2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Not happy with my 535d MSport

05-04-2011, 08:00 AM   #45
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious View Post
I'm a newbie to this forum. I have quite recently put a deposit down on a new 530d m sport. I have been searching the forums for a report on the m sport variant (without adaptive drive). Plusman, I have found your post very helpful in that regard. It leaves me a bit worried 'though about whether, after my current coupe which has been a wonderful car to drive, I'm going to be dissatisfied with the lack of feedback on the steering. I had a short test drive on an m sport and found it infinitely better to drive than the SE, which actually left me cold. Plusman, with the benefit of hindsight, would you still have ordered the F10? Is the car fluid on bends but with a bit of body roll or does it feel unwieldy? Is the vagueness of the steering spoiling your enjoyment of the car? Did you consider the AD option? How long have you had the car?

A reply would be greatly appreciated.
Get the "M Sport" 3 way adjustable suspension, this adjusts Chassis,Steering and or Gear change speeds. You will not regret it.
      05-04-2011, 08:08 AM   #46
plusman
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: 2019 3-Series (G20)

Curious:

Am I happy with the car - Yes. I've had it since mid-Feb 2011.

The suspension is definitely better (in terms of the fact that it doesn't give as much bone jarring as the E60 M-sport did) but with a bit more body roll. It still can fly through corners, but just with not the same level of feedback as before. One of the differences I think you will notice is the size of the steering wheel compared to the E92/E93 - it is, I think, bigger and that does reduce the level of involvement, as well as the electronic steering which does give more vagueness.

I didn't consider AD as previous reports I read about it suggested that it made the steering even more vague; and VDC was just too expensive to add to a 520d (might have considered it if I'd been going for a 535d). That's also why I went for the normal auto rather than the sports-auto.

I went for the 520d rather than the 530d this time for lower emissions and better fuel consumption. Under most cases I don't notice much difference in the power. It still pulls away, cruises, and overtakes nicely. I only notice the power difference really if i'm pulling away fast from the lights - you don't get the same "whoosh" from the torque as you do in the 530d.

So overall at this stage I am very pleased with the car.

* Interior - much nicer than E60; still sparse & few buttons (which I like) but looks classier and feels more luxurious.
* Professional Sat Nav is better (larger screen, plus now has full postcode search)
* M-Sport suspension overall better (but more body roll)
* iPod/USB connectivity option (also recommend that you go for DAB - much better and also gives a bit of future proofing if they phase out analogue radio over the next few years)

Dislikes:
* I still haven't gotten used to the front of the car; it looks very big and bulky and the join lines between the different parts of the car (e.g. between the bonnet and the surround) are more visible. [The car also looks and feels much bigger than the E60 - which is good & bad]
* The fact that the electric towbar doesn't fully retract into the body of the car (minor gripe; but it shouldn't have been designed like that)

Hope these comments help.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2011, 09:12 AM   #47
rsyed
Lieutenant
Austria
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
I'm a newbie to this forum. I have quite recently put a deposit down on a new 530d m sport. I have been searching the forums for a report on the m sport variant (without adaptive drive). Plusman, I have found your post very helpful in that regard. It leaves me a bit worried 'though about whether, after my current coupe which has been a wonderful car to drive, I'm going to be dissatisfied with the lack of feedback on the steering. I had a short test drive on an m sport and found it infinitely better to drive than the SE, which actually left me cold. Plusman, with the benefit of hindsight, would you still have ordered the F10? Is the car fluid on bends but with a bit of body roll or does it feel unwieldy? Is the vagueness of the steering spoiling your enjoyment of the car? Did you consider the AD option? How long have you had the car?

A reply would be greatly appreciated.
There are 10 people here who claim to be happy with their m-sport/ias/19"-20"/rft-nonrft combination and there is 1 person claiming to be unhappy. obviously the 1 person who sticks out makes you insecure - questions is whether inputs from Indus can be applicable to 95% of the people driving the f10; remember his previous car is a m5 so he definitely has other expectations than most of us here.. and don't forget, a M is not just a normal car with a m-package and a monster engine; it is the suspension, the wider track the compliment the above..

i have owned e60s, e90, e71, e61 in the last 4 years - all except for the x6 (does not come with the m-suspension but i immediately swapped teh standard suspnsion for an eibach suspension) with the m-suspension - all i have to say for the f10: amazing comfort, nice and direct with teh IAS and non-rft 20" wheels... obviously not an niggly as the e90 but definitely very good considering the size of the car..

Insta: bmw.shitbox
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2011, 12:49 PM   #48
Curious
Rep
Drives: BMW 330D Coupe (E92)

Thanks for these helpful replies. Interesting about large size of steering wheel and it feeling less responsive as a result. it is disappointing that the retractable towbar is still slightly visible. I currently have a removable one on my E92 and whilst it's a slight hassle to remove and store at least nothing is showing when it's gone. These are relatively minor matters. However there have been a lot of posts about steering pulling to the right and also steering that needs constant adjustment at speeds of around 80mph on the motorway. Any experience of this? I was also concerned that I would find the m sport too hard riding, but it doesn't sound as if that will be a problem. My 330d coupe is quite firm actually, even on standard 17' wheels with early generation RFTs. Sounds like good advice on the DAB radio front. Might delete the Speed Limit Display option ( a bit superflous really) in favour of the DAB.

I can't justify paying over £2000 more for adaptive drive, ( primarily to reduce body roll) when I'm already paying extra for the m sport suspension, which would have to be deleted if I opted for AD.

My car goes into build in a couple of days, so no changes will be possible after that. Probably a good thing, as the decision is then out of my hands.

My current spec is:

Carbon Black
Oyster and black leather interior
Professional Media
Visibility Pack
Sports Auto gearbox
Standard 18" wheels,
Electric Towbar
Lumbar Support
Speed Limit Display (on way out)?

This is the last expensive car I'll be able to afford as I plan to give up work in three years, therefore I'm planning to keep this one a very long time. That's why I'm really keen to try to get it right. Fingers Crossed!
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2011, 01:17 PM   #49
stickypaws
Dictator
Rep
Drives: people crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by plusman View Post
Dislikes:
* I still haven't gotten used to the front of the car; it looks very big and bulky and the join lines between the different parts of the car (e.g. between the bonnet and the surround) are more visible. [The car also looks and feels much bigger than the E60 - which is good & bad]
The shut line of the bonnet is the biggest failure of the F10 design, imho. It's bizarre. I realize concessions needed to be made in the front end design due to pedestrian regulations, but other makes fall under the same guidelines and seem to have fared better in their design language. Aside from that, I do like the overall design and particularly the rear. Side profile however, is a bit too fat. However, a darker paint F10 option seems to mask all these shortcomings fairly well.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 11:45 AM   #50
plusman
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: 2019 3-Series (G20)

Curious:

I haven't noticed any problems with frequent steering corrections on the motorway - seems fine to me.

Part of the towbar is visible by ca. 2-3 cm when retracted - not a major issue but a bad design defect nonetheless. (I had a removable one on my previous E60 which stowed away completely; and the electric one on my E93 is not visible when retracted).

One other good point about the F10 that I forgot to mention is the Speed Limit button, that I think comes as standard. It actually is very handy for travelling around town or on roads where there are average speed cameras. You can set the speed limit (say 30mph) and it modifies the throttle response so that if you try and exceed the limit, the throttle becomes non-responsive (it is a wierd feeling as if the car has just run out of power). If you need to exceed the limit, then you just push the throttle further and you get the power (e.g. in an emergency). You just need to be careful if you are going downhill as momentum can bring you over the limit - though there is a chime after ca. 10-20 secs that tells you are over your set limit. Changing or cancelling the limit is very easy - just press the buttons on the steering wheel. It's a bit like cruise control, but giving you much more control over the speed, and is great in traffic through town.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 12:34 PM   #51
Curious
Rep

Quote:
Curious:

I haven't noticed any problems with frequent steering corrections on the motorway - seems fine to me.

Part of the towbar is visible by ca. 2-3 cm when retracted - not a major issue but a bad design defect nonetheless. (I had a removable one on my previous E60 which stowed away completely; and the electric one on my E93 is not visible when retracted).

One other good point about the F10 that I forgot to mention is the Speed Limit button, that I think comes as standard. It actually is very handy for travelling around town or on roads where there are average speed cameras. You can set the speed limit (say 30mph) and it modifies the throttle response so that if you try and exceed the limit, the throttle becomes non-responsive (it is a wierd feeling as if the car has just run out of power). If you need to exceed the limit, then you just push the throttle further and you get the power (e.g. in an emergency). You just need to be careful if you are going downhill as momentum can bring you over the limit - though there is a chime after ca. 10-20 secs that tells you are over your set limit. Changing or cancelling the limit is very easy - just press the buttons on the steering wheel. It's a bit like cruise control, but giving you much more control over the speed, and is great in traffic through town.
Hi Plusman. Thanks for the information about the steering and the speed limiter. I didn't know about that function.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 03:33 PM   #52
Diesel Jimmy
Registered
Rep
Drives: 535d F10

Have a new 535d m sport since April replacing a 2006 535d remapped by DMS. Am really disappointed with F10 in comparison from a driving experience perspective. dms have nt figured out the remap yet for the f10 but I hope it's soon as my 2006 535d would eat the f10 for breakfast!
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 04:00 PM   #53
EdM5
Colonel
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: G26 i4 M50 & E70 X5 Xdrive35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Jimmy View Post
Have a new 535d m sport since April replacing a 2006 535d remapped by DMS. Am really disappointed with F10 in comparison from a driving experience perspective. dms have nt figured out the remap yet for the f10 but I hope it's soon as my 2006 535d would eat the f10 for breakfast!
So what?
You're making a comparison between a remapped e60 535d and a stock f10 535d, doesn't say shit IMO.
      05-16-2011, 06:45 PM   #54
BMW3FXD
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d M-Sport (on order)

Could this problem relate to standard tyres?

Just went up to my dealer this evening and saw two seemingly identical 530d M-Sport Saloon F10's. Both new, unplated and being readied for collection. And both on identical M-Sport 19" rims.

However, strangely enough one was on Dunlop tyres and the other on Michelin!? Why the difference. Is this difference be to do with Active Steering or have BMW just switched manufacturer all of a sudden?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2011, 03:43 AM   #55
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Quote:
I just thought I'd share my thoughts.

I have a F10 520d M-Sport (normal auto box, no AD or VDC; so it is at whatever settings BMW set it at) which replaced my previous E60 530d M-Sport (also normal auto box, no AD or VDC). I also have a E93 330i M-sport Convertible (normal auto box, no AD or VDC).

One of the main issues I had with my old E60 was that the suspension was very, very stiff - bone-jarring stiff when driving over UK potholes. Also, in comparison with the E93, the E93 sport suspension was much softer and not as skittish over potholes compared to ther E60.

However the steering was very involving and direct with good feedback.

I find the M-Sport suspension in the F10 a lot softer and more forgiving than in the E60, and much prefer the F10 M-Sport suspension overall as . However this comes at the price of more body roll in corners; it is just not as sharp as the E60 was. It is however better than a 530SE F10 that I test drove last year - it seemed to have much more body roll; so the M-Sport suspension certainly sharpens it up.

As regards the steering, it is certainly much vaguer and less involving on the F10; not too bad on motorways, but you do notice it in the corners.

Overall though I am very pleased with the F10 - particularly the interior.

BTW have you noticed in the UK that the windscreen wipers are now "normal" i.e. they sweep towards the driver (RHD) side of the car; unlike in the past two 5-series version (E60 and E39) where they were set-up for LHD. However the sweep of the wipers still leaves a big area of the screen uncleared.
I've had my 535d MS sport auto, AD/VDC since September and I've been one of more vocal detractors of the steering. However, I'll be first to admit that, coming from an E92, my judgement was clouded and I'm pleased to note that I am gradually becoming more accustomed to the on-centre vagueness.
The two major plus points for me are: 1, the utterly sublime dual turbo engine/sport auto drivetrain and: 2, the AD/VDC - in sport or sport+ body roll all but disappears and it's amazing how such a large car can flick through a series of bends with such ease.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2011, 05:43 AM   #56
Terza
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW3FXD View Post
Could this problem relate to standard tyres?

Just went up to my dealer this evening and saw two seemingly identical 530d M-Sport Saloon F10's. Both new, unplated and being readied for collection. And both on identical M-Sport 19" rims.

However, strangely enough one was on Dunlop tyres and the other on Michelin!? Why the difference. Is this difference be to do with Active Steering or have BMW just switched manufacturer all of a sudden?
All car manufacturers always rely on more than one tyre supplier, that's absolutely normal.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 03:23 PM   #57
Curious
Rep

In my earlier post I'd said that I'd ordered a 530d m sport. I had driven the ordinary SE and didn't like it at all in terms of ride and handling. Very soggy. I was persuaded to go for the m sport after reader the Autocar report of the 535d m sport. I then realised that that car had adaptive drive fitted. Indeed it seems to be that when the car was launched most journalist were given cars with this option. This I'm sure was quite deliberate on BMW's part as they realised that cars with this expensive option simply drove and rode much better. I suspect Honest John in the Telegraph had the option fitted to his car when he lavished praise on its ride and handling. I'm now convinced that to order without the option would be a mistake where the option is available, namely on the 530 and above. I note that X5 drivers are very much same the same good things about adaptive drive in their forums, that it the feel of the car to a great extent. I've therefore cancelled my order and I've now ordered the following (if anyone is remotely interested):

530d SE
Imperial blue
18 inch V spoke 328 wheels
Oyster/black interior
Fineline anthracite wood
Sports auto
Media package professional
Loudspeaker professional
DAB radio
Telephone USB interface
Sports seats
Lumbar support
Sports steering wheel
Visibility pack
Retractable towbar
and, of course, Adaptive Drive

I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure!
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 03:30 PM   #58
Curious
Rep

Sorry about the typos in the above but you get the drift I think. Large improvement in driving pleasure reported with Adaptive Drive. Jaguar XF doesn't seem to need this for it to be a very good driver's car, although AD is now standard on the new XF S models. I think it's not good enough that the F10 so underwhelms when the option isn't fitted. The standard cars are expensive, they are BMWs and should drive better without having to rely on expensive electronics to sharpen things up.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2011, 02:05 PM   #59
GordonGecko
Enlisted Member
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW 530i SE Auto (E39)

Quote:
In my earlier post I'd said that I'd ordered a 530d m sport. I had driven the ordinary SE and didn't like it at all in terms of ride and handling. Very soggy. I was persuaded to go for the m sport after reader the Autocar report of the 535d m sport. I then realised that that car had adaptive drive fitted. Indeed it seems to be that when the car was launched most journalist were given cars with this option. This I'm sure was quite deliberate on BMW's part as they realised that cars with this expensive option simply drove and rode much better. I suspect Honest John in the Telegraph had the option fitted to his car when he lavished praise on its ride and handling. I'm now convinced that to order without the option would be a mistake where the option is available, namely on the 530 and above. I note that X5 drivers are very much same the same good things about adaptive drive in their forums, that it the feel of the car to a great extent. I've therefore cancelled my order and I've now ordered the following (if anyone is remotely interested):

530d SE
Imperial blue
18 inch V spoke 328 wheels
Oyster/black interior
Fineline anthracite wood
Sports auto
Media package professional
Loudspeaker professional
DAB radio
Telephone USB interface
Sports seats
Lumbar support
Sports steering wheel
Visibility pack
Retractable towbar
and, of course, Adaptive Drive

I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure!
Very nice (and sensible) spec in my view... in fact that is very close to what I have gone for.

I am waiting for build and delivery now... should be fun when it arrives!
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2012, 05:48 AM   #60
paulwebb50
Registered
Rep
Drives: 525d

F10 not driver car

I have to agree, my F10 has 2" of "free play" in the wheel, every corner follows a:

- take up slack
- turn into bend
- take up opposite slack
- mostly straighten up
- wait for car to settle
- move wheel back to centre

...and if the bend tightens or widens mid-way then the passengers get startled by the weaving and steering corrections.

BUT, my old 730d (with superchips conversion) was JUST BRILLIANT! BMW can make a car fun to drive, they just didn't bother with the new 5 series.

Enjoy the smart interior and Google browsing, just don't spoil it by pressing the START button
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2012, 03:01 PM   #61
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M-Sport

Is it mainly the VDC or the AD that improves ride & handling?
Appreciate 0