2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum BMW F10 DPF regen

01-23-2018, 01:52 AM   #1
Shakal
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

BMW F10 DPF regen

Hello,

I have BMW F10 530d since 2011. I had oil change half year ago and everything was ok until a few days ago, when I have seen high oil level in iDrive. According to my mechanic, this happen when car prepare diesel for a DPF regen, but maybe I stopped a car and regen cycle was interrupted. Result is I have diesel mixed with an oil, which can be very dangerous for the engine.

I would like to know, how can I know when BMW F10 is doing a DPF regen? I know I am not allowed to turn off a car when it is doing DPF regen, but how do I know when it is doing DPF regen? I havent seen any warning light..
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2018, 11:38 AM   #2
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakal View Post
I have BMW F10 530d since 2011. I had oil change half year ago and everything was ok until a few days ago, when I have seen high oil level in iDrive. According to my mechanic, this happen when car prepare diesel for a DPF regen, but maybe I stopped a car and regen cycle was interrupted. Result is I have diesel mixed with an oil, which can be very dangerous for the engine.

I would like to know, how can I know when BMW F10 is doing a DPF regen? I know I am not allowed to turn off a car when it is doing DPF regen, but how do I know when it is doing DPF regen? I havent seen any warning light..
There isn't a warning, although you may notice a few changes. When running my 330d there was a change in engine note, became gruff. Would hold lower gears to higher rpm, then there is the smell from the exhaust if you stop while regeneration is in progress. You may also note a slight drop off of mpg as you get close to regeneration time.

Oil dilution is your enemy, extra fuel injection is part of the heating phase of an active regeneration, to help heat the DPF for the burn off. The problem occurs due to interruptions in regeneration.

What sort of driving pattern do you have?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2018, 07:27 AM   #3
Shakal
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
There isn't a warning, although you may notice a few changes. When running my 330d there was a change in engine note, became gruff. Would hold lower gears to higher rpm, then there is the smell from the exhaust if you stop while regeneration is in progress. You may also note a slight drop off of mpg as you get close to regeneration time.

Oil dilution is your enemy, extra fuel injection is part of the heating phase of an active regeneration, to help heat the DPF for the burn off. The problem occurs due to interruptions in regeneration.

What sort of driving pattern do you have?
Thanks for reply. Currently mostly city driving and about 100 km per week on highway. Im more on highway at spring and summer..
Appreciate 0