2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum 2011 5-Series Sedan and GT Fall Updates Revisited (Beginning September Production)

09-08-2010, 06:08 PM   #1
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Arrow 2011 5-Series Sedan and GT Fall Updates Revisited (Beginning September Production)

> Reported on 5POST HOMEPAGE.

BMW Model Year 2011 Fall Update

* Sept. 8, 2010
* Press Release

Woodcliff Lake, N.J., September 8, 2010... For most BMW models, the 2011 model year began in spring 2010. Below, we outline each of the 2011 models including the changes that will take place from September production.

BMW’s new inline-6 gasoline engine.

Beginning with model year 2011 production, several BMW models (135i, 335i, 535i, 535i Gran Turismo, X5 xDrive35i, and X6 xDrive35i) will switch to the new, single twin-scroll turbocharged inline-6 “N55” engine. The newest BMW inline-6 engine is the first BMW inline-6 to combine turbocharging, High Precision direct fuel injection, and Valvetronic variable intake technology. It features a single, mid-sized turbocharger with a “twin-scroll” housing to boost performance and minimize the response lag. Together, this combination produces the same at 300hp and 300 lb-ft of the previous N54, but the fuel efficiency improves and the emissions are reduced.

A further advantage of turbocharging is that this is the most weight-efficient method to boost engine power and performance. The N55 turbocharged inline-6 weighs approximately 150 lbs. less than an equally powerful eight-cylinder engine displacing 4.0 liters. This lower weight means a significant advantage not only in fuel economy, but also in balancing the car's weight distribution.

Using Valvetronic for the first time on a turbocharged inline-6 allows the engine to “inhale” air for combustion with virtually no delay and with reduced pumping losses. As a result, the engine makes power more quickly than ever before, and this is proven by the N55’s ability to reach peak torque at 1200rpm, 200rpm earlier than its twin-turbo predecessor [N54].

Packaging is better for the new engine, as the BMW Digital Motor Electronics (DME) control unit is now mounted directly to the engine, shortening the required wiring harness length and providing more efficient cooling to the DME through the use of intake air. Furthermore, using a single turbocharger means only a single exhaust stream must find its way to the catalytic converter, so only a single catalytic converter is used on the new engine. The single catalytic converter can be activated more quickly at cold start than the preceding twin-catalyst configuration, so the new engine has a cleaner cold start emissions signature than its predecessor. The new “N55” engine will be installed in the 135i Coupe and Convertible, the 335i Sedan, Coupe and Convertible (excludes 335is models), the new 535i Sedan when it arrives this summer, the 535i Gran Turismo arriving this spring and finally, the X5 xDrive35i and X6 xDrive35i Sports Activity Vehicles® starting with April production.

2011 BMW 5 Series Sedan

The world debut of the new BMW 5 Series Sedan marks the epitome of modern design and driving pleasure in the world of premium midsize sedans. Through its athletic and executive looks, driving dynamics typical of BMW, and innovative comfort and safety features, the sixth generation of BMW’s executive express accurately reflects the standards upheld by the world’s most successful manufacturer of premium cars.

With the longest wheelbase in the segment, a long and sleek hood, short overhangs, and a coupe-like roofline, the new BMW 5 Series Sedan stands out clearly from the competition. Overall, the aesthetic looks of the car are achieved through balanced proportions. Design features emblematic of BMW are to be found at the front with its kidney grille inclined slightly forward, in the stylish and elegant side view of the car, and at the muscular rear.

Within the interior, precise functionality and a fresh ambience come together in perfect harmony, unmistakable style, and clear orientation to the driver. Highly advanced drivetrain and suspension technologies combine agile handling for the driver and a high standard of riding comfort for passengers. When equipped with the Sport Package, the new BMW 5 Series Sedan includes Adaptive Drive, which encompasses Driving Dynamics Control, Electronic Damper Control, and Active Roll Stabilization. Optional Integral Active Steering will virtually extend or shorten the vehicle’s wheelbase for improved stability at high speeds and enhanced agility at lower speeds.

The new BMW 5 Series Sedan is currently available with V-8 and inline-6 gasoline engines. The top-of-the-range BMW 550i is equipped with BMW’s “reverse-flow” V-8 engine featuring twin turbochargers and High Precision direct injection for maximum output of 400 hp. The new inline-6 of the BMW 535i (see Page 1) features a single twin-scroll turbocharger, High Precision direct injection, and, combined for the first time with turbocharging, Valvetronic throttle-less intake technology. It delivers a maximum output of 300 hp and 300 lb-ft. The 535i and 550i are available with a choice of 6-speed manual transmission, and BMW’s new 8-speed automatic transmission, or “Sport Automatic” 8-speed.

The third variant of the 5 Series lineup is the 528i, featuring a 240 hp inline-6 with lightweight magnesium-aluminum construction and Valvetronic throttle-less intake technology for efficiency and unparalleled responsiveness. The 8-speed Steptronic automatic transmission is standard on the 528i. MSRP for the 528i is $45,425, including $875 Destination & Handling.

Beginning with September production, xDrive will be available on the top two 5 Series models, with pricing for the 550i xDrive and 535i xDrive at $52,775 and $62,875 respectively.

The M Sport Package returns to the 5 Series delivering performance and style for the most enthusiastic of BMW drivers. The package adds a number of M style visual cues to the Dynamic Handling Package. The M Aerodynamic Kit gives the 5 series a sportier and more aggressive look, while the M double-spoke light alloy wheels and performance run-flat tires (size 18” on the 528i and 19” on the 535i, 550i, 535i xDrive, and 550i xDrive) back up the look with impressive performance and handling. The M Steering Wheel adds to this package by providing the most ergonomic grip for confidence during dynamic maneuvers. To accentuate the M Sport package, the interior is fit with Aluminum Hexagon trim (wood available).

BMW EfficientDynamics technologies are featured in appropriate combinations on each model, including features such as Brake Energy Regeneration, Electric Power Steering, a gearshift point indicator, active cooling air flaps, and on-demand operation of engine accessory drives. Lightweight materials are used intelligently to balance the vehicle. Components such as doors, hood, front fenders, and suspension assemblies are made of aluminum.

The driver assistance systems offered with the new 5 Series include an all-new Parking Assistant, Top View cameras, and Frontal Collision Warning with application of the brakes when ordered with Active Cruise Control plus Stop & Go. Other driver assistance features available include Blind Spot Warning, Lane Departure Warning, a Head-Up Display, and BMW Night Vision with Pedestrian Detection.

2011 BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo

Entering its second model year, the 2011 BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo adds new facets to BMW’s Ultimate Driving Machine tradition and refines the concept of first-class travel. For the very first time, the attributes of an elegant sedan, a contemporary Sports Activity Vehicle and a classic Gran Turismo are masterfully melded into a single, harmonious vehicle concept.

New for 2011 are the xDrive all-wheel drive equipped 5 Series Gran Turismo models. The 535i xDrive Gran Turismo will be priced from $59,175 and the 550i xDrive Gran Turismo will be priced from $67,075, in each case a $2300 premium over the traditional rear-wheel drive models.

As a result of final confirmatory fuel economy testing, the highway and combined values for the 550i Gran Turismo have been increased by one MPG. This eliminates the gas guzzler tax on all 2011 5 Series Gran Turismo models.

The traditional European term Gran Turismo (Grand Touring) was first applied by Italian carmakers in the 1950s when they combined the performance, handling, and style of a 2-seat sports car with luxurious amenities and luggage room for each occupant. BMW’s new Gran Turismo nurtures this tradition in its own contemporary way, providing exceptional space, style, luxury, and comfort for four passengers, plus the performance and driving pleasure of a BMW.

Starting with September 2010 production, the 535i Gran Turismo will be available with xDrive, preserving the Gran Turismo’s high dynamic ability in all four seasons. This unique combination gives BMW’s newest 5 Series Gran Turismo a new level of performance and efficiency in the true spirit of BMW EfficientDynamics.

BMW’s signature corona rings feature LED technology and take on several functions: as parking lights, as an identifying element when the headlights are on, and as daytime running lights. The BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo interior combines space, luxury and stylish materials to create a premium ambiance. In the rear seats as well as up front, there’s a sense of generous space and comprehensive amenities, promoting relaxed and accommodating travel.

In standard form, the rear seating accommodates three passengers, with a 40-20-40 split of the backrest allowing for selective fold-down. In addition, the entire seat cushion can be adjusted 3.9-in. fore and aft and the individual backrest sections can be adjusted over a range of 15°-33°. Optional as part of the Luxury Rear Seating Package are individual, multi-adjustable power seats, separated by a center console with cupholders and a storage compartment.

Accompanying the variable seating accommodations is variable cargo capacity, ranging from an already generous 15.5 cu ft. in the sedan-style enclosed trunk to fully 60.0 cu ft. (DIN rating) with folded rear seats and SAV-style long cargo floor. A variable partition between the trunk and passenger compartments provides occupants with sedan-type climate and noise insulation even when the trunk is being loaded, yet moves with the seats when they are adjusted and folds flat when the greatest capacity is needed.

BMW EfficientDynamics

The Intelligent Way to Reduce Fuel Consumption and Emissions.

BMW’s commitment to reduce harmful emissions and help protect the environment is unique in the automobile industry. BMW applies its EfficientDynamics principles to each model by using lightweight components in key areas, new technologies for improved powertrain efficiency and more importantly, planned sustainability for the long term reduction of fuel consumption and emissions output.

A recent Environmental Defense report shows that BMW’s fleet average for CO2 emissions was reduced by 12% from 1990 - 2005 and its fuel economy improved by 14%, despite the introduction of many new passenger cars and light-duty trucks. This not only demonstrates our long-standing dedication to help the environment, but our ability to do so with every vehicle that wears the BMW roundel.

In this period of time, BMW has introduced many industry-leading technologies across its entire model range, such as Valvetronic throttle-less engine control, on-demand coolant and hydraulic pumps for reduced parasitic losses, and High-Precision Direct Injection. In 2009, BMW added two 50-state BMW Advanced Diesel models for an unprecedented combination of performance and low emissions. In some 2010 and 2011 models, BMW introduced Brake Energy Regeneration, Auto Start-Stop technology and two BMW ActiveHybrid models. It is our unending goal to develop technologies and vehicles designed to combine the efficiency our customers desire with dynamics and performance our customers expect.

BMW ConnectedDrive Innovations: Advanced on-board use of mobile phones and music players.

Beginning with September production there will be enhancements to BMW Assist with Bluetooth and the iPod/USB Adapter. These enhancements extend the functionality through improved integration of mobile devices into the vehicle. These new features are made possible by hardware advances. (All Models)

BMW Assist with Extended Bluetooth

The Bluetooth functionality is extended beyond hands-free and phonebook support with multiple innovations. Feature support is dependent upon compatibility with the mobile device.

RIM Smart Phone Integration
  • * Mobile Office: The industry-first mobile office integration of BlackBerry Smartphones, a customer can access email, text messages, and notes through the iDrive system providing seamless integration with the vehicle. Safety and avoiding driver distraction is paramount at BMW. In order to maintain the driver’s focus on the road, the vehicle’s voice control system (included with navigation) will read messages aloud via text-to-speech. The central screen will also display the only the first three lines of text. The full text can only be displayed when the vehicle is parked. Compatible BlackBerry hardware, firmware, and feature set will be announced later.
  • * vCard photo support: Images of contacts stored in your phonebook are downloaded from the device and shown on the vehicle display. When the mobile phone rings, a picture of the caller will appear on the vehicle display.
  • * External Call Lists: External call list handling downloads the “re-dial” and “received calls list” at every reconnect of the mobile device and after each call.
  • * Bluetooth Music Streaming: Bluetooth music streaming offers wireless audio streaming from the mobile device to the vehicle. Music stored on the mobile phone is played and controlled through the iDrive controller.

iPod/USB Adapter

· iPod One-wire integration: The iPod connection no longer requires the “Y-cable” for separate aux-input for sound. The iPod USB cable supplied with the iPod is all that is required to connect the device to the vehicle. The music is transferred directly from the iPod digitally to the sound system via the USB connection.· Album Cover Art: If cover art is contained in the metadata of a particular song, it will show on the vehicle display while the song is played.· Voice Control of Devices: The driver can control external devices and select genre, artist, album, and song title with the voice control system included with Navigation System.· Mobile Phone Device Driver Update: In combination with BMW Assist, the USB port can be used to upload new mobile phone and audio player device drivers. (Release timing for this feature and device driver availability are subject to change.)
Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2010, 06:40 PM   #2
Grizzles
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 M

Now i understand the smartphone integration, guess its worth $150.00.

wonder why the iphone isnt the smartphone of choice.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2010, 09:39 PM   #3
fireman550
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 550

I have smart phone integration and ha no idea it could do all of this. But neither did my sales rep. LOL...
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2010, 09:31 AM   #4
kplsoleil
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 eventually...

Helpful info thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2010, 12:26 AM   #5
brandonwal79
550 dinan s2 flyer
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i Dinan S2 premium 2

2011 550i Dinan info needed

I'm buying the 550i 2011 and am thinking of getting dinan involved right off the bat since i'm looking at this 550 as a very solid buy for $70k fully loaded. Adding $2500 to get 100 hp and 123 ftlb seems like a great mod.

I'm interested in anyone that has experience with the dinan stage 1 on the 2011 550i. The car comes with 400 hp and 450 ft and dinan claims an increase to 496 hp and 573 ft torque.

So that is 24% increase in HP and 27% in torque. I dont' know the 0-60 on the 550 i think they say 4.8 sec at BMW, but they generally are quite conservative with their numbers... Also looking for the 1/4 mile times on the non-tuned and tuned 550i 2011.

How dramatic will the speed difference be and does anyone have the times?

I'm not much of a gearhead so i know my auto grammar isn't very good.

-b
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2010, 04:25 PM   #6
lawbuz
Rep
Drives: 535

Is the new, single twin-scroll turbocharged inline-6 “N55” engine referenced at the top of this page only available for September and beyond productions or all of the 2011 535is? I thought this was standard of all 535is automatic transmissions produced this year regardless of month? Please confirm.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2010, 05:56 PM   #7
kplsoleil
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 eventually...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawbuz View Post
Is the new, single twin-scroll turbocharged inline-6 “N55” engine referenced at the top of this page only available for September and beyond productions or all of the 2011 535is? I thought this was standard of all 535is automatic transmissions produced this year regardless of month? Please confirm.
Yes the N55 is standard for all 2011 535i and beyond.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2011, 02:52 PM   #8
asad mueed
Rep
Drives: bmw 523i f10

hi guys and ideas of getting any more power out of a 2010 f10 523i 2.5l petrol
engine and remaps deemed to be official
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2011, 01:16 AM   #9
deejaygee
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 320d M Sport

What is with you posting on every thread you've completely hammered the boards. Crawl away Loser!!
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2011, 02:46 AM   #10
KJeez
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 Bmw 550i

Garage List
2011 BMW 550i  [0.00]
they need to have an app to control the car, like remote start, check the cars stats, unlock and lock, just like GM just released. That I would pay 1000$ for.
Appreciate 0