2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK Ordered!

04-10-2014, 11:17 AM   #1
m@rk
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 520D SE

Garage List
Ordered!

So I never thought that I would be so depressed hitting the order button on a new car but there you go.

So the order has now been submitted for my new company car which is an F10 520D SE manual in Space Grey

Options:

NONE!!!

Just a case of waiting for it to turn up now and trying to work out how to offload a very expensive Audi A7 without loosing too much money

I am sure I will be asking loads of questions once it arrives
      04-10-2014, 02:26 PM   #2
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

why depressed?
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 03:25 PM   #3
swissfraser
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F13 640d

Man, I wish I had your problems!
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 03:36 PM   #4
xd
Rep
Drives: 525d Touring Xdrive

why despressed - company car = no worries only the tax advantage - at least its not the prius
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 05:06 PM   #5
m@rk
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by xd-white View Post
why despressed - company car = no worries only the tax advantage - at least its not the prius
Agreed this is a 1st world problem and a nice problem to have.

But I had (still have) a really nice car on my drive. The car I wanted to own and a car that beats a 520D on all fronts. It should do considering it cost twice that of a 520D.

But now I am forced to sell that car at a big loss to myself

Yes there are benefits (and that's what I am trying to concentrate on) but there are disadvantages as well. There will now be situations where I can't do things that I could do in my A7 (trips to IKEA come to mind). I love my music. One advantage of driving big miles is that I get a chance to listen to great music on my Bose sound system. I am guessing the base system in the 5 is not of the same standard as the Bose system in the Audi which makes those 5 hour drives less enjoyable. I could go on

So at a different time, this would be fantastic but it's the fact I am being forced to "trade down" with no benefit to myself that makes me depressed
      04-10-2014, 11:59 PM   #6
MickyD'bo
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 F31 335d xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by m@rk View Post
Agreed this is a 1st world problem and a nice problem to have.

But I had (still have) a really nice car on my drive. The car I wanted to own and a car that beats a 520D on all fronts. It should do considering it cost twice that of a 520D.

But now I am forced to sell that car at a big loss to myself

Yes there are benefits (and that's what I am trying to concentrate on) but there are disadvantages as well. There will now be situations where I can't do things that I could do in my A7 (trips to IKEA come to mind). I love my music. One advantage of driving big miles is that I get a chance to listen to great music on my Bose sound system. I am guessing the base system in the 5 is not of the same standard as the Bose system in the Audi which makes those 5 hour drives less enjoyable. I could go on

So at a different time, this would be fantastic but it's the fact I am being forced to "trade down" with no benefit to myself that makes me depressed
It's great to hear of a company so focused on making it's employees happy in their work. Hope they pay you bucket fulls of salary. I totally understand your pain. I would have walked out and I'm 100% serious.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 02:32 AM   #7
m@rk
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobbo9 View Post
It's great to hear of a company so focused on making it's employees happy in their work. Hope they pay you bucket fulls of salary. I totally understand your pain. I would have walked out and I'm 100% serious.
To be fair, for a while, the people in fleet just didn't get it.

After all, they were offering me a brand new BMW (or Audi) so why wouldn't I appreciate it?

So since Christmas my company has given me a new laptop (Lenovo X230), phone (iPhone 5S), a pay rise (not much but it's there) and now a free (in their eyes) car. All to help me perform better in my job.

What's not to like?

It's just a shame that somebody somewhere is missing the point about how this has a negative impact on my finances and my lifestyle
      04-11-2014, 03:48 PM   #8
GMTRB5
Private
Rep
Drives: 535d M Sport

Don't understand the mentality .. When I joined my company they also offered a choice of 8 vehicles and that was it.. crazy.. luckily I was able to influence the policy - we now offer pretty much any vehicle someone wants within financial bands, and if they want to upgrade they can contribute more towards it .. so now people have a choice of over 4,000 variants.. Some people didn't get it but I love cars so really pushed this through .. The feedback has been amazing and at no cost to the company ...
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 05:08 PM   #9
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Kubota GR1600

Totally agree, we have the same policy. Some people get a 3 series and will the remaining allowance get £150+ cash back and that pays the BIK tax.

Our monthly allowance ranges from £450 a month to £600 a month depending on grade.

Typically if you add options such as M-Sport plus the monthly payments are the same as an SE.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 07:36 PM   #10
Jocky Wilson
dArtist
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 520D Touring

At least you showed some self-respect and avoided the Pious!
      04-12-2014, 04:14 AM   #11
immx
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2012 520D SE Touring

As a national field & fleet manager for my company, it depends on the type of work and why you're getting a car. For our needs based fleet, they get what they are given, no choice whatsoever, chosen by me.

The perk based fleet, get compleatly free choice, just a budget.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2014, 04:36 AM   #12
m@rk
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by immx View Post
As a national field & fleet manager for my company, it depends on the type of work and why you're getting a car. For our needs based fleet, they get what they are given, no choice whatsoever, chosen by me.

The perk based fleet, get compleatly free choice, just a budget.
Yes

It's a tool, given because of the miles I do on business. The company does not class it as a perk or benefit.

BUT

Because the tax man does class it as a benefit (regardless of if I use it as such or not), I have to pay money out of my own pocket in the form of company car tax for the privilege. If it were not for the financial implication then I would be quite happy to take a Prius with the company logo all over it (and keep my existing car in the process)

Therefore if I don't use it for personal use as well it would be a good as a pay cut
      04-12-2014, 08:36 AM   #13
immx
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Leaglly that's not the tax policy, however it may be your company's policy. If the car is used for business purpose only, no private use or commuting at all, then there is no company car tax to pay. This would mean that you have to leave the car at your operating base/office at the end of each day and use your own car to go home.

However, if your company has a large fleet, doing this for each driver individually, they may look at as impractical, but I would speak to the fleet manager directly on this.

The fact Company car tax is actully called private use benefit in kind, says that if you don't use it for private use, you shouldn't pay it.

Hope that helps

P.s.

Have a look at this.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cars/company-cars-factsheet.pdf

Last edited by immx; 04-12-2014 at 08:40 AM.. Reason: Added link
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2014, 11:02 AM   #14
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Kubota GR1600

I am home based and only use the car for business use hence I pay no tax at all. If I used it privately the tax I would pay is £300 a month, not worth it when there is another car in the family.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2014, 03:32 AM   #15
CmdllbF11
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MY10 F11 520d SE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by m@rk
So I never thought that I would be so depressed hitting the order button on a new car but there you go.

So the order has now been submitted for my new company car which is an F10 520D SE manual in Space Grey

Options:

NONE!!!

Just a case of waiting for it to turn up now and trying to work out how to offload a very expensive Audi A7 without loosing too much money

I am sure I will be asking loads of questions once it arrives
Should have cheered yourself up with a few options!! You would/could have got up to A7 spec or near enough. I have a 520d F11 (Touring). Base system but very basey (tonal wise).

Best sound system I've ever had in a car. I don't think you'll be disappointed (tweak settings in Tone menu).

HDD for plenty of music (12.5gb) and professional media kit.

I'm sure you'll enjoy it...
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2014, 04:01 AM   #16
immx
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CmdllbF11 View Post
Should have cheered yourself up with a few options!! You would/could have got up to A7 spec or near enough. I have a 520d F11 (Touring). Base system but very basey (tonal wise).

Best sound system I've ever had in a car. I don't think you'll be disappointed (tweak settings in Tone menu).

I think the point was, his company car policy said he wasn't allowed ANY options, not even auto!
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2014, 04:46 AM   #17
CmdllbF11
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MY10 F11 520d SE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by immx
Quote:
Originally Posted by CmdllbF11 View Post

I think the point was, his company car policy said he wasn't allowed ANY options, not even auto!
Ah! I see. I just thought he chose no options. But surely the company would have allowed him to pay the extra!?? I suppose it depends on company's policy as to how fleet vehicles are issued but going from A7 to basic 520d is a bit of a stinger. Any way, I digress(!).
Appreciate 0