2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding Picked Up My 550i Today - iPod Question

04-19-2013, 11:32 PM   #1
VirtualMayhem
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

Question Picked Up My 550i Today - iPod Question

Hello,

I picked up my 550i today (will post some pics tomorrow) and can't seem to get my iPod touch to be recognized when I plug it into the center console with the Y adapter I bought from the parts department. I read through several threads here and didn't see a definitive answer on if this is supposed to work. When I move to the Aux selector in i Drive it says:

Title information not supported by Aux Device.

I can only adjust the volume output of the Aux device, can't select tracks, etc.

I was expecting to be able to use iDrive to select songs off the iPod but in order to play any music I have to select it from the iPod Touch and not via the iDrive controls. That's a pain to have to fumble around that in the center console. I thought perhaps it was because I have one of the original iPod Touches but even a 4th generation Nano plugged in exhibits the same behavior.

Streaming songs from my iPhone 4s to the car works great. I just keep a ton of music on the iPod and would just like to leave it in the car.

Anyone have some suggestions?
2018 M5 In Singapore Gray Metallic | Black Full Merino Leather | Dark Aluminum Carbon Structure Interior | Executive Package | Driving Assistance Plus | 20" Double Spoke Black Wheels | Apple CarPlay | Bowers & Wilkins Audio | Black Kidney Grills | Carbon Fiber Front Splitter | Carbon Fiber Rear Spoiler | M Carbon Rocker Panels | Carbon Fiber Read Diffuser
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2013, 08:02 PM   #2
VirtualMayhem
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

I figured it out, 2013 vehicles only need the standard apple cable that came with the iPod. Using that the idrive controls work and album art appears. Very nice!
2018 M5 In Singapore Gray Metallic | Black Full Merino Leather | Dark Aluminum Carbon Structure Interior | Executive Package | Driving Assistance Plus | 20" Double Spoke Black Wheels | Apple CarPlay | Bowers & Wilkins Audio | Black Kidney Grills | Carbon Fiber Front Splitter | Carbon Fiber Rear Spoiler | M Carbon Rocker Panels | Carbon Fiber Read Diffuser
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2013, 03:25 AM   #3
mdrobc13
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Made in Bavaria

Garage List
2021 BMW X3e  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [9.00]
Okay was going to tell you..you should just need a regular iPod cable from apple or any aftermarket store. Take the Y cable back to your parts department and get your money back. It was used for early iDrive cars (my 2008 e92 M3 needed one) and was supplanted I think in MY-2011 I think. My wife's Porsche has i drive and just uses the single cord/connector OEM also. Much cheaper and easier and her's is in pink which adds flare to her interior! LOL
'10 BMW X5M (Black/Black) - gone not forgotten
'08 BMW M3 (Space Gray/Black) - gone not forgotten
Appreciate 0