2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes Is it Normal to Have Slight Scratchiness in Brake Pedal After New Pads/Rotors?

07-02-2015, 09:10 AM   #1
BMW49
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10

Is it Normal to Have Slight Scratchiness in Brake Pedal After New Pads/Rotors?

I had a question for anyone who's had front rotors & pads changed. Is it unusual or irregular to feel a very slight "unsmoothness" or scratchiness feeling in the brake pedal when lightly tapping it (coming to a stop).

I've put about 300-350 miles on it them so far and wondering if the feeling will fade. Also, my rear brakes are due for service in 400 miles and am not sure if those could be the culprit (unfamiliar with if you can even feel the rear brakes thru the pedal?).

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2015, 04:31 PM   #2
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Just had mine done recently and didn't have anything like your describing. Did u look at the rotors and see if there's any scarring are deep scratches on the rotors now? R BMW now using semi metallic pads? U could always spray some brake cleaner and see what happens or else bring it back to them.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2015, 01:21 AM   #3
BMW49
Private
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the feedback Isturbo - I looked at the rotors but didn't see any thing out of the ordinary, but maybe I not sure what they're supposed to look like to begin with.

Good point about brake cleaner and maybe I'll try that out. BTW, I did bring it back to the dealer initially and they said they couldn't replicate the issue (go figure). Wondering what my options are now.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2015, 02:21 AM   #4
mko9
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 535i

Try to find a quiet stretch of highway (in NOVA ) and bed them in properly to see if that fixes the problem.

'04 330i ZHP
'11 535i
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2015, 10:54 PM   #5
BMW49
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mko9
Try to find a quiet stretch of highway (in NOVA ) and bed them in properly to see if that fixes the problem.
(Laughing) the day I find an open road in Nova, will be the day I'm driving an Alpina lol.

So I doubt I could properly bed the brakes (safely) in this area...would this be something the dealer could do?
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2015, 01:01 AM   #6
mko9
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 535i

Actually, I-295 between the Beltway and Bolling/Anacostia is pretty empty on nights and weekends. Normally the only traffic there is folks going to work at Bolling and the Navy Research Labs. Just look out for the two speed cameras.

'04 330i ZHP
'11 535i
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2015, 10:56 PM   #7
BMW49
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mko9 View Post
Actually, I-295 between the Beltway and Bolling/Anacostia is pretty empty on nights and weekends. Normally the only traffic there is folks going to work at Bolling and the Navy Research Labs. Just look out for the two speed cameras.
mko9, So I think I've found the reason for the slight scratchiness. After doing a visual inspection of all the rotors, I found that the front left driver-side has a heat spot ring around the entire rotor (think of a darker ring that stands out from the rest of rotor).

I'm not a brake expert but this is the only visual thing I see that looks different than all of the rotors (the other 3 are free of any major anomalies). I'll snap a pic tomorrow and post. Thoughts anyone?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2015, 05:04 AM   #8
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Definitely take a picture... interesting find. Not sure if this is the culprit?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2015, 01:35 PM   #9
BMW49
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg
Definitely take a picture... interesting find. Not sure if this is the culprit?
Here it goes - I attached a pic of the left front rotor with the dark ring and the right front rotor that appears normal.

Thoughts anyone?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-07-2015, 04:11 PM   #10
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

I'm gonna say it's the pads? Maybe defective? Can they replace it?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2015, 08:05 PM   #11
OEMonsterz
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 535D M Sport

Maybe something totally unrelated but balancing and alignment are important factors for uneven wear. Don't personally think your rotors or pads are faulty, but brakes on the left maybe over compensating for uneven wear on the rears. My TT had a similar issue as it did have Dynamic Brake Force Distribution which throws power to the corner which needs it most at the time of braking. You haven't mentioned whether your car is a RWD or 4WD. But if you do still have concerns either check the above or go back to the garage and voice your concerns now before it beds uneven throughout.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2015, 08:59 PM   #12
BMW49
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg
I'm gonna say it's the pads? Maybe defective? Can they replace it?
I'm actually gonna bring it in this week to the dealer to get looked at. Its still under warranty, so hopefully they'll fix it considering I have some decent visual evidence of the rotor looking abnormal.

I do think the brake pad or the caliper may need to be fixed too - it seems that its somehow "biting" down on the rotor unevenly. Will def keep you posted!
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2015, 09:06 PM   #13
BMW49
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OEMonsterz
Maybe something totally unrelated but balancing and alignment are important factors for uneven wear. Don't personally think your rotors or pads are faulty, but brakes on the left maybe over compensating for uneven wear on the rears. My TT had a similar issue as it did have Dynamic Brake Force Distribution which throws power to the corner which needs it most at the time of braking. You haven't mentioned whether your car is a RWD or 4WD. But if you do still have concerns either check the above or go back to the garage and voice your concerns now before it beds uneven throughout.
Thanks for the feedback & agreed. So for some background, the dealer did tell me before my last service visit that my tires had some feathering due to it being out of alignment and a bad tie rod, that I got replaced. I want to replace the tires with non RFT's soon but don't want to go out of my budget. Did you have any other contributing issues that were causing your brakes to have a scratchy feel? And I have AWD on my 535i.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2015, 05:09 AM   #14
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

It could Also be the calipers seals sticking? They can be rebuild
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2015, 05:07 PM   #15
BMW49
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
It could Also be the calipers seals sticking? They can be rebuild
Good point...I bring it in tomorrow morning and hope to figure out what it is. My SA is pretty good so I'm sure I'll have a good diagnosis. I'll keep you posted and thanks for all the help!
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2015, 06:55 PM   #16
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro.M3 View Post
Good point...I bring it in tomorrow morning and hope to figure out what it is. My SA is pretty good so I'm sure I'll have a good diagnosis. I'll keep you posted and thanks for all the help!
NP! Definitely keep us posted and let us know what ur SA says.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2015, 01:37 AM   #17
BMW49
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
NP! Definitely keep us posted and let us know what ur SA says.
Ls, so the issue was a seized caliper which was wearing the rotor unevenly and was actually "blueing" the metal on it. They replaced the caliper/rotors and all is well now. Good to go, thanks again for the help!
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2015, 07:40 AM   #18
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro.M3 View Post
Ls, so the issue was a seized caliper which was wearing the rotor unevenly and was actually "blueing" the metal on it. They replaced the caliper/rotors and all is well now. Good to go, thanks again for the help!
I knew it...seized caliper because of a seal sticking from going back to It's normal position after being pressed. At least they fixed the issue...did they swap the rotor?

Last edited by lsturbointeg; 07-17-2015 at 07:45 AM..
Appreciate 0