2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs Ceramic/SiO2 Coating on Wheels? - what did you use? how did you like it?

07-26-2017, 04:14 PM   #1
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

Ceramic/SiO2 Coating on Wheels? - what did you use? how did you like it?

Just wondering what ceramic coatings some of you may have used. I'm thinking things like Gtechniq C5, Opti-Coat, etc...

Looking to do my 351M and 237 wheels with something for protection and easy cleaning instead of just the synthetic wax I've been using.

Last edited by Surly73; 07-26-2017 at 08:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2017, 12:00 AM   #2
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

i never got around to try some of the ceramic coatings out there but i use Dr Beasley's Matte wheel sealant and love it! brake dust and grime and dirt wash off easily. i've only heard good things with Opti-Coat

~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2017, 06:26 PM   #3
xxpanipuri
Major
Rep
Drives: 550i

i used the wolfgang uber ceramic coating, did the application myself.

been happy with it so far coming up on a year in September.

easy to apply

key thing is prep prep prep, make sure surface is as perfect as possble before applying coating...
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2017, 07:17 PM   #4
gabypr
First Lieutenant
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 2015 F10 535i

Garage List
My detailer applied to my 535i IGL Ceramic Coating. I have also know others use CQuartz which is very popular.

CQuartz UK 3 Ceramic Coating | GeoShield Pronano 50% Ceramic Window Film | M5 M Perf Steering Wheel | M6 Comp Pkg Mufflers | M Perf Floor Mats | CF Spoiler | RW CF Quad Setup Diffuser | RW CF Front Lip | CF Trim | BMW Interior Leds | M5 343 Wheels | Pure Stg 2 Turbo
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2017, 08:44 AM   #5
Quicksilv3r
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 535i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
i never got around to try some of the ceramic coatings out there but i use Dr Beasley's Matte wheel sealant and love it! brake dust and grime and dirt wash off easily. i've only heard good things with Opti-Coat

With all that gear you've bought, you mean to tell me you've never tried a ceramic coating!? It's time to take it to the next level homie, I promise you'll never look back

At first I was hesitant as well - mostly intimidated by the application process, which I later found to be exceedingly easy to master. Before I used it, I was re-correcting panels after nearly every wash, or about twice a month to clear up everything from water spots to light towel scratches and restore the deep black finish. Major PITA as it made an otherwise 1hr. freshen-up more like a 4-5hr. ordeal.

Even though ceramics flash almost instantaneously after application, it's best to try and keep it out of the rain for at least a week to ensure the coating has properly cured/hardened (in this heat it doesn't take long), then it's recommended that you don't wash the car for 2-4 weeks. As always, avoid washing the car in the hot sunlight with hard hose water if you can help it - hard water can still create small water spot etchings in the ceramic coating if you're not careful with this, but rain water will not. I use Wolfgangs version as OptiCoat products are not available to consumers - it's only provided to professional detailers or "installers" which of course will charge a premium for the application.

http://www.autogeek.net/wolfgang-ube...c-coating.html

Use these to apply the coating to ensure smooth/even/resistance-free application:

http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-coating-applicator.html

To the OP: Any ceramic coating brand will work on wheels, they all essentially work the same way, but I understand there is a molecular difference in hardness with the higher quality versions like OptiCoat. You can put this stuff on most every surface on the car.
      07-28-2017, 11:49 AM   #6
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilv3r View Post
With all that gear you've bought, you mean to tell me you've never tried a ceramic coating!? It's time to take it to the next level homie, I promise you'll never look back

To the OP: Any ceramic coating brand will work on wheels, they all essentially work the same way, but I understand there is a molecular difference in hardness with the higher quality versions like OptiCoat. You can put this stuff on most every surface on the car.
Interesting! So basically this is a paint seal which the car needs to be paint correction already? I may have to give this a try. 15cc's covers 3 cars so I'm thinking it's enough to do the wheels too?
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2017, 12:17 PM   #7
cdmulders
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 535xi

Garage List
Quote:
Interesting! So basically this is a paint seal which the car needs to be paint correction already? I may have to give this a try. 15cc's covers 3 cars so I'm thinking it's enough to do the wheels too?
Well, my 15cc of Wolfgang ceramic was just enough to do my F10 and my wife's E89 (Z4), with a little left over for wheels, but yes, definitely enough to do a car and its wheels.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2017, 02:56 PM   #8
Quicksilv3r
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 535i M-Sport

Quote:
Yes sir, this is applied after the paint correction process and effectively acts as an additional level of clear coat that bonds to the surface of whatever you're applying it to. Goes on clear and flashes immediately. Use clean MF towel to dry buff 1-2min after application to prevent any streaking. Can be removed with a black pad and some finishing polish if needed. You can also apply wax or sealant on top of the coating once it's cured but I'm not sure why you'd need to - use a red or gold pad and a PC speed no greater than 3.5 to apply anything on top of the coating. The stuff makes the surface ultra hydrophobic. Search some of the YouTube videos of it in action, it's pretty amazing.
      08-15-2017, 11:15 AM   #9
xxpanipuri
Major
Rep
Drives: 550i

Quote:
i used this as well, and been super impressed with it!

i can foam the car and rinse it (for regular maintenance wash) and then wipe it down with a good quick detailer (I use kenotek)

the uber ceramic coating was super easy to apply. I used it on every inch of my car, except for my wheels, which hopefully i'll do soon.

key thing is to get the paint as perfect as possible before applying. but man once its cleaned after a coating, the depth is just amazing.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2017, 11:03 AM   #10
Johngm45
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 535xi m sport

I am going to apply c quartz to my sons AG wheels incoming. I applied Gtechnic to my wheels and one of the wheels has two large stains on one wheel so I guess I didn’t let it cure properly ..
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2017, 11:33 AM   #11
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

I ended up getting C5, which is on my winter wheels right now. I will polish my 351M and apply C5 to those over the winter.
Appreciate 0