2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics DIY Guides & Discussions F10 550 night vision diy request

11-15-2015, 11:27 PM   #1
mikekilpatrick
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW F10 550 Xdrive Msport

F10 550 night vision diy request

So, I just had my car coded by bimmertech yesterday and my self installed surround view works perfectly! Cost about 2 grand for all of the parts which I out together here on the forums and on eBay. Bought cables and coding from bimmertech and they provided me install instructions as well.

So, on to my next retrofit. Night vision! Has anyone acquired the retrofit guides for the install? Looking for all of the part numbers and the diy guide to start this project.

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2015, 02:42 AM   #2
IanS100
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 520d F10 LCI M Sport

Sorry to go off topic so quickly, but I have a Bimmertech front camera to install on my 2015 F10, how difficult did you find it getting wires through the front firewall?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2015, 08:54 AM   #3
mikekilpatrick
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanS100 View Post
Sorry to go off topic so quickly, but I have a Bimmertech front camera to install on my 2015 F10, how difficult did you find it getting wires through the front firewall?
No worries. First, in the front bumper cover, you do not have to remove the bumper to install the camera. Just pull the inner Fender well covering and look for the "0" mark on the inside of the Bumper cover. Center punch it and they drill out using increasing drill bit sizes with one step increases. Or purchase a Nitriding Black Spiral Groove Drilling Ladder Step Drill 10-45mm which I purchased on amazon.

Now, running the wires... Follow the factory wiring harness and clip the OEM zip ties that are mounted in the car. Run your cable and insert a new zip tie. See attached instructions. The drivers side (left) is easy and straight forward. Remove the kick panel on the drivers side (disconnect battery first to ensure no air bag deployment and prevent error code being thrown). Drill a hole in the rubber grommet and run your cable through. I removed the colored end connector before running the cable to reduce size of hole that was needed. Once cable is run, use a silicone gel to seal hole so no moisture gets through.

Now, the Passenger side (right), THAT is a little more difficult. You will have to remove the top portion of the blower motor. Not really hard, just a little tedious. Again, remove passenger side kick panel and make sure battery is disconnected. Remove the screw that holds in the fuse box and set to one side.

Go into engine compartment, remove right side plastic engine skirt. Take the 3 or 4 screws out of the top electrical box, disconnect red power wire and remove. There will be 4 more screws that hold the blower housing in place. Remove those and then remove the 3 screws holding blower motor in place. There are several electrical connections to disconnect, but all are pretty straight forward. Run you passenger side Camera cable in through the rubber grommet and into the blower motor area. Ensure you zip tie the cable against OEM wiring harness to make sure the blower motor does not rub against your camera cable. You will be able to see right into the passenger side floor board once you remove the blower motor so it will be common sense on how to run.

Bring into passenger area and then make sure you run the cables up away from passenger feet so there is no damage to occur to wires.

Run the two cables over to drivers area.

...mike
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: pdf F10_LeftSideViewCameraCable.pdf (352.0 KB, 354 views)
File Type: pdf F10_RightSideViewCameraCable.pdf (356.6 KB, 322 views)
File Type: pdf F10_SideViewCameraHolderReplacement.pdf (77.0 KB, 231 views)
File Type: pdf F10_SideViewCameraReplacement.pdf (93.1 KB, 256 views)
File Type: pdf F10_TCU1.pdf (56.2 KB, 295 views)
Appreciate 1
      11-16-2015, 01:29 PM   #4
IanS100
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 520d F10 LCI M Sport

Hi Mike, thanks for the detailed instructions which should come in very useful. The camera I'm installing is a single unit that faces forward and fits in the front centre lower grill. I have no idea how this comes off but it looks like I'll have to remove the bumper in order to remove the grill. From there I guess I’ll have a choice which way to route the cable, unfortunately all of the diagrams I’ve seen refer to LHD cars and I don't know whether the firewall is the same or mirrored in a RHD car, but from what you’ve said the drivers side (left) is easiest, so I’ll have a go at that first. Many thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2015, 05:36 PM   #5
mikekilpatrick
Major
United_States
Rep

I have some install instructions for night vision for the previous model. Will post later.

Her is the link for the E60 DIY. If anyone has the f 10 DIY, I would appreciate a post here. I have the night vision camera and now need a part list for the rest.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/att...2&d=1397910637

Camera part number for 04/2013 build is 66549203322

Last edited by mikekilpatrick; 11-22-2015 at 03:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 02:29 PM   #6
cb224
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: IOMG G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikekilpatrick View Post
No worries. First, in the front bumper cover, you do not have to remove the bumper to install the camera. Just pull the inner Fender well covering and look for the "0" mark on the inside of the Bumper cover. Center punch it and they drill out using increasing drill bit sizes with one step increases. Or purchase a Nitriding Black Spiral Groove Drilling Ladder Step Drill 10-45mm which I purchased on amazon.

Now, running the wires... Follow the factory wiring harness and clip the OEM zip ties that are mounted in the car. Run your cable and insert a new zip tie. See attached instructions. The drivers side (left) is easy and straight forward. Remove the kick panel on the drivers side (disconnect battery first to ensure no air bag deployment and prevent error code being thrown). Drill a hole in the rubber grommet and run your cable through. I removed the colored end connector before running the cable to reduce size of hole that was needed. Once cable is run, use a silicone gel to seal hole so no moisture gets through.

Now, the Passenger side (right), THAT is a little more difficult. You will have to remove the top portion of the blower motor. Not really hard, just a little tedious. Again, remove passenger side kick panel and make sure battery is disconnected. Remove the screw that holds in the fuse box and set to one side.

Go into engine compartment, remove right side plastic engine skirt. Take the 3 or 4 screws out of the top electrical box, disconnect red power wire and remove. There will be 4 more screws that hold the blower housing in place. Remove those and then remove the 3 screws holding blower motor in place. There are several electrical connections to disconnect, but all are pretty straight forward. Run you passenger side Camera cable in through the rubber grommet and into the blower motor area. Ensure you zip tie the cable against OEM wiring harness to make sure the blower motor does not rub against your camera cable. You will be able to see right into the passenger side floor board once you remove the blower motor so it will be common sense on how to run.

Bring into passenger area and then make sure you run the cables up away from passenger feet so there is no damage to occur to wires.

Run the two cables over to drivers area.

...mike
I'm assuming the kick panel is the area just below the glove box? Any photos of the "right side plastic engine skirt" to be sure that I'm looking at the correct thing?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 01:39 PM   #7
mikekilpatrick
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb224 View Post
I'm assuming the kick panel is the area just below the glove box? Any photos of the "right side plastic engine skirt" to be sure that I'm looking at the correct thing?
Let me check for pics. What you have to do is go into the engine compartment. On the passenger side, just below the windshield, in the engine compartment is the Blower motor air box.

4 screws for top cover
Make sure to disconnect battery in trunk
Disconnect Red Power wire under cover in engine (the one with the 4 screws)
Remove 2 more screws and then power assembly
Remove screws for blower motor
Remove blower motor
You can now see into the passenger compartment

Will look for pics.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 10:52 PM   #8
cb224
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: IOMG G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikekilpatrick View Post
Let me check for pics. What you have to do is go into the engine compartment. On the passenger side, just below the windshield, in the engine compartment is the Blower motor air box.

4 screws for top cover
Make sure to disconnect battery in trunk
Disconnect Red Power wire under cover in engine (the one with the 4 screws)
Remove 2 more screws and then power assembly
Remove screws for blower motor
Remove blower motor
You can now see into the passenger compartment

Will look for pics.

Mike
Thanks for the reply Mike! I'm trying to route my BMS Data cable into the glove box for data logging, etc. Looking forward to any pics if you get some!
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 11:24 PM   #9
mikekilpatrick
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb224 View Post
Thanks for the reply Mike! I'm trying to route my BMS Data cable into the glove box for data logging, etc. Looking forward to any pics if you get some!
Let me search my computer. Just put a new laptop into operation and still pulling data files from one to another
Appreciate 0