2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding F10 Lifetime GPS Map Updates? - What is the story on these?

10-11-2014, 07:13 PM   #1
longwood50
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 535 xdrive M sport

F10 Lifetime GPS Map Updates? - What is the story on these?

I have a 2012 BMW and the maps have not been updated. I have done some checking and found some sources that claim to give you a lifetime map update option for about $50.

One person on this forum said this is a pirated version and could be found out by the BMW dealership.

Has anyone used the lifetime maps? If so were there any problems.

From those out there more knowledgeable than me, what is the true story.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2014, 03:56 PM   #2
TJBentley
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 528xdrive

Never heard of it but interesting enough..curious what others will say
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2014, 06:33 PM   #3
ImSW1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10

From what I've seen you buy a lifetime FSC code from someone that can generate the FSC outside of the BMW system, then they try to charge you for access to the updated maps each year. Either way they try to get some money from you each year. The FSC and maps are definitely not sanctioned by BMW, but the savings could be as much as $350.00 going the non BMW route.

The only time you'll have trouble with BMW is if you have issues with you CIC or NBT and it has to be replaced. BMW may ask your service adviser how you have the newer maps in the CIC/NBT without an updated FSC showing in the BMW system. Who really cares, BMW just won't put the newer maps back into your CIC/NBT, but you can do it after you get the car back from them.

It looks like you have a 2012 (CIC), which means you could generate your own FSC with the software that is already available out on the internet. You can also pull the maps for free from GPSUnderground dot com. All it will cost you is the time to learn how to do it.

If you want to go the easier route I'd suggest you contact ShawnSheridan or Dracon. They can generate an FSC for you from your VIN for about $50.00 and get you links to the maps.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=777905

http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1007509

Sean

Last edited by ImSW1; 11-02-2014 at 06:44 PM..
Appreciate 0