2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK About to order a 535d m sport but a bit sad

09-01-2011, 04:20 PM   #1
Holmax
Rep
Drives: Mercedes E63 Amg

About to order a 535d m sport but a bit sad

Hi guys, my first post here.
I've decided to get rid of my merc e63 amg and come over to the dark side
Fuel has just got to a point where it is so crazily expensive that it's taking the fun out of 6.2 litre ownership.
I've had a few mercs over the years and to be honest, as good as my e is (new shape version), I've got a bit bored of them. The 535d seems to be a great compromise between power and economy.
I've a couple of questions before I actually order though.

1. I've gone for the pro sat nav with rear screen entertainment package along with 6 DVD changer. Will DVDs actually play on the front screen as well as the two rears?

2. What the hell is a universal remote?

3. I've gone for 19" wheels but I notice they are run-flats, will my non run-flat
Winter tyres (19") be able to be fitted or do I have to get new winter tyres?

4. Do I need to order anything other than just a cable for my iPod to work with the above sat nav?

5. Is the sports gearbox worth the £110 extra

No doubt I'll think of other questions, but these are my main ones. I know how annoying at can be if you get things wrong at order time so big thanks to any of you guys who can help out with these questions.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 01:04 AM   #2
Matt01
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 320d Lux

Welcome to the dark (the best) side.... Your making the right choice....

I can't answer every question but where's what I do know.

1. While moving the front screen won't show DVDs, but there are some ways around that. I'm using my iPhone so I can't post the link, but in the main forum there is a thread that talks in much detail, titled www.dvdinmotion.com I think.

2. No sure, I thinks it for the DVD etc.

3. Again not sure.

4. Nope, just the standard White iPhone cable.

5. Worth every single penny, you will kick yourself everyday if you dont spec it...

Just as an a aside, there is talk of a 550d just not sure how far away that is...
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 01:26 AM   #3
kn1
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F07 - 530d GT

I also can't answer all but here's what I do know:

1 - Go with Matt's answer

2 - a Universal remote is for things like automatic garage doors, in-built in the car is an IR and you can programme it to replace a number of separate remote controllers

3 - Lots of debate about whether you can fit non RFT tyres if the car's been set up for harder sidewall RFTs but yes it is possible but you may find the ride/handling softer. The bigger question is whether the tyres you've already got will fit, either on the wheels at all if the width is different or whether the rolling circumference is correct depending on the tyre size you're replacing, if not it can affect your gearing ratios and speedo accuracy.

4 & 5 - Answered by Matt
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 02:40 AM   #4
blaz
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 520d,F30 330e,G20 M340i

I'm new to the range, but

is 4 the best answer? USB Phone accessory allows album artwork - can you get it without that?

is 5 correct for M sport versions?

SE Auto plus sport adjusts the suspension amongst others - but I thought M Sport Suspension was 'fixed'?
      09-02-2011, 05:16 AM   #5
Holmax
Rep

Thanks for the quick replys guys.
I'm sure I won't be disappointed coming across to the 'dark side'. Years ago I had a mk2 318i and loved the handling on that car although it used to get a bit hairy on wet roundabouts!
Just before my amg I had an Audi rs6 and really didn't like the rock hard suspension on that car and from reading, the s line a6's are just as stiff, so hopefully the bimmer is a bit softer.

I'm not bothered about DVD while actually driving, it's more for when my better half goes into Asda, I hate shopping so generally sit in the car and watch a film. So can you play DVDs on the front screen at stand still?

I've read a bit about fitting non run flats and as you guys have pointed out it can affect handling, but as my winter tyres are 265x35x19 the side wall is already very shallow so I can't imagine it will effect the handling very much and at the end of the day you can't really exploit the handling to much extent on damp cold winter roads.
My merc book recommends 255 on every wheel with winter tyres (normal summer tyres are 285x30 rear and 245x35 front) but as winter tyres were like rocking horse dodahs last year I had to get 265's right round. So I can't imagine them not fitting ok.

Does anyone know if you can actually order the car with non run flats?

Last edited by Holmax; 09-02-2011 at 05:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 06:05 AM   #6
blaz
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 520d,F30 330e,G20 M340i

try and get a go in a 535d SE with auto with the sport option. I like my fillings to be shaken out but the sport option gives a very good setup imho.
      09-02-2011, 06:49 AM   #7
kn1
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F07 - 530d GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holmax View Post
My merc book recommends 255 on every wheel with winter tyres (normal summer tyres are 285x30 rear and 245x35 front) but as winter tyres were like rocking horse dodahs last year I had to get 265's right round. So I can't imagine them not fitting ok.
It's important to consider the tyre's width and section profile together as these determine the overall diameter and therefore the rolling cricumference (i.e. the distance travelled by one revolution of the wheel).

The section profile is not a fixed unit but is actually a % of the tyre width so in terms of the sizes you give for the merc, a 285/30 means the sidewall is 30% of the 285mm width = 85.5mm; and 245/35 means the sidewall is 35% of 245mm = 85.75mm. So even though they're different widths and ratios front and back they have the same height of sidewall and thus the same circumference.

The 255 winter tyres recommended on your merc I assume would have been 35 series (89mm sidewall height), but if you fitted 265/35 the sidewall height would be 92.75mm, and your starting to increase above 5% of teh original 85mm - which starts affecting your gearing and speedo accuracy (if your overall tyre/wheel is bigger in circumference you're going faster than the car thinks you are!)

If the 265 were 30 series then the height is 79.5mm and your starting to go too far the other way.

Hope this all makes sense.

What profile are the 265's you have and what size are the original 19" summer tyres?
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 02:22 PM   #8
Holmax
Rep

The summer tyres are 245,35,19 front and 285,30,19 rear.
The winter ones are 265,35,19 all round. I have a gps radar detector in my merc and from what I remember last winter the speedo was still pretty accurate with the winter tyres checking it against my gps.

Been into the dealers again this afternoon and agreed a price etc, the biggest problem now is getting rid of the merc. They are struggling to find a buyer, the big problem is nobody wants 19mpg cars.
I did check a couple of sites yesterday such as we buy any car etc and found one with a decent price but stupidly forgot to bookmark the site, doh!
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2011, 10:44 AM   #9
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holmax View Post
Hi guys, my first post here.
I've decided to get rid of my merc e63 amg and come over to the dark side
Fuel has just got to a point where it is so crazily expensive that it's taking the fun out of 6.2 litre ownership.
I've had a few mercs over the years and to be honest, as good as my e is (new shape version), I've got a bit bored of them. The 535d seems to be a great compromise between power and economy.
I've a couple of questions before I actually order though.

1. I've gone for the pro sat nav with rear screen entertainment package along with 6 DVD changer. Will DVDs actually play on the front screen as well as the two rears?

2. What the hell is a universal remote?

3. I've gone for 19" wheels but I notice they are run-flats, will my non run-flat
Winter tyres (19") be able to be fitted or do I have to get new winter tyres?

4. Do I need to order anything other than just a cable for my iPod to work with the above sat nav?

5. Is the sports gearbox worth the £110 extra

No doubt I'll think of other questions, but these are my main ones. I know how annoying at can be if you get things wrong at order time so big thanks to any of you guys who can help out with these questions.
1/ DVD will play on front screen stationary NOT moving.

2/ Universal remote NOt required.

3/ Your NONE run-flat tyres will fit but what happens if you get a puncture?.
BMW recommend 245/45/18 RUN-FLATS all round for winter set-up.

4/ Yes provided you have the option on the car.

5/ Sport auto is a MUST have, you can then adjust suspension gear train and steering independently.

I have the only 550i M Sport in the UK, soon going to listers at the end of the year for the new X3 M Sport 35D fully loaded, it arrives December/Jan.
This new engine with the 8 speed gearbox is stonking quick, 313BHP and 630NM torque. You will not miss the E62 AMG apart from crappy economy.
The torque of the 35D engine is huge.
      09-03-2011, 12:49 PM   #10
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

535d with sport auto and if you can find an extra £2.2k the adaptive drive is fantastic - from soft and bouncy in comfort mode through to near flat high speed cornering in sport and sport+, whilst retaining a surprisingly considerable degree of compliance.
Adaptive bi-xenon headlights and comfort seats are also excellent.
On a note of caution: the electric power steering can take a bit of getting used to, so I'd strongly recommend that you take an extended test drive. Any decent dealer should let you have the car for a weekend.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2011, 02:48 PM   #11
Holmax
Rep

Unfortunately I'm in a wheelchair and need hand controls to drive the car so test drives are out for me.
I've been in again today though and have now placed my order. Managed to spend ten grand on optional extras while doing so!
The adaptive drive is something that I haven't ordered but I did go for the sports gearbox as you guys recommended.
I've also gone for the professional stereo so I can be certain of drowning out that diesel noise!
I'm sure I'm going to really enjoy this car but must admit I'll be very sorry to see the merc go. But at least I've still got a couple more months to enjoy it.
Thanks again for the help.

P.s
Johnbmw6,
You are right in the respect that I won't miss the crappy economy, but I will miss the 200bhp that I'm dropping, and I don't care what anyone says, torque is a poor substitute to bhp
Appreciate 0