2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding Rear Seat Entertainment

03-05-2012, 02:20 PM   #1
ajohansen
Norway
Rep
Drives: F11 520d

Question Rear Seat Entertainment

Hi.
A couple of weeks ago I got my F11 520d. I have the rear seat entertainment system. I cannot figure out how to display separate videos on the two screens. Do you know if this is possible at all, or do the two screens have to watch entertainment from the same source? It is not the professional system, but the basic one.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 05:46 PM   #2
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajohansen
Hi.
A couple of weeks ago I got my F11 520d. I have the rear seat entertainment system. I cannot figure out how to display separate videos on the two screens. Do you know if this is possible at all, or do the two screens have to watch entertainment from the same source? It is not the professional system, but the basic one.
Your front idrive monitor can play a DVD from the 6 DVD auto changer and your rear screens can get a different video from the rear DVD player.

The front idrive screen and the rear screens can all watch any video displayed on the front idrive screen.

Only the rear screens can watch the rear DVD player.

Now, to split the front audio or video from the rear you need to select headphones for the rear. Otherwise, the front or rear will use the loudspeakers. You can prioritize who has primary control.

Now, to answer your question, if you have video playing on both rear screens you can plug a composite video cable into the left or right video input. Then, this video will play on the one screen and the other screen will display the in-car source DVD.

You can also select the a single composite video play on the primary screen or both screens.

For an idea, search my name under the 7 series group on setting up an iPod. It works really well for the rear.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2012, 05:31 PM   #3
ajohansen
Norway
Rep
Drives: F11 520d

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWrules7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajohansen
Hi.
Your front idrive monitor can play a DVD from the 6 DVD auto changer and your rear screens can get a different video from the rear DVD player.

The front idrive screen and the rear screens can all watch any video displayed on the front idrive screen.

Now, to split the front audio or video from the rear you need to select headphones for the rear. Otherwise, the front or rear will use the loudspeakers. You can prioritize who has primary control.

Now, to answer your question, if you have video playing on both rear screens you can plug a composite video cable into the left or right video input. Then, this video will play on the one screen and the other screen will display the in-car source DVD.

You can also select the a single composite video play on the primary screen or both screens.

For an idea, search my name under the 7 series group on setting up an iPod. It works really well for the rear.
Thanx alot!
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2012, 06:45 AM   #4
M5 TT
Captain
Scotland
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWrules7 View Post

I have looked through all your posts but cant find it

I intend fitting rear screens. Just the BMW ones that fit onto the headrest polls. Is there a video out on the 6 dvd player in my dash I can tie into so I can watch what is being played on the idrive screen on the rear screen?
      03-07-2012, 09:48 AM   #5
lindros2
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535i M-S

why not just get iPads with permanent/fixed mounts (and removeable iPads of course).

BMW CCA # 493835
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2012, 12:06 PM   #6
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Sorry, I did not mean to make you search so hard. Here is the link...

My kids use this all the time and it is much faster than the DVD system. For one thing they can watch youtube via intergrated 4G hotspot. For another thing, watching on movies on the ipad is so much faster because you don't have to wait for the FBI screens or the slow DVD menu systems.

http://www.7post.com/forums/showthre...highlight=ipod

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmc View Post
I have looked through all your posts but cant find it

I intend fitting rear screens. Just the BMW ones that fit onto the headrest polls. Is there a video out on the 6 dvd player in my dash I can tie into so I can watch what is being played on the idrive screen on the rear screen?
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2012, 12:14 PM   #7
M5 TT
Captain
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindros2 View Post
why not just get iPads with permanent/fixed mounts (and removeable iPads of course).
I did think of that. This may be a strange statement but they are to useful and as such I am sure they would never be in the car when you need them. If i buy the tv's they are only a tv and will be left in the car. Plus TV's are £300 2 ipads are £600
      03-07-2012, 12:41 PM   #8
M5 TT
Captain
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWrules7 View Post
Sorry, I did not mean to make you search so hard. Here is the link...

My kids use this all the time and it is much faster than the DVD system. For one thing they can watch youtube via intergrated 4G hotspot. For another thing, watching on movies on the ipad is so much faster because you don't have to wait for the FBI screens or the slow DVD menu systems.

http://www.7post.com/forums/showthre...highlight=ipod
Thanks for the link. looks like I need to get my dvd out of the dash and see what it has in the way of outpus. like you say BMW tell you nothing