2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes ECS swaybar kit review

08-17-2015, 03:58 PM   #1
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
ECS swaybar kit review

I ordered the kit a few months ago and initially only installed the rear bar. The front didn't happen because of wrong tools and the center torx bolts that broke one of my sockets it was tighten down so hard. Even with a breaker bar for leverage. I would venture to say it was over 120 ft lbs. I recently brought it to SoCal BMW Installs to help with the front and glad I did.

The rear was not difficult to undo just a little struggle of wiggling out the bar. Also a struggle of cork screwing in the new one.

After driving around with just the rear it did feel a little tighter on bends. Not as much rocking back and forth when coming out of a turn. A noticeable difference, but not dramatic. Lane changing at freeway speeds was slightly better, but again nothing to write home about. All that said the wobbling back and forth has diminished, but the boat feeling still exists. The boat feeling is the springs I get that and didn't expect the sway bars to fix that. However, reducing the back and forth gives the car more control.

2 months later got the front installed and was hoping for another bump in terms of side to side control. Which I did, but let me explain the pain in the butt it was to install the front. When you're under the car it looks pretty straight forward, but the challenge was those center bolts and the links to line up to the new bar. The center torx bolts are different lengths so pay attention to that when reinstalling. Getting them off requires he-man strength just to get them to break loose. Once you've accomplished that you need a impact wrench to finish the job. Also glad I didn't do this with just my one 2 ton jack. You should prop up both sides of the car on stands. You need that kind of room to position your body to undo those bolts. Once that was off and the new M5 bar in place you'll notice that it doesn't seem to line up. This is because the links are about 6 inches from the hole in the swaybar. We thought we had it in backwards, but we didn't. You have to have 2 people to finish the job. One to to put a pry bar against the sway bar leveraged against the control arm and another person pressing up on the sway bar and attempting to get the end link bolt to get into the sway bar hole. Once you have it in the nut will tighten it all together. PITA!

Driving around with it finally installed, there has been a very mild increase in the side to side rocking motion. I would venture to say that the rear had a more noticeable difference then fronts. Where it is very noticeable is coming out of a driveway into the street and the car settles almost immediately. Freeway speeds I would say it's helped mildly with lane changes, but nothing worth praise. It's better, but not a mod that is first on the list. The rear is a must. All together the difference in rocking back and forth has been reduced and I am happy with the mod. I'm hoping it will be more impressive with a spring combo.

If I had to do it again I would of got the springs first. It's one of those cherry on top mods. It helps but not dramatic. It's in between mild and medium in terms noticeable changes for sway. The price fits the mod as long as you don't get raped on the install cost. [IMG][/IMG]
Attached Images

535i MIssion Performance, PS2, Helix HPFP Kit, Wagner FMIC, Spec 3 clutch, Steel SMF, Wolf Racing CP, UUC SSK, GFB dv, SprintBooster, Custom Dynomax Exhaust, M5 Sways, Eibach OE Springs, Koni Sports Adjustable, Custom Short Ram CAI

IG: @bmwdoubles
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2015, 11:13 PM   #2
exia_m3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 ZCP MW/SO

Garage List
2013 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2017 F80 M3  [0.00]
good write up!
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2015, 07:36 AM   #3
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Nice write up even tho all the headaches u went through!
Appreciate 0