2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Trade up question! Need help!

11-19-2014, 12:59 PM   #1
Burstey
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 MW e92 M3

Trade up question! Need help!

Alright guys, I've never been over on this side of the forums, because I usually sit on the e92 forums. Back in May, I purchased what was basically my dream car (Mineral White 2011 BMW M3). Well at the time I thought I was getting a decent deal. I ended up paying around $44k and the car had around 49k miles with warranty up until 50k miles. Well this past weekend I hit 60k miles and the thought of something breaking down kind of hit me. I don't have any warranty on the car, and the more and more I drove it I realized it wasn't taken care of too well to begin with. There isn't anything major wrong with it, but just small things here and there. Well I decided to give the dealer a call to see what else they had there and there is a 2011 BMW 550XI M Sport with 39k miles that they would trade me straight up for. This car is stunning and is very clean. I do want to add that I am only 20 years old. I know some people go crazy over being spoiled and stuff, but I pay for everything on my own. I took a look at KBB and found that the 550 is worth a bit more than my M3. I've already took a look at some mods and I'm starting to get obsessed with the 550. I've been a huge fan of the M5 for quite a while and you can make the 550 look quite similar to almost even better. I really just need some opinions on what I should do or if anyone has a few thoughts to add. One thing I love about my M3 in the performance, and I've been told by a few guys that this 550XI has some decent power under it. If anyone has anything to add, please let me know! I am dying for some advice. Thank you all!
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2014, 02:11 PM   #2
ARKONE
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 458; '16 Escalade; '12 Z4

The 550 is a different beast than the M3. The M3 is a lot more performance orientated while the 550 is more of a powerful DD. If you are paying nothing out of pocket or a small amount, then go for it.

However, something you should know is the 2011 is prone to a lot of problems. Maintainence isn't expensive, it should be around $2,000 from 50k to 100k miles. But if something goes wrong you are screwed. My 2011 blew its fuel injectors. It is a known issue but BMW did not do a recall. Cost was north of $6500.

I'd say go for it, but here is somethings that are a must:

-CPO, or warranty till 100k
-Make sure it's loaded how you want. If you want a heads up display down the line, you're out of luck, unless you want to drop $3000+ for a retrofit....
-Mod it how you want!

The F10 has a lot of modding choices, but the 550 is the least friendly one. Intakes, downpipes and other performance enhancing stuff is a lot more common on the 535. If you buy a 550, there are no cheap performance upgrades other than a JB4.

While I get the feeling you might miss the M3 and the tight turns it does, I get the feeling you will like it here.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2014, 02:16 PM   #3
Pimpsy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5C

A test drive of the 550i will tell you everything you need to know. An M3 and a 550i are very different cars, and which is a better fit will come down to what you are really looking for in a vehicle.

Good luck with whatever you do!
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2014, 03:02 PM   #4
Burstey
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfa372 View Post
The 550 is a different beast than the M3. The M3 is a lot more performance orientated while the 550 is more of a powerful DD. If you are paying nothing out of pocket or a small amount, then go for it.

However, something you should know is the 2011 is prone to a lot of problems. Maintainence isn't expensive, it should be around $2,000 from 50k to 100k miles. But if something goes wrong you are screwed. My 2011 blew its fuel injectors. It is a known issue but BMW did not do a recall. Cost was north of $6500.

I'd say go for it, but here is somethings that are a must:

-CPO, or warranty till 100k
-Make sure it's loaded how you want. If you want a heads up display down the line, you're out of luck, unless you want to drop $3000+ for a retrofit....
-Mod it how you want!

The F10 has a lot of modding choices, but the 550 is the least friendly one. Intakes, downpipes and other performance enhancing stuff is a lot more common on the 535. If you buy a 550, there are no cheap performance upgrades other than a JB4.

While I get the feeling you might miss the M3 and the tight turns it does, I get the feeling you will like it here.
Thank you very much for that response! It will cost me $0 as this will be a trade straight up. That's what really caught my attention. As far as mods go, I really only want to do cosmetic exterior mods for looks, because this is a DD all year long. I'm not sure on the HUD, but I feel like it won't really matter to me because I've never had it before. I think I might take the deal and try it out, because the car is honestly worth more than mine, but my family and myself have bought multiple cars from them so they were willing to help me out a little bit. I get to test drive the car Saturday morning and will most likely decide on the spot.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2014, 10:29 PM   #5
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

I think you'll regret it.

The 550xi is a very nice DD... but I can say that after driving 3-series cars for 13 years or so. I would have respected the 550xi in my 20's, but I can tell you - I wouldn't have wanted to drive it. It's targeted at the 30 - 50 something crowd... a spouse, maybe a kid or two. Honestly, it's a pretty big car. Get behind the wheel from your M3 and you'll feel it immediately.

I don't mind it, though, because I had more than a decade of small, nimble 3-series, and I have a dedicated "fun car" to make up for what I lost going from a 3 to 5. The 5 will feel large and nowhere near as nimble. Yes, it's powerful in a straight line - but it's the equivalent to a land yacht type of power, not a sports car.

Do I enjoy it? Absolutely. It's VERY comfortable, fits 4 adults nicely, has tons of nice luxury features, and the fit-and-finish (along with technology) is miles above anything in the 3-series class. So, if you value those things, it's a great car. But at 20, I can't imagine those are your priorities... especially coming from an M3.

If your biggest concern is your warranty running out, why not just get into a newer 3-series? My 335 was a GREAT car - small, fast, nimble - it won't be an M3, but it'll give you the trade-off you're looking for on warranty coverage while not completely sacrificing sporting abilities. I don't mean to make the 5 sound like an "unsporty" car - it's quite sporty for a car of its size and class - but it's just not going to compare well with an M3 or a nicely tuned standard 3-series.

I'd go test drive it and CAREFULLY consider what's important to you. Look 12 months down the road - will you still value the same things? Cars are expensive to trade in and out of, so you want to make sure your decision is the right one for the longer haul.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2014, 12:02 AM   #6
ARKONE
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezmaass View Post
I think you'll regret it.

The 550xi is a very nice DD... but I can say that after driving 3-series cars for 13 years or so. I would have respected the 550xi in my 20's, but I can tell you - I wouldn't have wanted to drive it. It's targeted at the 30 - 50 something crowd... a spouse, maybe a kid or two. Honestly, it's a pretty big car. Get behind the wheel from your M3 and you'll feel it immediately.

I don't mind it, though, because I had more than a decade of small, nimble 3-series, and I have a dedicated "fun car" to make up for what I lost going from a 3 to 5. The 5 will feel large and nowhere near as nimble. Yes, it's powerful in a straight line - but it's the equivalent to a land yacht type of power, not a sports car.

Do I enjoy it? Absolutely. It's VERY comfortable, fits 4 adults nicely, has tons of nice luxury features, and the fit-and-finish (along with technology) is miles above anything in the 3-series class. So, if you value those things, it's a great car. But at 20, I can't imagine those are your priorities... especially coming from an M3.

If your biggest concern is your warranty running out, why not just get into a newer 3-series? My 335 was a GREAT car - small, fast, nimble - it won't be an M3, but it'll give you the trade-off you're looking for on warranty coverage while not completely sacrificing sporting abilities. I don't mean to make the 5 sound like an "unsporty" car - it's quite sporty for a car of its size and class - but it's just not going to compare well with an M3 or a nicely tuned standard 3-series.

I'd go test drive it and CAREFULLY consider what's important to you. Look 12 months down the road - will you still value the same things? Cars are expensive to trade in and out of, so you want to make sure your decision is the right one for the longer haul.
I think it depends on the person. I am 19 and I love my F10. I found my 2011 E90 to be too small and while it was tossing it around corners, the F10 is a whole another beast. It makes far more of a statement with it's presence than a 3-series, of which there are multiple at my college.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2014, 09:20 AM   #7
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535i 6sp. DHP/RWD

Quote:
If your biggest concern is your warranty running out, why not just get into a newer 3-series? My 335 was a GREAT car - small, fast, nimble - it won't be an M3,....
Great advice in my opinion.

While I absolutely love 5 series, I'm almost certain I wouldn't appreciate what it has to offer as much in my 20s. I think 1, 3 and even 4 series are better suited cars for that age group. I do get that this is fairly broad statement and might not apply to all 20 year olds out there.

Also, speaking of generalization (always dangerous and most of the time wrong thing to do), 19 and 20 year olds in M3 and 550??? Yes, I get it, it might just all work fine and well, but cant' help my initial reaction of "Yikes, that's a lot of car at that age."

At the risk of sounding like your (ever so slightly judgmental) but well meaning old(er) uncle ... just make sure you guys are (somewhat) responsible on the road with those.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2014, 09:44 PM   #8
Burstey
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbb34 View Post
Great advice in my opinion.

While I absolutely love 5 series, I'm almost certain I wouldn't appreciate what it has to offer as much in my 20s. I think 1, 3 and even 4 series are better suited cars for that age group. I do get that this is fairly broad statement and might not apply to all 20 year olds out there.

Also, speaking of generalization (always dangerous and most of the time wrong thing to do), 19 and 20 year olds in M3 and 550??? Yes, I get it, it might just all work fine and well, but cant' help my initial reaction of "Yikes, that's a lot of car at that age."

At the risk of sounding like your (ever so slightly judgmental) but well meaning old(er) uncle ... just make sure you guys are (somewhat) responsible on the road with those.
Thank you to everyone who responded. I first want to say I think that lately I have found that a bigger car would be more ideal for my everyday lifestyle. Sometimes having an M3 is a pain, because of hauling stuff around. I can also see where you're coming from when you mention I won't appreciate everything, and you're honestly probably right. I just fell in love with the way that car looks on the road. It's an amazing looking car with still a bit of engine. I was driving earlier and just ripping through gears, which is something I normally do, but almost saying my goodbyes to the car just in case it all goes down Saturday. I've had the car for a short amount of time, but it's been fun. Overall, the car has made me a better driver and just appreciate cars even more. I had a fully custom Evo 8 before that and I've always respected my cars more than most 30 year olds do around here.

I think I just got worried with my M3 and thats what triggered the thought of switching over. Recently, I just keep finding small things wrong with it. Today I realized the mirror is getting stuck while backing up, back left tire is bad, leather is wearing down. These are just small things that makes me want to just go to something new. I got in a rush to buy my M3, because it was truly my dream car, but I think for now I need to switch. I will go back eventually, but I am just falling in love with the 550.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2014, 10:41 PM   #9
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burstey View Post
Thank you to everyone who responded. I first want to say I think that lately I have found that a bigger car would be more ideal for my everyday lifestyle. Sometimes having an M3 is a pain, because of hauling stuff around. I can also see where you're coming from when you mention I won't appreciate everything, and you're honestly probably right. I just fell in love with the way that car looks on the road. It's an amazing looking car with still a bit of engine. I was driving earlier and just ripping through gears, which is something I normally do, but almost saying my goodbyes to the car just in case it all goes down Saturday. I've had the car for a short amount of time, but it's been fun. Overall, the car has made me a better driver and just appreciate cars even more. I had a fully custom Evo 8 before that and I've always respected my cars more than most 30 year olds do around here.

I think I just got worried with my M3 and thats what triggered the thought of switching over. Recently, I just keep finding small things wrong with it. Today I realized the mirror is getting stuck while backing up, back left tire is bad, leather is wearing down. These are just small things that makes me want to just go to something new. I got in a rush to buy my M3, because it was truly my dream car, but I think for now I need to switch. I will go back eventually, but I am just falling in love with the 550.
I don't know. I see where you're coming from in one way - when I was your age I loved the 7 series... great looking car with tons of road presence. But I still couldn't imagine driving one. The 550 is a wonderful car, and it's a beautiful looking sedan... probably the best 5 series IMO that BMW put out - purely based on styling. Handling? That may be a different story depending on where your values lie.

But as I said, it's a BIG car. This thing ways around 4,400lbs and you'll feel it's length and width coming from a 3-series. I'm trying to picture being 20 and picking up a date in a 5-series, too. I think I'd feel like I was picking up my date in my dad's car. Now that I'm 35, and I AM a dad, and I'm a "grown up" accomplished professional, married, home-owner, the whole nine yards, the 5-series is fitting. But I'll tell you, even at 35, sometimes I get an eerie feeling when I glance over at other 5-series on the road and there's a gray-haired dude inside. This board may have more enthusiasts, and therefore a younger average age, but the reality is most 5 owners are probably in their 40's and 50's.

"Life" will happen one day - you'll wake up and find that you've got to stick a baby seat in your car, and priorities will be more family-oriented than reckless whims. It's just a car... but I'd say enjoy your 20's. You have plenty of time to drive large family sedans. Now's the time in your life when you can get away with 2-seaters, small and nimble cars, stuff that's more "sex appeal" than "family appeal." Admire the 550, sure - but drive something more youthful. I don't know what your finances can support (and don't go nuts here - be smart), but what about a truly fun car? Get a rag-top Boxster... a Z4... yeah, truly impractical for most people... but you're 20! Live like it. You won't be there forever!
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2014, 12:01 AM   #10
ARKONE
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I don't know. I see where you're coming from in one way - when I was your age I loved the 7 series... great looking car with tons of road presence. But I still couldn't imagine driving one. The 550 is a wonderful car, and it's a beautiful looking sedan... probably the best 5 series IMO that BMW put out - purely based on styling. Handling? That may be a different story depending on where your values lie.

But as I said, it's a BIG car. This thing ways around 4,400lbs and you'll feel it's length and width coming from a 3-series. I'm trying to picture being 20 and picking up a date in a 5-series, too. I think I'd feel like I was picking up my date in my dad's car. Now that I'm 35, and I AM a dad, and I'm a "grown up" accomplished professional, married, home-owner, the whole nine yards, the 5-series is fitting. But I'll tell you, even at 35, sometimes I get an eerie feeling when I glance over at other 5-series on the road and there's a gray-haired dude inside. This board may have more enthusiasts, and therefore a younger average age, but the reality is most 5 owners are probably in their 40's and 50's.

"Life" will happen one day - you'll wake up and find that you've got to stick a baby seat in your car, and priorities will be more family-oriented than reckless whims. It's just a car... but I'd say enjoy your 20's. You have plenty of time to drive large family sedans. Now's the time in your life when you can get away with 2-seaters, small and nimble cars, stuff that's more "sex appeal" than "family appeal." Admire the 550, sure - but drive something more youthful. I don't know what your finances can support (and don't go nuts here - be smart), but what about a truly fun car? Get a rag-top Boxster... a Z4... yeah, truly impractical for most people... but you're 20! Live like it. You won't be there forever!
Hey now... a 550i can be an aggressive lookig, sexy as fuck car. My dates have all loved my car, but I guess it depends on the girls you go for. Granted I have one of the fastest, if not the fastest car on campus, only other compeititon would be a 2008 Z4.

I've considered dropping down from a 550 to a M4, but I just can't do it. I had a mustang before hand and it sucked. Maybe the 4-series is another ballgame, but not sure.

I too will be dumping my 550 since it's out of warranty and I was planning on picking up a 2013 550, but you're making me second guess myself. What you said is a 100% true, maybe I should look into a 435 or an M4, just to get back into a coupe. You're talking about a family car, yet you have an R8?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2014, 11:06 AM   #11
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535i 6sp. DHP/RWD

Quote:
... You're talking about a family car, yet you have an R8?
Yes... because 550 as great as it is, has failed to impress girls from nearby campus (or any younger than 30 really), so he's gone for R8

NOT being serious here of course.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2014, 11:17 AM   #12
Dante269
Hard to be Humble
United_States
Rep
Drives: E60-545 & F10-550

this post makes me feel all warm inside LOL
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2014, 12:53 PM   #13
ARKONE
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbb34 View Post
Yes... because 550 as great as it is, has failed to impress girls from nearby campus (or any younger than 30 really), so he's gone for R8

NOT being serious here of course.
All most girls see is a shiny black BMW. Let's just say this gets double looks wherever it goes because I keep it clean in this snow/salt-infested hellhole called Nebraska.

Have a few more mods I need to do: Blacked out emblems, white fogs, LCI grille with M accents, lower the car with Eibach springs, and a few misc things.

OP have you had a chance to testdrive a 550 yet?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-21-2014, 08:12 PM   #14
Burstey
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
All most girls see is a shiny black BMW. Let's just say this gets double looks wherever it goes because I keep it clean in this snow/salt-infested hellhole called Nebraska.

Have a few more mods I need to do: Blacked out emblems, white fogs, LCI grille with M accents, lower the car with Eibach springs, and a few misc things.

I get to go test drive the car tomorrow morning at 8am. Ill most likely decide on the spot if I want to keep my car or trade it in. By the way, that black on black 550 looks amazing.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2014, 05:47 PM   #15
ARKONE
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burstey View Post
I get to go test drive the car tomorrow morning at 8am. Ill most likely decide on the spot if I want to keep my car or trade it in. By the way, that black on black 550 looks amazing.

Suprisingly not black. I have the Dark Graphite Metallic which is a super wierd color. In some pictures it comes out as Navy. In real life it looks like a dark grey, but I can throw filters and make it into black and so on. Same car as above but now it's nearly navy....

Build log is in my sig. If you get a F10, the mods for it are endless, not to mention dirt cheap. I think I spent no more than $2,500 modding my car, and will probably spend another $1,000 before it's perfect to me. Well worth it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-22-2014, 10:15 PM   #16
Burstey
Private First Class
Rep

Welp.... I ended up coming home with nothing. The dealership wanted my 2011 M3 and $4000 which I told them they're crazy. I talked to them on the phone and they said to make the drive, because they're willing to trade straight up, because I've purchased multiple cars there. Well I went today and drove 2.5 hours to get there for him to tell me it's gonna take an extra $4000 when my car is actually worth more than the 550 I was looking at. It's either not my time to get the car or maybe I just have to keep looking.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2014, 11:07 PM   #17
550Reasons
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i

I hear ya man, the guy did something similar to me, but with 2 grand, but I ended up buying the car regardless, i was blinded by it lol
2016 550i
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2014, 11:08 PM   #18
Burstey
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

Btw, are you selling this car on eBay? I may be interested.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2014, 08:40 PM   #19
NewM3driver
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

I have had an M3 and have had a 550. They are dramatically different. The 550 will not handle anything like the M car, but is much more comfortable. coming out of an M its going to feel like a Buick unless it has DHP. At 20 I would say keep the M3. Lots of years to be old, sensible and responsible.

At 22 I was driving a Porsche. It was awesome. My little brother totaled it (not his fault and he wasn't hurt). I went out and got a black on black E300 Mercedes. It was beautiful, refined, comfortable and sensible. After a month I HATED it.

Be careful.
Appreciate 0