2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK Ultra Low Emission Zone London

05-15-2016, 11:08 AM   #1
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

Ultra Low Emission Zone London

Re this :
http://www.theguardian.com/environme...zone-pollution

This is going to affect a lot of people. I think as a general rule, probably most cars over about 3 years old are going to fall foul of this.

Whilst air quality could be better , (I don't think anyone is going to disagree with this), there is going to be a huge financial impact to a lot of people.

Not so long ago we were encourage to buy diesels as they pushed out less CO2. Your Road tax was lower if you produced less CO2. Now that a lot of people have moved to diesel( and I'd guess probably 90% plus of all 5 series are diesel in this country) we are now being penalised for that decision.

the latest 5 diesels are EU6 compliant, my 2012 model though isn't (EU5). EU6 was an option at the time - it had only just come out and my dealer didn't know what it was. think that was an option in retrospect that perhaps I should have gone for, it was £995 though.

If we sell our cars, the resell value will drop as no one will want to buy a car that you are going to be charged for everyday you are in the zone.

We'll have to see how this pans out.

Thoughts / comments?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2016, 06:09 AM   #2
Andehh
Rep
Drives: BMW f10 530d 11

Yep, not happy about this! Especially for the reason you mention - Gov encouraged us all to buy diesels for years & then a total policy change which now heavily penalises all these drivers.

War on motorists all over again.
Appreciate 0