, between their harder accelerations.

Also remember quick efficient accelerations can be the best way to gain speed. Load the engine harder in the most efficient range, for less seconds than lower loads at less efficiency. If not slightly better mpg, it is often no worse than under accelerating "inefficiently". Plus it is more fun.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2014, 11:53 AM   #19
DDarkEnergy
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d F11 Auto 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Besides the drivers and user conditions, we are talking of two different cars, what is the mileage difference? One could be performing better than the other, simply on mileage and is now loosened up.

Also how do you both record/report the mpg? Long term brim to brim figures, or OBC readings? If it is the OBC, there could be quite a variation in accuracy over two cars.

I go along with Pottsy in running a test at constant speed, when you are out on the motorway, reset the OBC, see what you get.

On driving styles, because someone looks as if they drive harder, still many factors which skew the consumption. They may drive quite hard, but often their conditions can give better mpg simply that they may be cruising more miles at steady speeds, between their harder accelerations.

Also remember quick efficient accelerations can be the best way to gain speed. Load the engine harder in the most efficient range, for less seconds than lower loads at less efficiency. If not slightly better mpg, it is often no worse than under accelerating "inefficiently". Plus it is more fun.

HighlandPete
Pete,
I agree with your point about comparing OBC readings, they are not that accurate. I've been checking brim to brim vs OBC for the past two years and my conclusion is that at least in my car, the OBC is always optimistic and the optimism varies between 2% and 7%.

Regarding the driving technique, I have to disagree with you.
A hard acceleration to reach a given speed is one of the worst forms of fuel wasting with a turbo diesel.
Any cyclist will tell you that it takes a lot of energy to accelerate hard. A gentle acceleration to reach the same speed saves a lot of energy.
Your definition of "efficient" and "inefficient" may have to be revised.
That used to be the case with normally aspirated petrol (low compression) engines. Thermal efficiency is maximum for normally aspirated engines, or any engine for that matter, when cylinders are fully filled with air fuel mixture.
Why is that? Is because the thermal efficiency of internal combustion engines increases with the true/actual compression. If the cylinder is only partially filled then the actual compression is lower and efficiency is lower.
This argument does not apply for turbo diesel engines, they always work close to the maximum compression.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2014, 04:28 AM   #20
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDarkEnergy View Post
Regarding the driving technique, I have to disagree with you.
A hard acceleration to reach a given speed is one of the worst forms of fuel wasting with a turbo diesel.
Any cyclist will tell you that it takes a lot of energy to accelerate hard. A gentle acceleration to reach the same speed saves a lot of energy.
Your definition of "efficient" and "inefficient" may have to be revised.
That used to be the case with normally aspirated petrol (low compression) engines. Thermal efficiency is maximum for normally aspirated engines, or any engine for that matter, when cylinders are fully filled with air fuel mixture.
Why is that? Is because the thermal efficiency of internal combustion engines increases with the true/actual compression. If the cylinder is only partially filled then the actual compression is lower and efficiency is lower.
This argument does not apply for turbo diesel engines, they always work close to the maximum compression.
I stand by my comment, the science behind using more engine load to get better fuel efficiency is well documented. Incidentally it is one of the economy methods used by the guys who drive mpg marathons. I can't see how optimising engine loading for best fuel efficiency doesn't apply to turbo engines. We still have a Brake Specific Fuel Consumption map and the revs and load we use under the peak torque curve can make all the difference to how economical our acceleration is.

Too low a load in our turbo engines and we move away from best point consumption. Engine efficiency is not good, neither is our fuel consumption, our BSFC map tells us that at a glance.

Plus we are talking of time in lower gears, at less efficient engine loads if we don't work the engine enough. I'm not talking about WOT and high revs, but using loads that reduce g/kW-Hr (plus time factor) based on our BSFC map.

The point of the original comment, driving Miss Daisy style, compared to someone making a bit more progress, doesn't mean the faster driver is using more fuel. Acceleration loads closer to best point BSFC and getting into top gear more quickly, can be as (or more) economical.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2014, 12:27 PM   #21
Johnny Grabble
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 530d

The OBC tends to be less accurate than brim to brim measurements in my experience. You can go into the menu and change the OBC calibration so it more closely matches brim to brim measurements though.
You could if you wanted use the correction factor in the hidden menu to make the quoted MPG the same as the actual MPG.

Here's how:
1. Hold down the odometer reset button and turn the ignition on by pushing start/stop button.
2. Release the odometer reset button, and you should see a menu of 4 items on the dashboard. From here on, use the odo-reset button to advance to the next entry through a short press, and to select through a long press.
3. Choose the one that says Unlock through the above, which will take you to a passkey screen. Your passkey is the sum of the last 5 digits of your VIN. Increment the two-digit number until you get to it, and with the long press of the odo button, select it.
4.then scroll down to correction factor and modify it from 1000 to whatever you require, mine is at 964 and it's now almost spot on every fill up.

Standard factor is 1000 going up above 1000 reduces the mpg on the dash, below 1000 increases the mpg reading.

I got this from someone else but it worked for me. The OBC on mine was 5 - 7% optimistic, so I changed it from the default setting of 1000 up to 1060 (so -6%) and now the OBC is rarely more than 1% away from the brim to brim measurement.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2015, 06:59 AM   #22
CraigUK
Captain
Rep

To continue this boring thread, I was bored this morning on my way to work and tried to see what I could eek out of eco pro mode. How sad! Impressive all the same though

[IMG][/IMG]
Appreciate 0