2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Low RPM rattling, dealer clueless

09-23-2016, 04:22 AM   #1
Vihang Limaye
Rep
Drives: BMW 523i 2011 model

Low RPM rattling, dealer clueless

A little background:

My car: F10 523i no modifications. 2010-2011 model, done 44k Kms.
Not much used as it is a secondary option...so battery gets discharged quite a few times.

At 40K kms, oil level sensor gave message "measurement inactive, have it checked". Dealer replaced oil level sensor..Of course took a hefty amount but in vain.Then he said coils and DME is faulty and needs replacement but was not sure. The msg is still there and I ride with the orange light always ON.

At 43k Kms, this vehicle was recalled for Vanos bolt issue.

At 44K kms, I started getting typically dry marbles like rattling noise from engine around the VANOS / oil filter area above the belt.
Typically it starts with low rpm at below 1000 when idle.Above 2000, it seems gone.

Dealer said it "might" be...tensioner, idler pulley, timing chain setup, oil pressure or coils and DME. SO he is not sure and wants to replace it all.

I thought to check the oil level and oil filter, but no dipstick available. So manually drained oil to find 5 ltrs in the sump.Not yet opened the filter. But personally I have observed that till the engine is cold, the noise is less, as it goes beyond 100 Deg C, noise increases and sounds like a "Diesel engine"

Many Forum experts say, its the tensioner and belt or idler pulley. How can i be sure? I doubt the VANOS replacement thing and the tensioner.

Can someone please please help? I can post a video if needed.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2016, 11:44 PM   #2
Vihang Limaye
Rep

Update: The noise is most likely coming from the VANOS area. Can it be the bearings or seals? Should i approach BMW dealer and ask him straight away to change them?
Idler pulley , belt tensioner seems too quiet.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2016, 11:56 AM   #3
DaHeadlightGuy
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 DSB F10

Does it sound anything like this? If so prepare to buy a new engine. My engine was replaced. i suspected a vanos bolt failure bmw never admitted if it was vanos bolt failure but they said the bearings were bad as well. Luckily warranty covered the engine.

Appreciate 0
      10-02-2016, 04:17 AM   #4
Jrsimp78
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 535i se auto saloon

My N55 had a BMW recall on a vanos bolt , have you had this ?
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2016, 06:08 AM   #5
Vihang Limaye
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrsimp78 View Post
My N55 had a BMW recall on a vanos bolt , have you had this ?
O yes.....and I suspect they did something very wrong...I had no noise issues before that!...and they are not ready to even consider this.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2016, 07:35 AM   #6
Vihang Limaye
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHeadlightGuy View Post
Does it sound anything like this? If so prepare to buy a new engine. My engine was replaced. i suspected a vanos bolt failure bmw never admitted if it was vanos bolt failure but they said the bearings were bad as well. Luckily warranty covered the engine.

Hey thanks for the reference video.

Mine is a little different thing i guess... Watch this

Appreciate 0